Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So - will I regret it if I buy a Helix?

What's Hot

Comments

• Distance selling law gives you 30 days to check it out and as long as it goes back in the same condish, you don't even have to say why you're sending it back. Assuming you buy it online

If you've got the cash to splurge, dive in and try it for a week to ten days. Should give you enough of an idea...at that point if it's not worth the extra coin, send it back
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • For me, digital modelling can get the sound, but the feel is much harder to nail.

Nonetheless, I've decided I'm going to get a Helix to try as the convenience factor is massive. However I'm only going to buy one when I've sold enough gear to pay for it.

Current status: £1224 - (25 + 80 + 122) = £997 to go!

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Zodiac51 said:
    Sporky said:
    It is a huge step up in terms of quality and ease of use from the HD500X. And the interface is brilliant - if you do need to tweak then it's very flat, no menus.
    I've seen a bunch of youtube videos that have proven that is not at all flat, it is in-fact round, like a globe.
    Post em up or I call BS.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    siraxeman said:
    Zodiac51 said:
    Sporky said:
    It is a huge step up in terms of quality and ease of use from the HD500X. And the interface is brilliant - if you do need to tweak then it's very flat, no menus.
    I've seen a bunch of youtube videos that have proven that is not at all flat, it is in-fact round, like a globe.
    Post em up or I call BS.
    Oi, this is a good thread and informative............... GTFO!

;)
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

Yeah totally agree bugger off Zodiac51. Don't come here talking about globular Helix's. Heretic you.

:lol:

• guitarfishbay said:

There will be plenty of used Helix units in another couple of years.
    Presumably when Helix 2 is out....
    I assume that will be the Double Helix, powered by the DNA engine.

I'll get my coat.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited February 2017
    I'm kind of getting to the point where I don't think I can get the Pod HD500X to sound good enough and I'm seriously thinking about selling some kit and forking out for a Helix. But before I do...is it really  that much of a step up from the HD modelling? Will I be able to use the amp models live with minimal tweaking or will I spend the entire time buried in menus trying to get it to sound realistic and never quite succeeding (as I have been with the HD)?
    The only way for you to know is to go and try one.  And I don't mean a quick 10 minute strum and play with the controls - don't fall into the potential pitfall of being initially 'wowed' and rushing to part with your money only to discover later that its actually not quite right for you.  At this price you should feel perfectly comfortable to plant yourself in store with the manual for a good hour or two to really get a feel as to what it can do.  You may even want additional sessions - sometimes its a good idea to go back on a different day to check what you're hearing is still as good as you remember it.  A good store will have no problem with that and will appreciate this is an expensive item and that you are a serious prospective customer.  There is an added theme too that if you are able to build a rapport with the guys in store, it might help you to get a bit of a better deal. 

And even then I suggest you buy from a store with a 14 days return policy (or even from their on-line site) so you've an opportunity to hear it in your home environment with your own gear, just in case you then discover it doesn't suit.  

The other thing I would suggest is to be open-minded and compare it with other units such as AxFx, Amplifire, Headrush FX etc, so that you have a comparator not only tonally but functionality wise.  If possible, play units side-by-side - although I appreciate only bigger stores are likely to have all of these in stock to demo.   I can't stress enough that the functionality and ease of use on stage is particularly important if you are a gigging player and intend using this live.

I've not played a Helix, AxFx or Amplifire yet, but I didn't get on with units like the HD500x and Zoom G5 partly because of things like tone/noise, but largely because of 'tweakability'/functionality limitations and/or too many menus to scroll through.  That's why so far I've stuck with my Tonelab LE and SE.  

Its a big purchase, so regardless of what you read from others on reviews & forums, hear on videos, and your first impressions in store  - ignore the hype and take your time!  Its not about which units are good or bad or whether others love or hate certain units.  Its only about what's right for you! 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I hated the HD500x and love the Helix
    only my opinion but I think it sounds massively better
    the HD500x always had a digital clang I could never dial out
    Cabicular said:
    I hated the HD500x and love the Helix
    only my opinion but I think it sounds massively better
    the HD500x always had a digital clang I could never dial out
    +1 re the HD500x.  The Zoom G5 was actually better sounding but it was far from gig friendly re switching design, and both had far too many menus.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • I really struggled with the PODHD500X too, had a Helix for a few weeks and finding that it sounds much better. Just got a Yamaha DXR10 to play it through louder than my nearfields and like it. 

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Due to an unexpected bass player let down I had to get a dep  who need transport to the gig
    long story short it meant I was so tight on space in the S-Max I could have a monitor or a guitar amp
    so for the first time live I used the Helix only and monitored completely sans any valves on stage
    I didn't hate it ....
    in fact in a lot of ways it sounded great and felt really nice
    im sitting evaluating my life choices now

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • keirkeir Frets: 137
    Can you use them at home with headphones or do you need some sort of amp?
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    keir said:
    Can you use them at home with headphones or do you need some sort of amp?
    Headphone out with separate volume control. Use it all the time at home and it's really good. The stereo effects really pop.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Its one of those bits of kit, once you get one, you find more and more uses for it, I'd recommend one in a heartbeat, even though I moved mine on and bought an Axe-Fx, the Helix is still amazing value for money
    edited February 2017
    sweepy said:
    Its one of those bits of kit, once you get one, you find more and more uses for it, I'd recommend one in a heartbeat, even though I moved mine on and bought an Axe-Fx, the Helix is still amazing value for money
    So out of interest, what made you part with the Helix and buy an Axe-Fx?
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    I prefer the sound of the Axe-Fx. its a very personal thing tbh, the Helix is much more ergonomically designed and a lot more flexible than the Axe Fx, as well as being a damned sight cheaper. Friends that have played both my Helix setup and the Fractal have made the comment that the Axe Fx just sounded " better" I know ! ' ;)very hard to quantify. In balance, this was before the big firmware update to the Helix which apparently was a game changer. If I could afford both, I most certainly would get a Helix Rack as both units are equally worthy
    edited February 2017
    sweepy said:
     In balance, this was before the big firmware update to the Helix which apparently was a game changer. 
    I don't think there has been any game changing firmware updates. I've looked at the trail of changes on the Line 6 site and the modeling hasnt changed. Aside from a few new models added, most of the changes are bug fixes and enhanced functionality.  Whats interesting is just how many bug fixes there have been!
  • guitarfishbay said:

There will be plenty of used Helix units in another couple of years.
    Presumably when Helix 2 is out....
    I assume that will be the Double Helix, powered by the DNA engine.

I'll get my coat.
    You're a bit limited genre-wise on the Double Helix, your can only play deoxyribonucleic acid house music on it.

Yup, now also looking for my coat...
  • Voxman said:
    sweepy said:
     In balance, this was before the big firmware update to the Helix which apparently was a game changer. 
    I don't think there has been any game changing firmware updates. I've looked at the trail of changed on the Line 6 site and the modeling hasnt changed. Aside from a few new models added, most of the changes are bug fixes and enhanced functionality. 
    There's been big improvements in sound since v1
  • Voxman said:
    sweepy said:
    I don't think there has been any game changing firmware updates. I've looked at the trail of changed on the Line 6 site and the modeling hasnt changed. Aside from a few new models added, most of the changes are bug fixes and enhanced functionality. 
    I think that depends on whether you're a bass player or not. Apparently the new bass models in there are astounding.
    <space for hire>