Recommenation required for bound neck refret with nibs intact

I have a vintage Gibson ES that I am considering getting a refret. Can anyone point me to a luthier that can retain the nibs on a refret? Ideally in London but am willing to travel/ship the guitar. Thanks!  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    It can be done but is very time consuming and also means you can't true up the fingerboard, which means any corrections to the level of the neck would be taken out of the frets and sacrifice some fret height in affected areas to get a smooth level.
    Also if the guitar is really quite old like a 1960s one the plastic nibs will have shrunk back so will be small and may be hard to blend with a new fresh height wire.

What year is the guitar?

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• @felineGuitars it's 1962. I'll have a closer look at the nibs later. They might have shrunken like you describe...
  • Is'nt that Steve Robinsons area of expertise?..........
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6054
    S'cuse my ignorance, but what are nibs?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14183
    tFB Trader
    JezWynd said:
    S'cuse my ignorance, but what are nibs?
    little kids you can box round the ears at times

No seriously - on a Gibson fingerboard the binding runs over the ends of the frets and it is these ends that are called a nib - many players will refret and let the fret sit over the binding and nibs - I've known many players re-fret a Gibson just so they can choose different fret wire gauge and get rid of the nibs - I believe Bonamassa has on many guitars, certainly many of his signature models are spec'd that way - PRS and many others don't bother
  • @SteveRobinson is the man for the job 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7014
    edited February 2017 tFB Trader
    Is'nt that Steve Robinsons area of expertise?..........
    I've never done a refret and preserved the nibs. I have put nibs back with molten binding after fretting though.

If I get around to Mark's guitar before Friday I'll have refretted three 60s Gibsons this week, all "over the binding".
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6054
    Thanks @guitars4you, an excellent explanation.