Deciding on a new head

What's Hot
not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
I've been using a Fender HRD combo for a while now, running clean with dirt from pedals, but I'm thinking of going back to a head/cab set-up using the amp for dirt. I have two Zilla 2x12s. 

Needs to be two channels, one clean, one dirty. Classic rock levels of gain, anything else and I can use pedals. Needs an FX loop...and loud enough for pub gigs without being mic'd up. 

Looking up to around £700 I think. 

The incoming Jet City Amelia is tempting, as it the incoming PRS Sonzera 50, obviously can't try those yet (and doubt I'd be able to try the Amelia anywhere), but what else should I consider?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    DSL50 is still a damn good sounding head, was good enough for Gary M, Sambora, Jeff Beck and many many others. And you can pick em up used for a very decent price.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • When I read the thread title I thought it sounded a bit drastic...
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    Not sure if you're Kryten or Worzel?
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Bit more expensive (c. £1k) but I'd wholeheartedly recommend the Brunetti Pleximan. 2 channels, lovely sound, footswitchable boost, footswitchable 'hot rod ' switch on the gain channel gives it a bit more welly (so 3 channel really), footswitchable solo (so 4 channel really, 6 if you're being generous ...). V flexible and a good fx loop. 
  • kjdowd said:
    Bit more expensive (c. £1k) but I'd wholeheartedly recommend the Brunetti Pleximan. 2 channels, lovely sound, footswitchable boost, footswitchable 'hot rod ' switch on the gain channel gives it a bit more welly (so 3 channel really), footswitchable solo (so 4 channel really, 6 if you're being generous ...). V flexible and a good fx loop. 
    I came to say exactly the same thing

• cj73 said:
    Not sure if you're Kryten or Worzel?
    Lol
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    H&K Statesman.    believe @Spikeedog  has one for sale, they are superb.
  • A Laney lh50 would fit the bill. Ask @icbm about the loop though - it may be a parallel, but may be moddable nonetheless. I don't recall having any trouble with mine. 

It has a really beautiful clean channel, loves pedals, good classic rock crunch on the dirt and it has a clever global tone control so you can rock up to any room and dial it in really easily without needing to tweak all of the knobs - you just dial how bright or dark it needs to be (so set it at 5 or so at home). 

Loud as fook, excellent tone, bright switch on the cleans will let you get tones you'll associate with a fender amp if you wanted. Mine was reliable too, but a bit of a pain to get to the valves. 

They're bloody affordable these days. I paid £400 for mine new years ago, but I've seen them fetch as little as £150 on ebay. That leaves you enough change for a fabulous custom cab. 
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    Buy a Katana head and stop worrying about gear...
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    There is loads to choose from really. Those new PRS ones do look and sound good though.
  • SpikeedogSpikeedog Frets: 43
    edited February 2017
    Thank you @thomasw88 I do indeed have the H&K Dual Statesman (very fiine) and the awesome and versatile Laney IHT 120w. Both great condition and great for low level or big gig playing. Not advertised on here yet. Cheap as chips too.
  • Sorry no...the K&K head is the Dual Statesman (getting mixed up with my combo).

• Stiletto Deuce
  • I was about to recommend the used Budda Superdrive 45 head that's been sitting at Coda for aeons, as it's a phenomenal amp, but it seems to have finally sold!
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    Yeah, I'd noticed that Buda amp sitting on Coda site for ages to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Budda Superdrive 45s are amongst the best rock amps ever made. Friedman-designed preamps, KT66 valves...I have an early one with the dual rectifiers and it's just glorious. It cost me over two grand for the head. They seemed to fall out of fashion when Peavey bought them over but I love mine  
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited February 2017
    I have two Zilla 2x12s. 

Needs to be two channels, one clean, one dirty. Classic rock levels of gain, anything else and I can use pedals. Needs an FX loop...and loud enough for pub gigs without being mic'd up. 

What about a JVM? 
    It doesn't even have to be my JVM, but the JVM gives you four channels of absolute classic amps in one head, a really good FX loop and two Master volumes.  I.e.  you can kick the second one in for solos and always be heard.  You can also do a neat thing where you can set the FX loop to act as a solo boost too if you want, so like kick in your echo and get a boost as you do so.  And it's a 100W Marshall head so even with just one 2*12 it's definitely loud enough!  Lovely amps.