Best way of A/B-ing cabs without an A/B box/switch?

Any suggestions? How best to truly determine whether I prefer one cab over another? Any cheap options for setting up switching?
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If you have 2 speaker cables leave one in each cab and swap them at the amp. Takes hardly any time to hit standby and switch the cables so likely the cheapest option 
  • Yeah, I'd say so!

My band, Red For Dissent
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    If the amp has two speaker jacks in parallel you don't even need the standby switch - simply pull the cable to the one you're not using out halfway to mute it. To swap, push that one in fully and pull the other out, not the other way round - it's safe to have the amp connected to half its correct impedance briefly, even if you're playing at the time.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Two 4 ohm outputs, two 8 ohm cabinets, @ICBM - so that's fine, as long one always remains connected?

My band, Red For Dissent
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    Two 4 ohm outputs, two 8 ohm cabinets, @ICBM - so that's fine, as long one always remains connected?
    You want the 8-ohm output for 8-ohm cabs if you're only using one at once. If that means there's only one jack, you do need to put the amp on standby to swap really - although rare, there are a very few amps which are unstable with no load even if there's no input signal. (Mesa Rectifiers are one, in the 'Modern' mode.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589

Build a box. Beer into water.

Dave.

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589

asitappens I have a speaker switch box I built some time ago. PM me an address and it is yours.

Dave.