Kraken gain2

What's Hot
dariusdarius Frets: 632
Got myself a nearly new Victory Kraken 6L6. It ticks all the boxes I needed. 2 gain channels, 2 master volumes and an effects loop that works. Too loud overall but I think I'll just call that 'headroom'. 
Cranked it with full band a few times now and somethings bothering me. I can get great tones that suit from both channels, but if Gain2 is 12oclock+ the channel feeds back like a bugger. Even at low vol. Not controllable sustainy feedback either. 
Is this just how it is with 'the beast'. ?
Using a Wolfgang and a Boogie 1x12 openback cab. 
Any thoughts?
its not a HUGE deal, Gain1 is more my tone wot I like, but i do want to check it's not broken. 
D
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I found the same thing - I thought it was a natural consequence of the less-rounded voicing on Gain II, which I really didn't like. I emailed Mr Kidd about the voicing, and he gave me details of a mod to essentially make it like Gain I (but not exactly like it). Interestingly, it involves changes in both the preamp and the power amp. It's a pretty simple mod, just a couple of changes.
    <space for hire>
  • Totally agree on the "too loud" thing, though. There's literally no way to play it in the house, short of running it into a dummy load and taking a feed into the computer with impulses.
    <space for hire>
  • dariusdarius Frets: 632
    Interesting that Victory would propose users mod their amp.  What was the mod and did you do it? Which contact route did you use to get this detailed a reply?
  • darius said:
    Interesting that Victory would propose users mod their amp.  What was the mod and did you do it? Which contact route did you use to get this detailed a reply?
    I specifically asked them for a mod to make Gain II voiced closer to Gain I; it came with the "we did extensive customer testing to get it voiced like it is, so this isn't recommended" warning. I didn't do it in the end - I'd picked up my Jet City amp again and preferred it, so it seemed sensible just to move the Kraken on (any mod would reduce the value).

Mind you, it'd be possible to make the mod switchable, if you've got a helpful amp tech.

I'll dig out the details and send them to you, if you want...? Bear in mind that it might not solve your problem, that's just a hunch of mine having spent a lot of time with it.
    <space for hire>
    I'll get in touch with them directly, they seem like a responsive bunch!
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I like it as is, but I do feel it's aimed at quite specific applications. 
    I didn't think too much about what is was aimed at, I'm not an extended range baritone djent player at all. Rock, 1 halfstep downtuned and regular DropD (C#). I just listened and decided its got some great rock gain tones. I don't NEED the upper range of Gain2 but I do WANT it to be useable.
  • darius said:
    I didn't think too much about what is was aimed at, I'm not an extended range baritone djent player at all. Rock, 1 halfstep downtuned and regular DropD (C#). I just listened and decided its got some great rock gain tones. I don't NEED the upper range of Gain2 but I do WANT it to be useable.
    That's exactly what I used it for, as it happens.
    <space for hire>
  • darius said:

Sounded good, too. I remember you raving about that thing. 

It's funny how you keep coming back k to the jet city amps. They really have such a good sound. 
  • darius said:

It's funny how you keep coming back k to the jet city amps. They really have such a good sound. 
    Yep. More to the point...it's clearly my sound, although I'm thinking about starting a metal band. If I do, I'm going to need a lot more gain than the crunch channel provides, hence the current preamp-based board. It's quite amazing how much the Bogner Red sounds like the Jet City, although I think the common factors (me and the way I set it up) might have a lot to do with that.

I did love the Kraken, I just couldn't get past the different voicings on the two channels.
    <space for hire>
  • darius said:

Hmmmmmmm @digitalscream + Jet City it's one of those enduring partnerships, Smith and Jones, Randall and Hopkirk, Butch and Sundance, Brett Micheals and CC DeVille etc.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    I've given up trying to use both channels in the same band. 
    Luckily enough I enjoy gain 1 enough, and prefer only using one channel for the VX to still be worth it for me. 
    Im driving it harder with a tube screamer for the higher gain needs which seems to work well, but does need a noise gate of some sorts. I'm still playing, but have found its working best for me after TS, before amp input . 

Ive had gain 2 cranked a few times for another project and I could never stop it squealing and humming like a mo'fker.
    @sgosden thanks, thats where i am too but without TS. It does seem that is the way of gain2. Seems strange to design in so much instability.
    Is there anyone from Victory on this forum?
    Theyve been really helpful and responsive to my queries. Going to try replacing preamp valve(s) since it feedsback at max gain max vol without any input.
    Going to see how i feel after various gigs in March.

@digitalscream - can you send me that mod detail?
    Update - for anyone who may care.
    Debut gig for the kraken - bloody marvellous. Actually used it on 8W low mode, plenty of headroom in the 2guitar band. Master2 used for solo boosts. Amps not mic'd. We got dozens of complements on the sound. Awesome. Not sure i'm ever going to need the 50W high mode.

Since then ive swapped in new preamp valves at v1&2. JJ replacing the fitted PMs. Will report back wether its done anything to calm gain2, but if not i think i'm happy enough with gain1 and treat gain2 as occasional craziness.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26564
    Glad to hear it's working out for you :)
    <space for hire>