B-Stock Price Help

What's Hot

Hi Folks,  So I've tried a great guitar at a reasonably big retailer which RRP's at about £800, however it's reduced by £100 due to a 1.5inch dent in the back of the body.

Do you think this is a reasonable reduction? I've never haggled and would like to get the balance between the best deal and avoiding being rude (While aware my own resale value is up in the air should I decide to pass it on)

Any advice around this is much appreciated.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    Not really. Depends if you lose your warranty or anything like that. I'd probably just buy second hand for a lot less.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    DefaultM said:
    Not really. Depends if you lose your warranty or anything like that. I'd probably just buy second hand for a lot less.
    certainly should not have any impact on the warranty whatsoever
  • Thanks guys, full warranty applies and not many of these turn up 2nd hand.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    It won't do any harm to ask them what the best price they can offer you is.  I always do.  Even if they won't give you cash off, at least get them to throw in a nice strap, and/or lead, and/or a few sets of strings, or a case if it doesn't come with one.

I remember one guitar that I got 10 sets of strings with.  It might have cost me £50 to buy them so I effectively got £50 off, but the retailer probably bought them for £30 wholesale so it's not such a big loss for them.  Sometimes that is easier to get than cash off.
  • not much of a discount really
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11496
    tFB Trader
    If it's a GREAT guitar and feels great (and not so easy to find that model) then go for it . You of course can try to negotiate a good deal but the store is within it's right to say it's already discounted - especially if they didn't really have much margin to play with and still want to make some money on a sale

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Would you be happy to pay the extra £100 to not have the dent?
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371

1.5 inches of dent

Better than 1.5 hours of djent.

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited February 2017

What is the guitar (exact model, colour etc)?  We might be able to help point you to another one.

A 1.5" dent is a fair old size and IMO £100 is not enough - but it would be helpful for some pics of the guitar and dent so we can see what you're seeing.  The dent may also impact on resale - not just price, but desirability - even used buyers are likely to prefer non-dented guitars, and they would expect to pay a lower price for a used dented guitar than a used guitar in excellent condition . 

Accordingly I'd personally want more off than that - at least £150.  For the sake of £100 I'd want one that's perfect.  But it needs to be a REAL saving compared to the best price I could find for a perfect one.

I suggest you first look for another similar guitar and see what the best price is you can negotiate for one that's new and perfect with a different store.  Talk to the store manager & see what best price/package they can offer for a brand new one.  Never be afraid to negotiate.  Stores have to make a profit but turnover is important for them too.  Depending on their circumstances, whether they might be having a slow month etc, you can often do deals - you don't ask, you don't get.  Then you have a reliable starting frame of reference.  For example, if the store knocks the price of a new one down by £50, you'd only be saving £50 by buying the dented guitar - you see what I mean?

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12646
    I don't think £100 off is unreasonable on an £800 guitar. The store still need to make some money on it - its more than 10% off for a dent on the back of the guitar. Is it going to make more than a 10% difference to the secondhand resale value? Unlikely... and if you are constantly buying something worrying about the secondhand resale value, then I'd suggest not buying new in the first place.

If its a hard to find guitar and the rest of it is fine, plus it plays well and its the one you want, then buy the thing, I say.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3359
    I would just pay the extra 100 quid,
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyRAndyR Frets: 158
    I probably wouldn't buy a B Stock, discounted or not. Maybe I would for a special case, but one like this where I can see the dent, it doesn't matter how much of a good deal it might look like I'm getting, it'll still be a "b stock" in my mind years down the line. For that reason I'd rather spend more on a new one.

Resale, I think is something else, if I'm worried about resale value at the point of buying, then I find myself wondering why I'm buying at all.
  • If you're buying it to 'play' as opposed to keeping pristine at home for looks, then what matter is a dent anyway.
  • Thanks guys,  I'm probably going to pay the extra £100 and get a nice new model.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Thanks guys,  I'm probably going to pay the extra £100 and get a nice new model.
    Agreed, £100 off wouldn't be enough incentive for me as opposed to a new one.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2328
    I've totally wisdomed posts in here which seem to be contradictory. :D

My reasoning being, if the dent annoys you, £100 off probably isn't enough. But the shop's within its rights to offer that, and if the dent doesn't annoy you (especially if it's rare and difficult to find another), it may be enough off to be worth it (though @Voxman makes a good point about making sure that it's genuinely £100 off).

Regarding the resale argument- while I do agree that if you're thinking of selling it already, that might not bode well for the purchase, I don't think keeping at least one eye on resale is silly, or even necessarily means that you don't really want it and therefore shouldn't buy it. I've never sold a guitar, and I'd still bear it in mind- you never know what's going to happen in the future, and even if you have no intention of selling it now, your tastes may change. Or, even worse, you may be forced to sell it if your financial situation changes.
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

I don't suppose you can steam the dent out?

£100 nicker off the price and the dent can be removed, seems like a win win.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    If it was my shop I'd call it a 'relic' and charge you an extra £100 for it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2328
    ^ Haha

Just in case my post above sounded a bit cagey- for me personally I doubt £100 would be enough, and I'd probably try to find one in perfect condition.
  • What is the guitar? Hard to say without knowing that.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/