Albums you used to like, but now...

What's Hot
supessupes Frets: 181
So today I bought a couple of cheap CD's to listen to in the car. Skid Row debut album, and a Stevie Ray Vaughan 'best of' album. Really liking hearing Skid Row at their best, but with SRV I found myself skipping quite a few tracks, they sounded a bit 'samey'. 
I used to love SRV at the time, don't know what's happened! He was still a quality player mind. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That 1st Skid Row album is awesome - I revisited it as well recently and loved it. I tried listening to the 1st Annihilator album a few weeks ago - could not get though 1 side of it.
  • Skid Row gets regular plays in my car, I remembered having it on cassette when I was at school. A classic of my life that one. 
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2553
    edited February 2017
    First Skid Row album is fantastic and Slave To The Grind is even better (IMO). SRV? Well he's an acquired taste...

To stay on topic, Bonamassa's 'You and Me' album was a fave of mine but now it leaves me feeling cold.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5151
    edited February 2017
    Appetite for Destuction was on constantly when it came out..I put it on recently and found myself skipping tracks until it ended 
  • supessupes Frets: 181
    @cruxiform ; I just can't get away with Slave to the grind, just completely different to their debut. Might as well be a different band. 

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2553
    supes said:
    Might as well be a different band. 

I  agree but I loved the darker side to their sound. I think Monkey Business is a fantastic tune. That riff is a killer. Not taking away the greatness of the first album but for me STTG topped it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    edited February 2017
    supes said:
    So today I bought a couple of cheap CD's to listen to in the car. Skid Row debut album, and a Stevie Ray Vaughan 'best of' album. Really liking hearing Skid Row at their best, but with SRV I found myself skipping quite a few tracks, they sounded a bit 'samey'. 
    I used to love SRV at the time, don't know what's happened! He was still a quality player mind. 
    SRV was never a great songwriter tbh, an awful lot of standard blues shuffles going on when you go through his back catalogue. Great player though. 

I've been buying a few of those Original Album box sets through Amazon lately. I listened to Weather Report's I Sing the Body Electric the other day. Hated it.
    Yeah i remember at the time learning loads of SRV stuff, but now every other song sounds very generic blues and i keep skipping them. Think you're spot on though, great guitarist but not as good a songwriter.
  • Oasis - What's The Story Morning Glory.

Hasn't stood the test of time for me. I still rate Definitely Maybe, but as much as I loved Morning Glory at the time, I couldn't listen to it now, it is of its time and needs to be left there.

supes said:
    Yeah i remember at the time learning loads of SRV stuff, but now every other song sounds very generic blues and i keep skipping them. Think you're spot on though, great guitarist but not as good a songwriter.
    Just thinking, he definitely earns a bye for writing Couldn't Stand the Weather though. I'd die happy if I'd come up with just that one song. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    boogieman said:
    supes said:
    Just thinking, he definitely earns a bye for writing Couldn't Stand the Weather though. I'd die happy if I'd come up with just that one song. 
    Awesome track! 

In all fairness, the blues is a fairly narrow remit. I was a massive SRV fan, but I'm less into blues generally than I was in the 80s/90s so I don't listen so much now. I still think he's the best of the genre so many years after his death.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    axisus said:

In all fairness, the blues is a fairly narrow remit. I was a massive SRV fan, but I'm less into blues generally than I was in the 80s/90s so I don't listen so much now. I still think he's the best of the genre so many years after his death.

I feel much the same.  I loved SRV but I've really gone off blues and blues-rock in recent years (could it be the Guitarist magazine effect??) and I haven't listened to him for some time.  I'm a bit afraid to after reading this thread, I don't want to go off him.

That said, I was never any kind of authority on blues, I always favoured the rock side of the blues-rock equation.  Even when I bought straight blues albums I always wanted to hear the fiery stuff.  And SRV always had as much Hendrix as Albert King in his playing, as did Eric Gales.

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    I love SRV but I never listened to his stuff for the songs. It was always the playing. 

Its an interesting side side point but who has written great songs but within the blues structure? Perhaps this is where John Mayers Continuum and some of Cream's stuff and maybe Free's music will stand up versus some of the other blues guys. The quality of songs and playing.

I put on Prodigy album recently - jilted generation and I  thought for an electronic album it still sounded brilliant.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24261
    I never stopped listening to Skid Row. I loved all the Bach stuff.

I found my tape of Def Leppard's Pyromania the other day, so in a fit of nostalgia I bought a download of it.

Its brilliant. I probably stopped listening to it when I discovered Slayer.

I still love the first Annihilator album though.

One that surprised me - Satch's Flying in a Blue Dream was my favourite CD for about a decade. It really made me practice my chops. I tried to listen to it in the car last week and it left me cold (apart from the wonderfully OTT solo in Big Bad Moon). It almost feels like I've betrayed my guitar childhood.

I might have to dig other stuff out to revisit it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I never made the leap to Slayer, but I do remember seeing Annihilator live, in Newcastle I think. I know it sounds odd, but possibly supporting either Thunder or Sabbath! 

I think it was just a top time for guitar rock - Appetite, Hysteria, Skid Row, the hair metal bands. Just quality. Some of the solos on Skid Row were really good.... don't know why they didn't achieve more really. 
  • There's a lot of metal stuff I guess I "grew out of" but the one that probably sticks out is the Blur stuff from the mid-90s. I still like pretty much all the other indie-pop I was into back then but now I actively detest Blur. Go figure.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    OK, it was never one of those albums which found a home in every collection, but....

The Vinnie Vincent Invasion.

I can't tell you how much I loved that album in 1986.  Bought it on vinyl and soon after on the then-fledgling CD format and played it to death.  I thought Vinnie Vincent was a genius.  In retrospect, he was an OK songwriter but his "guitar hero" persona was pure smoke and mirrors.  His solos are just a squalling racket of utterly meaningless whammy bar abuse and random notes played very very fast.  Like Kerry King in drag.
    I never stopped listening to Skid Row. I loved all the Bach stuff.

I found my tape of Def Leppard's Pyromania the other day, so in a fit of nostalgia I bought a download of it.

Its brilliant. I probably stopped listening to it when I discovered Slayer.

I still love the first Annihilator album though.

One that surprised me - Satch's Flying in a Blue Dream was my favourite CD for about a decade. It really made me practice my chops. I tried to listen to it in the car last week and it left me cold (apart from the wonderfully OTT solo in Big Bad Moon). It almost feels like I've betrayed my guitar childhood.

I might have to dig other stuff out to revisit it.

I don't think the title track from Blue Dream has ever dated for me, it's a great tune. Engines of Creation sounds very much of it's time though. 
  • I'm glad somebody else has said what I'd been thinking about SRV for years. It's probably the same for Joe Bonamassa, both technically excellent, but a very much a feeling that their songwriting is a bit dull. Maybe it's having seen a bunch of immitators at local blues gigs for the last 20-odd years too....

As for albums I can't really listen to now, Def Leppard's Hysteria ticks that particular box. I listened to it a lot when it came out, I hadn't long started high school when it was released and at it's peak. I think I've grown tired of the ultra slick production and radio stations have played the big hits to death over the years.
  • frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    edited March 2017
    I agree about SRV not being the best song writer, but my fascination mainly lies with watching him live, especially when he's improvising and getting really into the groove. Great feel and phrasing...he really made that strat his bitch. Voodoo child live @ Cotton Club anyone?