need some help with IEM system

PittsterPittster Frets: 15
myself and the bass player in our band are looking into possibly getting an IEM system for the two of us.

I only play guitar, and would want the band mix in one ear and my guitar in the other.

the bass player however does backing vox as well & needs vocals as well as instruments into his earphones. so each of us wants a different mix in our phones.

my question is this - is it possible to purchase just one transmitter and that be able to send signals to different receiver packs with our own mixes from each pack? hope that makes sense. or would we both have to purchase individual transmitters as we are both after different mixes.

thanks for any help.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    You need a transmitter and a separate aux send on the desk each so you can set the mix you want and then send it to the iem.     If you really want a stereo mix with different instruments in each ear then you need two aux sends on the desk - I stick with mono to keep it simple.  
  • I get what you mean with spearate things in each ear, but won't that be awfully distracting in practice?

• probably. I've never used them before so would need to experiment. at the moment we're both trying to get heads around whether we can do what we want using one transmitter connected to 2 receivers. trying to save money!

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    most transmitters have two inputs and the receivers allow you to blend between left and right
    but normally what happens is you put the band mix in one channel and the things you do (like guitar or vocals) in the other so you can then adjust on the fly (this is all in mono)
    Unless you have a desk with a lot of aux outs and a sympathetic sound guy
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8684
    edited February 2017
    Will you continue to have amps and speakers on stage? We use IEMs. The singer, and the bassist on BVs , both have their own mixes with their own voices considerably raised. I use the FOH mix, which reduces the number of monitor channels we need. I keep a 12 speaker nearby for acoustic coupling with the guitar, even feed back some times. I find that having FOH in the IEMs, and a bit of bleed through from the cabinet, gives me a slightly guitar heavy mix. At some gigs there's so much FOH bouncing back that I ditch the IEMs after a few numbers.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10396
    If you want decent IEM mix's with a lot of control then a desk with a lot of aux outs is essential ... this is one of the reasons digital desks are so popular, a good analog desk might have 5 aux sends, a good digital desk has upwards of 10 and a facility to link 2 aux sends to make panning a stereo image easier. 

You can't do what you want with one transmitter and 2 receivers ... you can get 2 mono mixs from that but splitting things into each ear is asking for 2 stereo mix's ..... you can only have different things in each ear with a stereo mix which would require 2 aux sends each and a stereo transmitter and receiver each. 

To get 2 independent mono mixs with  2 aux sends, one transmitter and 2 receivers  mod you IEM cables so one has sleeve wired to ground and then  tip to left and right ear piece ... ring open circuit  and the other so sleeve is wired to ground and ring is connected to both left and right ear piece with tip open circuit
    www.2020studios.co.uk