Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Kemper: Anyone Tried Or Using Through A Real Cab ?

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9531
Be interested to know your thoughts guys generally on Kemper, especially those with the amp in...

Cheers in advance :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richhrichh Frets: 450
    I've got a 'toaster' with an aftermarket Ritter amp added in.  Works great with a FRFR Matrix cab!

Others have apparently got good results with standard cabs, but I tried with a Marshall 1 x 12" and didn't like it.

Your results may vary of course, that is just my experience.  If you want to try my rig out you are welcome if ever in my area (Oxford).

• DarrenDarren Frets: 168

I use the unpowered version (Toaster) - into the loop return of my JMP2203 - Into my old Marshall 4x12 cab. I mainly use the direct profiles - ones that have not been profiled using a mic in front of a cab.

Sounds superb IMHO.. Wouldn't be without mine.

Ended all the amp gas I used to have. :)

• Yep, I use a powered Kemper as my main rig into a 4x12. 

Our send engineer usually blends the direct Kemper signal and the mic'd cab at the moment. Sounds ace either way, he just likes the options as the PA's we use can vary wildly.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    A good friend of mine has one and we profiled my Friedman JJ into my Zilla Fatboy. It worked pretty well considering how basic we did the profiling. 

We put the Kemper back through and the two main differences for me were that the Kemper had nowhere near the same bottom end and it didn't clean up as well as the real amp when I wound the volume down on the guitars. That said, our basic profiling set up could be to blame.
  • Deijavoo said:
    A good friend of mine has one and we profiled my Friedman JJ into my Zilla Fatboy. It worked pretty well considering how basic we did the profiling. 

We put the Kemper back through and the two main differences for me were that the Kemper had nowhere near the same bottom end and it didn't clean up as well as the real amp when I wound the volume down on the guitars. That said, our basic profiling set up could be to blame.
    How exactly did you profile it, did you take a DI out or Mic it up?
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 913
    I've been using mine with a Fryette Power Station into two 2x12 cabs lately and getting very good results. I usually have a line out to the PA with cab sim. I've used both standard profiles with cabs switched off on the monitor out and direct profiles. Both can sound great but standard ones need a bit more EQing.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9531
    edited February 2017
    Appreciate all the info guys...

Ordered one today from Andertons, 4 in stock, next day delivery.... now showing April delivery.

Shame, refund will be on its way though.
  • I heard one in MusicStreet in Huntingdon it was a Kemper power rack into a cornford 2x12 and it sounded immense.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • I profiled my old Kraken with a PowerRack into a V30-loaded Zilla Fatboy, and it was absolutely indistinguishable from the amp.
    <space for hire>
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Deijavoo said:

How exactly did you profile it, did you take a DI out or Mic it up?
    We used mics. Didn't spend a great deal of time doing it but wow is the profiling process LOUD!
  • I profiled my old Kraken with a PowerRack into a V30-loaded Zilla Fatboy, and it was absolutely indistinguishable from the amp.
    Mate, that is really interesting... i was thinking of running mine thru the Zilla v30 Fatbaby 1x12.

@digitalscream - Did the Kemper play nicely with the Zilla ?
    Mate, that is really interesting... i was thinking of running mine thru the Zilla v30 Fatbaby 1x12.

@digitalscream - Did the Kemper play nicely with the Zilla ?
    Yes, absolutely. If anything, once we'd tweaked it, the final profile sounded better than the amp; it really was astonishing.

If I could justify the expense, I'd buy one tomorrow. I'm not in a band or gigging, though, so.... :(

I did, however, take a copy of the profile so I can use it if I get one in future. In fact, I might upload it here for everybody to have a play with.
    <space for hire>
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    richh said:
    I've got a 'toaster' with an aftermarket Ritter amp added in.  Works great with a FRFR Matrix cab!

Others have apparently got good results with standard cabs, but I tried with a Marshall 1 x 12" and didn't like it.

Your results may vary of course, that is just my experience.  If you want to try my rig out you are welcome if ever in my area (Oxford).

Could I be cheeky and jump in on this offer? very curious as to the sound in the room, having only heard demos on t'internet. guitarist in one of my project bands is very close to buying one, but in the same situation :)

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Other guitarist in the 8 piece jazz band I'm in uses his Kemper through a pair of JBL speakers in stereo - sounds bloody amazing !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • richhrichh Frets: 450
    @sgosden no problem if you want to come round and have a go on my KPA through Matrix FRFR, you're welcome - I'll drop you a PM
  • My new 'powered' Kemper should be arriving tomorrow, so I can update this thread with a 'real' cab.

Thus far, I've only tried the headphones, and I was surprised at how good it sounded.

The unit itself is one of the most instinctive to use that I have encountered. Again, this was a surprise :)

• Interested to hear your thoughts @Wazmeister this stuff intrigues me and would love to know how it matches up. Beauty of the Kemper is that I can keep my beloved pedals! :-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    I use mine direct into a Gallien Kruger 250Ml, then out to PA In bigger venues.

need any more profiles yet....

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Yeah have used mine through a PA and very good and also direct now through an old Marshall Power Amp and 2 1x2 celestion soound good or better if you tweaked the direct profiles with guitar speakers. 
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375

My new 'powered' Kemper should be arriving tomorrow, so I can update this thread with a 'real' cab.

Thus far, I've only tried the headphones, and I was surprised at how good it sounded.

The unit itself is one of the most instinctive to use that I have encountered. Again, this was a surprise :)

With the headphones, it might be worth dialling in a bit of 'space' to help it feel a bit more real with cans on :)