Fog machines

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
I have a fog machine and know how to use it ;) Has anyone used one of these at a gig and it has set the smoke alarms off? Just thought I'd ask before I piss the landlord off st a gig on Friday ;)
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• They will set off smoke alarms fairly easily. If they are accessible (and with the landlords permission) we sometimes cover a single one with a plastic bag and a rubber band. This is ok as long as you REMEMBER to take it off at the end of the gig and only cover one so the rest are still active but unaffected by the smoke. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    Many times.    Including one occasion when the alarm triggered a visit from fire engines.  
    Its very easy to over do it when you just need a hint of smoke to set the lights off.    
    Make sure the mains on off switch is accessible and try to minimal.  
  • John_P said:
    Many times.    Including one occasion when the alarm triggered a visit from fire engines.  
    Its very easy to over do it when you just need a hint of smoke to set the lights off.    
    Make sure the mains on off switch is accessible and try to minimal.  
    Oh blimey. I'll think I'll leave it at home :(
  • When I saw Katatonia they set off the smoke alarm with their fog machines and this was at a proper music venue.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • When I saw Katatonia they set off the smoke alarm with their fog machines and this was at a proper music venue.
    Why do they have such machines then? I got mine in a job lot but it's looking like it won't be usable in most venues . Oh well I just set it off at home for a bit of fun LOL
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    If you're sensible and don't over use it then it will be fine.    It will make your lighting look loads better.    
  • Set off many a Hotel smoke alarm. Always asked and got permission to use it first too.
    I've seen the Fire Engines attend and people all sat out on the street waiting to be told they can go back in a few times.
    I remember seeing one Hotel manager bollocking the staff for allowing it to happen even though it was him who'd given permission to use it.
    Had one of the high powered smoke machines a long time ago. It was great for quickly supplying the right amount and not having to hold the button for ten seconds. But on a couple of occasions the electronic switching broke ON and by the time we'd realised and pulled the plug out the entire room was full of smoke. I could hear everyone scrambling to escape whilst coughing and spluttering, but I had no chance of seeing them.
    It must have taken 15 - 20 minutes of fanning it through the fire doors before it was clear.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    They will set off smoke alarms fairly easily. If they are accessible (and with the landlords permission) we sometimes cover a single one with a plastic bag and a rubber band...
    And an alternative which is super-easy is covering a smoke alarm with a latex glove -- you know, the sort of thing a car mechanic or healthcare worker wears. 

Remembering to remove it is essential but you spot it in your final idiot check because it looks like you've stuck an upside-down blue chicken onto the ceiling. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    Just an update. Used it last week and although I used it sparingly it was a fantastic effect along with the lights. Recommended but use it sparingly LOL. It's actually quite addictive and can easily get carried away ;)
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Most proper event spaces, hotels, etc will have the ability to isolate specific zones on their alarm system so you can use smoke/haze without causing mass panic
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    We use one on nearly every gig we have a volcano and it's amazing 
    It's quite rare we cannot use it due to smoke alarms, 

http://i.imgur.com/rUHnhLf.jpg
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7282
    When I saw Katatonia they set off the smoke alarm with their fog machines and this was at a proper music venue.
    Why do they have such machines then? I got mine in a job lot but it's looking like it won't be usable in most venues . Oh well I just set it off at home for a bit of fun LOL
    Well theyre a pretty big band so i guess they assumed the venue wouldnt be such a bunch of clowns as to have smoke alarms that would be set off by that kind of thing.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ