Where the hell have Big Wreck been all my life?

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
A mate introduced me to them a couple of days ago. I'd heard of them but never listened.

This appeals to my love of 90s grunge and alternative rock:

While the more recent material displays a nice progression onwards from their earlier work, and also appeals to my love of incredible guitar playing. Ian Thornley is a hell of a singer, and a HELL of a guitar player.

Some lovely rhythm work here, and a gorgeous slide solo or two. Has a definite Alter Bridge vibe to it.

This one has a nice groove to it, and the riff and rhythm work seems to call to mind Ain't Nobody by Chaka Khan... then he busts out a solo at 2:25 that sounds like SRV risen from the dead at first, then has some really nice "outside" ideas toward the end.

Channelling Chris Cornell like no-one's business vocally, and then properly letting rip in the solo at 2:55:

Love them!
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    And this.

Again, the solo at the end is truly staggering.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited February 2017
    I discovered them last year and loved "Ghosts" and that album.

Ian Thornley is a monster player and I particularly like his style of slide playing, and his red, Tele Suhr!

You're right Connor. They meld so many styles and even in one song, you get heavy riffs, ambient, rock, pop, nice melodies, hooks and good vocals and harmonies.I'm surprised they're not bigger and more of a household name.

@Bucket - The new album is good and there are some posts on here but check out the interview Ian Thornley did with Lee Anderton.

- Ghosts
    - One big piece of me
    - Interview

Glad you've discovered them and I hope Thornley comes back to the UK and does some more Suhr clinics.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    Well, I created a thread here ages ago about them and peopled piled in heaping shit on them.
    I reckon they are incredible.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2575
    tFB Trader
    I really like them too, you may also like Winery Dogs/Ritchie Kotzen too and check out Chris Cornells solo work for similar nice vocals
    octatonic said:
    Well, I created a thread here ages ago about them and peopled piled in heaping shit on them.
    I don't get what the issue is. I searched and saw that thread as well but decided to start a new one in the hope it might be different. People comparing them to Coldplay... wtf.

I definitely hear some Alter Bridge in their sound, but Big Wreck are usually a lot more interesting and the guitar playing is miles better. Ian Thornley has to be my new guitar hero.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AidanspaghettiAidanspaghetti Frets: 850
    edited February 2017
    Going to Ottawa in a week or so to see them  (With my 74 y old dad!)
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Best band on the planet IMO.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6058
    I discovered them via the Suhr website about a year ago. First time I've ever been introduced to a band's music that way. I like his guitar style very much; interesting melodic player.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    I just heard a track from the new album today on Planet Rock. Not heard of them before, I shall have to investigate, it sounded really good. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    Bucket said:
    octatonic said:
    I don't get what the issue is. I searched and saw that thread as well but decided to start a new one in the hope it might be different. People comparing them to Coldplay... wtf.

I definitely hear some Alter Bridge in their sound, but Big Wreck are usually a lot more interesting and the guitar playing is miles better. Ian Thornley has to be my new guitar hero.
    Other way around. :)
    Big Wreck started in 94, 10 years before Alterbridge.
  • I discovered Big Wreck through this forum. 

I really like the Albatross, Ghosts and Grace Street albums. :) 

I haven't listened to much of the early stuff, but I do intend to definitely do just that! 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    octatonic said:
    Other way around. :)
    Big Wreck started in 94, 10 years before Alterbridge.
    Oh I know, but their early stuff doesn't sound so much like it. I was really referring to the comeback material.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28331
    I stuck that solo on as you said it was like SRV and it was nothing like SRV at all!

Rather enjoyed I digress though. Sounds like an interesting band, I think I shall investigate more.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Cheers!