Most Versatile Drive Pedal Ever?

What's Hot
Few new pedals i see online, Elektron Analog Drive and Chase Bliss Brothers are extremely versatile

Was wondering if there were any others that fit in this bracket?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Strymon riverside also looks very versatile. 

imo though I'd rather have a pedal that does one or two really great sounds than loads of ok sounds. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Strymon riverside also looks very versatile. 

imo though I'd rather have a pedal that does one or two really great sounds than loads of ok sounds. 
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    Probably The Elements by Dr Scientist.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited February 2017
    For just 2 sounds, the new Suhr Eclipse looks promising based on the post-Namm demo by Pete Thorn (it's the only vid out there at the moment) so it's worth keeping an eye on this one.

The Bogner La Grange sounds pretty good in the demos
  • Bogner Ecstasy Red. I've been experimenting with it some more, and it's not just about the high-gain stuff...with appropriate tweaking of the switches you can easily get some bluesy overdrive to mild crunchiness out of it too, and pretty much everything from there all the way up to a lot more gain than even I was expecting out of it.

The fact that you can boost both the volume and gain with a single footswitch is what brought me to it, but the options available are incredible. Into a Fender Twin-alike, it's basically all the good bits from a Bogner Ecstasy.
    <space for hire>
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Boss SD-2.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    Barber Gain Changer ticks a lot of boxes for me. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    BK Butler Tube Driver- it'll go from Timmy to RAT and then you can also use tube changes to run hotter if you want.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Skreddy Screwdriver Deluxe. From clean boost to hybrid Si/Ge fuzz via amp-like mid gain. Well worth a blast.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• For blues, into a slightly dirty channel the maxon od808 reissue is fabulous
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    The FoxRox ZIM has to be fairly high on the list, what with the comb filter (massive but usable shifts in the character of the sound) and the ability to swap dirt cards.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:
    The FoxRox ZIM has to be fairly high on the list, what with the comb filter (massive but usable shifts in the character of the sound) and the ability to swap dirt cards.
    And the "weapon of last resort for close quarter combat" build quality helps too. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Not tried them but EQD Palisades and Seymour Duncan Palladium both look like they cover a lot of ground.
  • http://www.customtonesinc.com/preamps.html

Not cheap, but definitely versatile.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    edited February 2017
    Rats can be quite versatile, especially a modded one. Can go from boost to overdrive, standalone distortion or nasty fuzz.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7413
    I think versatility is over rated in a drive - unless it is something with presets or digitally controllable it'll likely be left in the settings you like most. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyO said:
    I think versatility is over rated in a drive - unless it is something with presets or digitally controllable it'll likely be left in the settings you like most. 
    Fair point. For a gigging board that's certainly likely to be the case. It's nice to know you have other tonal options on hand, but it's probably not a brilliant idea to rely on mid-gig knob-twiddling in poor light and on disgusting stage carpets. 

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    TimmyO said:
    This.

A good sound for you (and your guitar amp combination) is what you might look for, in a live setting you will only please yourself and upset everyone else if you keep fiddling all night. Get a good drive sound, if you need another drive sound get a BOSS SD1 or similar for variety and combinations. Set and forget.

• Darkglass Vintage Ultra on bass.

• paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    What has worked for me has been the Catalinbread Karma Sutre. Gets labelled as a 'harmonic fuzz' but that doesn't describe it adequately at all. Incredibly versatile.