Gigbag for Faith Guitar

As there's a few Faith owners here I wanted to ask

a) does anybody have one of the Faith gigbags? I wonder how thick the padding is and how good the quality overall, as I think £30 is not much money for a first-class bag.

b) If you have a Mercury and don't use the FMbag, which bag do you use? Most bags for acoustic guitars I find are for dreadnoughts...

The bag I got with the guitar is hardly better than a shopping bag, just good enough to take the guitar to the car - I need something better.

Thanks for your help!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The bag for my Mercury is OK, the padding is approx 1" thick & would give some protection from bumps etc. I use it to take mine in the car etc, if I were going on public transport I'd be looking at a case. 
  • Thanks a lot for the comment, though now I wonder... I mean, the way I see it gigbags are made for carrying guitars around (- on the back, whereas I really wouldn't want to carry a hardcase in my hand), so if you feel it's not protective enough for public transport - do I really need it?
  • As soft bags go, it's a decent one: It's padded, well put together etc, for the odd trip here & there it'd be fine but I'd hate to risk damaging my guitar- the Faith Naked series have SUCH a thin finish on them that they mark up easily.

I'd much rather have it in a rigid case of some sort if I were to take the guitar anywhere where it's likely to get accidentally bumped- be it a pub for a jam session or on public transport. 
  • ... but I'd hate to risk damaging my guitar- the Faith Naked series have SUCH a thin finish on them that they mark up easily.

That's the problem with a wonderful guitar, isn't it? My full-sized classical has survived in its cheap bag with very little decades for several decades and two moves and I never worried about it - but like you I'd absolutely hate for anything to happen to my new one.
  • ... but I'd hate to risk damaging my guitar- the Faith Naked series have SUCH a thin finish on them that they mark up easily. ...

That's the problem with a wonderful guitar, isn't it? My full-size classical has survived several decades and two moves in a bag with hardly 1 cm of padding and I never worried about it. But like you I'd absolutely hate for anything to happen to my new one.

Though I think that the risk with a thin finish is more fingerprints, spills, etc - I don't think a high-gloss finish protects in any way against people bumping into the guitar,  a cat jumping on it or falls to the floor. So I don't think there's any more need for a hardcase for a Naked Faith than for a lacquered one. I'm afraid of a broken neck, an end-pin pushed into the body, a body broken in another way. And of course it would be lovely if the tuners would stay in the position in which they were...
  • Kade1301Kade1301 Frets: 2
    edited February 2017
    ... but I'd hate to risk damaging my guitar- the Faith Naked series have SUCH a thin finish on them that they mark up easily. ...

That's the problem with a wonderful guitar, isn't it? My full-size classical has survived several decades and two moves in a bag with hardly 1 cm of padding and I never worried about it. But like you I'd absolutely hate for anything to happen to my new one.

Though I think that the risk with a thin finish is more fingerprints, spills, etc - I don't think a high-gloss finish protects in any way against people bumping into the guitar,  a cat jumping on it or falls to the floor. So I don't think there's any more need for a hardcase for a Naked Faith than for a lacquered one. I'm afraid of a broken neck, an end-pin pushed into the body, a body broken in another way. And of course it would be lovely if the tuners would stay in the position in which they were...

Update: I've ordered the Faith hard case, I'll let you know how I like it when it arrives.
  • Kade1301Kade1301 Frets: 2
    Oops sorry, no idea why/how the previous post arrived in three  instalments!

The Faith hardcase has just arrived which is pretty fantastic (ordered it on Saturday from Andertons). The case seems solid enough to protect the guitar fom most things that are likely to fall on or bump into it - but it's so heavy (6 kg with guitar) that I wont't be carrying it very far! The handle is only attached with 4 rivets and doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. The fit is exact (with a gap in the padding on the bottom for the endpin) but very tight. There's a small compartment for accessories under the neck and there's a bit of space around the head. All in all nice enough - but not what I'd want to carry on public transport!