Carr sportsman or rift PR18?

What's Hot
Looking for something in the princeton zone for my next purchase.

I'll be gigging with this mic'd up and want something portable, with a nice bit of headroom but the option of some breakup. I use both single coils and humbuckers during a set.

I really like the look of these and will try both out in the coming weeks..any thoughts? I'm leaning towards a sportsman purely for the headroom control...which I assume may provide that little more headroom if req..

I play blues, country, rock n roll..The usual. Nothin too heavy

Cheers all

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The Sportsman is a magnificent amp - the best Princeton Ive personally played mate
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks! Can't wait to try one out this week. I've heard similar elsewhere...I like DR clones too but just love that PR tone at the mo!

Bill Frisel..surfer girl, carr sportsman.... that youtube video and the tone had me hooked..
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Add the Louis Electric Columbia to your list. That's the best Princeton I've tried, although I've not played a Sportsman.
  • Thanks @simonk that's a great shout..will check them out too
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    Louis Electric Columbia 
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    I've nearly went down the Sportsman route - ended up with the Carr Skylark instead, so whilst not a Princeton - maybe worth a look at the same time.

The attenuator is amazing 
  • Go with the Columbia - I had it and the Sportsman at the same time and there's no comparison, to be honest. The Carr sounded flat, two dimensional and lifeless in comparison. The Rift looks a good shout too, although I've no experience of it.
  • Actually I would say the @RiftAmps ;. I don't own one but having spoke to Chris and knowing his professionalism and the fact that he is a british amp builder which we should all support you can't go far wrong IMO
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The possible advantage of the Sportsman over the Columbia, Im guessing, is.that the Carr might be more suitable at home lower volumes ?

Isnt the Columbia a loud amp, better when cranked ? I havent played one so Im not sure...

The 'headroom' knob, by the way, decreases not increases headroom - so it helps to push the amp into slight break-up.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    ironman 2 attenuator sorts the home volume out, fantastic amp that columbia
  • Looks very interesting this fellas. Home volume not really a concern..baby asleep and what not. However the sportsman and rift would be considerably cheaper if forced to purchase from new. All food for thought
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Not played a Columbia but do own a sportsman, has been my main amp for the last 4 years and I love it. 

I reckon the columbia would do a more accurate Princeton tone, with all that bottom and sparkly top. I don't find the sportsman flat and lifeless at all but I'd call it much better behaved, if that makes sense, than a regular Princeton  - this works for me as it takes drive pedals very well, not something that all Princeton types do.

So, if drive pedals are a big part of your sound then the sportsman is a great balance of great Princeton influenced cleans with great drive tones.

if it's Princeton accuracy (and boutique improvement thereof) then there's probably better out there.

thats my take on it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    @dindude makes a good point re pedals as I don't find the basic Princeton circuit overly pedal friendly. FWIW the Columbia seems to work well with pedals, probably to do with there being a mids control in the tonestack.
  • joehindley103joehindley103 Frets: 16
    edited February 2017
    Checking out the sportsman today..I'll report back with my immediate thoughts!
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3806
    edited February 2017
    Sportsman didn't do it for me. Doesn't have the thump or sparkle IMO, as others have mentioned above. If you're looking at Carrs, I much prefer the Rambler and Impala for Blackface Fender tones.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Lebarque said:
    Sportsman didn't do it for me. Doesn't have the thump or sparkle IMO, as others have mentioned above. If you're looking at Carrs, I much prefer the Rambler and Impala for Blackface Fender tones.

Was that a 10" or a 12" Sportsman?
  • I have to say the Sportsman didn't give up the goods for me. That's not saying that isn't a great amp because it is but I couldn't click with it. Different area sonically maybe for me :(
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3806
    Lebarque said:

Was that a 10" or a 12" Sportsman?
    I think it was a 12 inch Eminence Red White & Blues, which apparently is quite a dark speaker, so maybe that's why I didn't like it. ???

Carr Skylark is worth a look for that size and power too. Amazing attenuator, but not enough bass and warmth for my taste.
  • Tried the sportsman today guys. Great amp. Loved the reverb and the clarity of sounds was excellent..but there was just something that didn't grab me...The 1800 quid price tag meant I needed to love it and I basically just really liked it. Off to Birmingham next Saturday where I'm looking forward to trying the rift..

A friend of mine has a SF DR (late 60s) and when I played it I felt the character immediately..its that kind of thing I'm after but in a modern boutique build and with the lower watts...and of course for a reasonable price...as much as the Louis elec looks the business parting with 2400 is gonna hurt haha.

The search goes on...

Thanks again for all the input so far

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    edited February 2017
    If you are looking at the Rift PR18 on Saturday could you ask Chris what he thinks about the switchable/controllable circuit mods G&B Magazine have been doing to one in recent editions? (Part 1 - http://www.guitar-bass.net/workshop/rift-amp-modifications/ Part 2 in March mag). Also, if you have a chance to try one, see how you think the PR35 compares with the PR18 sound-wise.