Small 112 combo valve combo amps

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Biggest issue with the mesa's I've found is that the tone controls don't work how you'd expect. 

That scares off most people. Took me an age to still not really understand my Mark V. 

Great tones in there though, just that there's a lot of terrible ones too ...
    I agree
    i have a Mark IV 
    ICBM explained it in a post a while back and once I realised where the EQ was in the signal path it became a lot easier
    still far too many options though
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cabicular said:
    Biggest issue with the mesa's I've found is that the tone controls don't work how you'd expect. 

That scares off most people. Took me an age to still not really understand my Mark V. 

Great tones in there though, just that there's a lot of terrible ones too ...
    I agree
    i have a Mark IV 
    ICBM explained it in a post a while back and once I realised where the EQ was in the signal path it became a lot easier
    still far too many options though
    Ha - Same for me actually, that post by @ICBM helped massively. 

Mark 1 tone stack seems very simular. It lacks an EQ for post drive, bit adding ine in the loop brings the amp right up to date. 

I'm actually much happier without the channels. Big issue I had with the Mark V is having the clean (crunch really) too different in character than the drive. 
  • @SquireJapan That Mesa has gone now. How much was it?
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    It was £695, which seems like a good deal, via a guitar shop.

Did anyone on here buy it?
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    So i ended up getting another Peavey Prowler. 
     I'd stupidly sold a prowler a few years back, they're bloody hard to find, people don't tend to sell them because, they're loud, compact and sound absolutely immense. They were part of the 90's/00's Ultra Tube series from Peavey, 45w from 2 6L6's into a single 12 inch speaker. A few unique features, the drive channel has selectable gain/vol boost or both, so you can set the amp up to have a thick crunch and then hit the gain boost to metal out or you can have a volume boost to take you up in the band mix, or just go super insane and have both.

Soundwise, the tone is typical Peavey, cleans are bold and bright with real authority in the low end. Drive tones range from mild drive to full on metallic filth, its a slightly less aggressive drive than the 5150 or the Ultra's channel 3, but still firmly camped in the modern voicing.

The only weak point is the shitty stock speaker which leaves the amp sounding a bit flat, they sound great with CL80's, V30's or as i'll drop into this one, the Creamback Neo. It also has Peaveys horrific plastic footswitch, which are actually pretty durable, but i'll probably rehouse into a smaller metal enclosure. The footswitch has buttons for channel and boost, simple but really functional.

So one Prowler somehow became two.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3005
    I was gonna say, that definitely looks like two amps...
  • vizviz Frets: 10690
    edited March 2017
    Carvin nomad!!!! There's on on gumtree for £310 - pickup from Essex. 

Edit - oh, you're sorted!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    DrBob said:
    I was gonna say, that definitely looks like two amps...
    Yeah, I tend to get out of control very easily!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    The gain/volume boost on that Prowler sounds ideal, I wish more amps had that feature - it's either one or the other and usually just a gain boost which isn't so useful! 
    TTBZ said:
    The gain/volume boost on that Prowler sounds ideal, I wish more amps had that feature - it's either one or the other and usually just a gain boost which isn't so useful! 
    I'm not much of a volume boost guy so it's great that I can have more gain! Great feature,