Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What to do (totally non elitist content inside) and NGD

What's Hot
Hey all,  
I have a nice conundrum. 

I have just got a 96 Samick made Sheraton in a trade for the sole purpose of trying it out and probably moving it on (I have never liked epis and I was used to owning Gibson's for many years) but it's truly an amazing guitar sounds good and plays superb,  plus looks cool as hell. 

I have owned my Japanese Jackson for a long time it's an archtop flame maple cap DKMGT from 2004 , again plays just as good as my old high end guitars and with the pickup and wiring change (EMG  85 in the bridge and and EMG H (humbucker sized active single) in the neck it sounds totally spiffing, and just feels alive,  

So here's the issue, as a single dad (not complaining as I love it but obviously have very limited funds)  I cannot justify keeping both,  especially as I play bass live and do a lot of production at home so really only need one guitar. 

So which one would you keep? 

Pros for sheraton: 
Looks cool
Sounds good 
Lovely neck 
Very well built 

Cons:
No trem 
Machine heads not great 
Possibly could pick up swap or I'll make my own (in have done quite a few pickups recently for friends) 

Jackson pros:
Sounds amazing 
Good trem 
Wide array of sounds 
Phenomenal neck 
Versatile.
No longer made and the Japanese factory really new what they were doing,  build quality akin to any USA guitar (I have owned a shed load in my well off days :D

Cons:
Dated looks 
Not a desirable guitar,  retailed for £650
Doubt I would get even half of that. 
Heavy 
It's a floyd so string changes are a ball ache 
It's really not as cool as the sheraton. 

If I could afford it I would keep both, but as I said above I really only need one electric guitar. 
http://i.imgur.com/XTB26io.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UlQvXj4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mjuZv8G.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12664
    Sheraton... the Jackson screams "Metaaaaaaahhhhllll" to me
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Prob is I like metal :) 
  • Jackson all day long! Way more versatile, looks cooler and anyway......last in, first out.  
    All the right notes, not always in the right order!
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    edited February 2017

I'd keep the Sheraton. But that's because I've never really liked the look of locking trems/nuts.

As for the selling price of the Jackson, sometimes new guitars depreciate, that's just a chance you have to take when you buy a new one...

EDIT - but give it a few weeks before you decide. You might change your mind about the Sheraton and start to miss the Jacko...

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Keep the Jackson. You've had it longer and formed a bond with it, I feel like you'd miss it more if you sold it. Not to mention that Japanese Jacksons will probably start to go up in value as people cotton on to how bloody good they are, so if you sold it and wanted to pick another one up in future, you might find you've been priced out of the market.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Keep the Jackson - waaaay cooler than the Sheraton in my book
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Keep the Jackson. 

If you've bonded with it over a period of time you obviously really like it. 

With the sheraton you're probably just in "ooh this nicer than expected" honeymoon land. 
  • I'd keep the versatile one with the amazing sound for which I wouldn't even get good money if I sold it! Guitars are tools for making music - who cares about "cool"? (Btw, I like the look of the Jackson, but then I know nothing about electric guitars and had to google them to know which is which).
  • Keep the Jackson - much cooler guitar.
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    edited February 2017
    I personally prefer the Sheraton however if I were you I'd keep the Jackson. Looking at your list of pros & cons, the pros you've listed far outweigh those of the Sheraton.
    We are all Chameleons...
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147

I really only need one electric guitar.
    That is such an outrageous lie that I can only imagine this is another Flat Earth / Moon Landing / Spaghetti Monster kind of thread...
  • Well it looks like the jackson will stay then thanks guys   I have had the sheraton for a couple of weeks now,  and swapped it for an acoustic I wasn't using (no acoustic compares to the guild!)  ill prob keep it for another week or two, and then sell it for a fair price,  :)  and yes only one electric is all that's needed! :D
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    Yep keep the Jackson. 
  • After playing the sheraton for a good few hours (not happened in a log time,)  I have decided to be a rebel and keep both of them,.... You only live once ay! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I suppose the way I need to look at it is I bought the acoustic for £35! (cash converters lol)  so the sheraton technically cost me 35...so hey quids in :) 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10267
    Jackson for me too.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    Much as I hate to say it and given the Sheraton looks awesome I would keep the Jackson... 
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Keep the Jackson, it's worth a pitiful amount. I've seen many of the Jap DKMGs not reach £300 and relisted many times over for months on ebay, the only search result on ebay is one that sold for £190. Still on the upside it has one of the best necks in the business :)
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    edited February 2017
    You should sell the Sheraton to me and keep the Jackson. :D

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24236
    Stop drinking or smoking or having take always for a couple of months and keep both.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom