Is my Magicstomp broken?

What's Hot
DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
Why is my Yamaha Magicstomp making these noises and no sound?

I've only just got it, but I can't imagine I've set it up wrong. I've tried a factory reset to no avail.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    That sounds like a failing psu to me
    can you try another power supply
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    Hmm no, I just bought this one specifically for it because it didn't come with one.
    I got it from Amazon and it was advertised as a Magicstomp power supply, and all the specs are as required. How annoying.
    what is the input requirement?
    Its AC, 12v and 1Amp. 
    It doesn't even take batteries so I can't test if it's the pedal or not. I was really looking forward to this =/
    No routers or switches around the house with the same specs just to rule it out?
    What's the polarity? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Shame I remember selling these and they sounded great.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    Do you have a multimeter to measure the power supply voltage with? Although that might not be conclusive.

For what it's worth I just came across a faulty aftermarket power supply for a Vox Tonelab too - right spec, appeared to measure the correct output voltage, but after a few minutes the unit would misbehave, then cycle on and off. I guessed it was something in the Tonelab's supply regulator, but on the offchance before I got into a more serious repair, I tried an old Netgear power supply I had to hand of the same spec, and it ran perfectly for hours.

A Netgear one won't help though, it's a DC supply.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

I do have a multimeter. Not sure how to use it though?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    Set it to AC voltage, probably the 20V range if it has one, or anything higher than that if it doesn't. Poke one probe down the hole in the middle of the power supply plug, and hold the other one against the outer barrel. That will give you a voltage reading. For a 12VAC supply it should be slightly above 12V with no load, depending on how well regulated it is. If it's below 12V, it's faulty.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• I don't think it's broke, I think you've got the version specifically built for females. My ex used to have one and she was forever disappearing off to the bedroom and making those noises. She seemed VERY happy with the tones she was geting
    How very rock and roll