Odd VHT Special 12/20RT repair diagnosis from Thomann!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    impmann said:
    (a) To be fair, a lot of the independents that have gone under (not all, but a large number) were the sort that you visited only because they were your only option at the time - you know the sort, grumpy old git behind the counter who smokes too much, who has a chip on his shoulder about not 'making it', won't give you a decent trade in and everything is *at least* RRP in the shop. Personally speaking, I don't miss these guys... a lot of them were tossers and they went under for a reason. That's a harsh reality.

(b) Thomann do have a huge repair/service centre now - and most companies operate a policy of repair first, replace second. Perhaps that isn't best for the consumer but it negates the "User Error" effect, and saves them getting saddled with large quantities of B stock product on hand. After all, they are a business first and foremost.
    (a) Agreed.

That being said, some of the good guys have gone under, too. A couple of shops here shut, some good, some bad. I know of some good shops in England that shut, too.

(b) True, but if Dodge's and my experience were anything to go by there was as much (arguably more) chance of user error in the repair department as with the customer! :))
    martinw said:

The problem is not with Thomann et al, it's with our approach to quality versus price, and it affects everything we buy. We always want the cheapest, and expect to be able to buy  a valve amp (or TV, or MP3 player, or whatever) for such a low price, that a.) the quality is basic at best, not good enough to make repairs cost-effective and b.) there's no margin in the product for the retailer to invest in repair facilities anyway. I think I'm probably repeating what others have said!

Yeah pretty much. To a certain extent you can't really blame people, especially if the thing in question isn't their main interest (or if they're on the breadline)- if someone just wants a guitar to strum for 10 minutes once every two weeks you can't expect that person to be willing to fork out £2000+ for a high-end Martin, for example. And it's nice to have options and choice.

The only problem is that the throwaway/made-barely-well-enough mentality seems to be seeping into even higher end stuff these days (not really guitars so much), even if you pay more stuff still doesn't seem to be made as well as it used to (talking about consumer electronics etc.). I guess my point being that you have more choice than ever if you want tat but arguably less choice if you want decent stuff. :))
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Aye... just look at Gibsons QA over the last few years. Appalling.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1435
    So, my amp is back after it's second trip to Thomann's inept workshop and amazingly, the 9V problem is fixed - the diagnosis being 'a cleaned contact'.

Unfortunately, the reverb pan was wedged between the back panel and the speaker and not screwed to the bottom of the cabinet as it should be.  Unsurprisingly, there's a horrid buzz which increases in volume with the reverb control.

This will be the 3rd 'repair' in a month for a 5 month old amp.  Unless feckers....
    edited February 2014
    That sucks :( At that point I'd demand a replacement or refund. I think legally you're entitled to one after the 2nd repair (at least, that's what Musicstore said to me when they weaselled out of having to give me my money back).
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Dodge said:
    So, my amp is back after it's second trip to Thomann's inept workshop and amazingly, the 9V problem is fixed - the diagnosis being 'a cleaned contact'.
    I don't believe that. The symptom was of a short, not an open contact.

Dodge said:
    Unfortunately, the reverb pan was wedged between the back panel and the speaker and not screwed to the bottom of the cabinet as it should be.  Unsurprisingly, there's a horrid buzz which increases in volume with the reverb control.
    Check it's not just that one of the cables has come loose at the the tank. If not, it will have broken a wire inside.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Dave_Mc said:
    That sucks :( At that point I'd demand a replacement or refund. I think legally you're entitled to one after the 2nd repair (at least, that's what Musicstore said to me when they weaselled out of having to give me my money back).
    I asked for a refund in my letter to them last time, I guess considering they didn't bother to repair the amp last time they probably didn't read the letter either.  I need to check my rights, but I don't want it any more - it's a shame, as the amp sounds great.
    ICBM said:
    Dodge said:
    I don't believe that. The symptom was of a short, not an open contact.

Dodge said:
    Check it's not just that one of the cables has come loose at the the tank. If not, it will have broken a wire inside.
    I suspect it's the tank as there is still some reverb being created despite the buzzing.  Either way, I'm not poking around inside it - it's their problem to fix, not mine.
    Dodge said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    I asked for a refund in my letter to them last time, I guess considering they didn't bother to repair the amp last time they probably didn't read the letter either.  I need to check my rights, but I don't want it any more - it's a shame, as the amp sounds great.
    Ah that sucks :( I'd probably email them and get an answer before sending it back again- don't send it back without getting their word that they'll refund you, kind of thing.

Dave_Mc said:
    Dodge said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    Ah that sucks :( I'd probably email them and get an answer before sending it back again- don't send it back without getting their word that they'll refund you, kind of thing.
    Yeah, I've asked for one on the grounds that it's not of sufficient quality and not fit for purpose.  They have no stock, so getting a replacement is going to be highly unlikely.
    Ah right, yeah that might go some way to explaining it. Still doesn't justify their fobbing you off with half-assed repairs, though.
    Well, they agreed to a refund today - I'll be happier when I see the credit on my card, but it looks like they've finally done the right thing.  It's a shame, as it was a fine sounding amp, but it doesn't matter if it's not reliable.

Still, it being away for over a month allowed me some quality time with the little Lightning which is really no hardship!
    Good news :)