NAD: Roland Jazz Chorus

What's Hot
mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
Goodbye woolly and farty or harsh and cold valve amps, hello solid-state 80s chime and sparkle!

It turns out that the 'JC clean' sound has been the sound in my head for some time. So, a Roland JC-40 arrived this morning from Coda.

The 3D sound of the stereo chorus is very addictive ... and then there's the stereo FX loop. Add a Big Sky to the mix and you get instant stadium sized sound in your living room.

Really inspiring amp.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nice, would love to try one.  Clips would be good if you get a chance :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1778
    I've played through one a few times at a local jam night and it always sounds fantastic. The chorus is lush
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    A couple of times a year, I had to use the same hire company for a backline and my go-to amp was the rather rare Roland JC-180 (4x10). It was a thing of beauty with such a great and useable clean sound but it loved pedals. It was actually the hire company owners personal amp and the b'stard wouldn't sell it to me! 

You mentioned the much-lauded clean channel but are you using or have you tried any dirt pedals with it and if so, what's it like? Also, is the 40 watts loud enough to gig in a full band?

Glad you're enjoying it
  • I'm sure this was a That Pedal Show story that all the classic Boss pedals were tested on the JC series so it takes anything based on those really well. 

I do have a huge man crush on a JC40 and the notion that it would be brilliant as part of a twin combo live set up. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    I really have the hots for the dinky JC22, the price just makes it a bit too serious a decision, but you never know.....
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I'm another Roland Jazz Chorus owner - a JC-22. The 40 is a great amp - just too loud for my small music room. I find mine takes Strymon and Boss pedals very well .. the Timeline sounds gorgeous.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • They do sound nice although I never found that they took drive pedals well, at leasr compared to my two valve amps. They sound nice wound up slightly with a twelve string.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited February 2017
    @menamestom ;

Here's a few sound samples. Volume is on 2, recorded with a Tascam DR-40 about 12" from the amp

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Excellent amps, nice choice, congrats!

I was all set to get a JC40 before the Mesa Rectoverb came calling. Stereo effects sound magnificent in these amps, especially the Eventides.
  • These sound lovely, would love the little new one, the official demo they did for that was beautiful sounding and the above recordings also bear that out. I just wish they did one between the 22 and 40 as the 40 is way too large physically for my requirements
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic

• Sounds lovely@mellowsun  Very warm but clear. Thanks for posting.