Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Fretboard banner

What's Hot
hotpothotpot Frets: 846
edited February 2017 in Off Topic
Nice job on the new header design.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    That would look cracking on a t-shirt.

Nice one!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    hotpot said:

hey hotpot, how did you get your dark background? is that your browser or a site preference?
    i use a mid-tone raspberry background for word etc (special) but would be nice here too.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Needs more jam ! ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    edited February 2017
    You feckin' weirdo :D (not least because you're using Unity...GNOME, man, GNOME!!!!)

Seriously, though, I'll bear it in mind the next time I do tweaks - I'll convert the image background to transparent (the Guitar Show banner will have gone by then).
    <space for hire>
  • Also...I've been wondering if we should bring the brightness down on the background. It would be a fair bit of work, given that there are a lot of faded greys in the design, so everything would need darkening a bit. I might even look into the possibility of having an alternate "night time" theme which you could choose in your profile, but I haven't got the first clue how to do that yet.
    <space for hire>
  • TroyTroy Frets: 224
    Looks great
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 605
    Nice!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72256
    Am I the only one who hates it?

Oh well...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Also...I've been wondering if we should bring the brightness down on the background. It would be a fair bit of work, given that there are a lot of faded greys in the design, so everything would need darkening a bit. I might even look into the possibility of having an alternate "night time" theme which you could choose in your profile, but I haven't got the first clue how to do that yet.
    It is a tad brilliant white tbh
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ICBM said:

Oh well...
    I'm not a huge fan of the actual logo, but I do prefer it to the old one.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

Oh well...
    Yup :)

We actually put out a job spec on freelancer.com (I think), and you should've seen some of the guff we got back. I'm reasonably convinced some of them were just Microsoft clipart.

We just wanted something clear, clean and recognisable so that when we stick it on t-shirts/mugs/calendars etc it's effectively an instantly-recognisable brand. As a bonus, the box on the left gives us an icon too.

Can't please everyone, but we seem to have pleased most people :)
    <space for hire>

We actually put out a job spec on freelancer.com (I think)
    Well at least it wasn't one of you :).

It's awful.

The 'guitar' logo itself is vile, it looks like something a marketing consultant would have come up with in the 1990s to make a boring old music company seem fresh and trendy. I know this is personal taste, but the 'body' shape reminds me of a Knaggs, which is almost everything I detest about electric guitars… and an angled pointy headstock is the rest. The 'fretboard' font doesn't go with it, the angled e is irritating, and to cap it all the '.co.uk' shoved under the far end makes the whole thing look tilted and off-kilter.

Its actually so hard on my eyes that I have to quickly scroll it up out of the way. Thankfully I can't see it on my phone…

(the Guitar Show banner will have gone by then).
    That's a shame, because it's by far the best-looking part of it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    Still amazed that the OP can navigate the site in those colours. I'd be sick after a while.

Yeah, a transparent PNG logo is the way to go - and optional themes would be a good idea (not that I'd stop using the current one - black text on light background is always best).
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

We actually put out a job spec on freelancer.com (I think)
    Well at least it wasn't one of you :).

It's awful.

The 'guitar' logo itself is vile, it looks like something a marketing consultant would have come up with in the 1990s to make a boring old music company seem fresh and trendy. I know this is personal taste, but the 'body' shape reminds me of a Knaggs, which is almost everything I detest about electric guitars… and an angled pointy headstock is the rest. The 'fretboard' font doesn't go with it, the angled e is irritating, and to cap it all the '.co.uk' shoved under the far end makes the whole thing look tilted and off-kilter.

Its actually so hard on my eyes that I have to quickly scroll it up out of the way. Thankfully I can't see it on my phone…

(the Guitar Show banner will have gone by then).
    That's a shame, because it's by far the best-looking part of it.
    Why don't you see if you can come up with something more presentable then?
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    vale said:
    hotpot said:

hey hotpot, how did you get your dark background? is that your browser or a site preference?
    i use a mid-tone raspberry background for word etc (special) but would be nice here too.

I use an add on with firefox called 'colour that site'. I have to change the white background colour on this site (a few others too) because looking at it on my 30" monitor is like looking into a searchlight.

I have three other PC's with different colour schemes for this site.
  • hotpot said:
    vale said:
    hotpot said:

I use an add on with firefox called 'colour that site'. I have to change the white background colour on this site (a few others too) because looking at it on my 30" monitor is like looking into a searchlight.

I have three other PC's with different colour schemes for this site.
    I get around it a different way - I use Redshift to automatically alter the colour balance of my monitor throughout the day.
    <space for hire>
    miserneil said:

I'll have a go. I'm not really a graphics person so it may need actually realising by someone who knows what they're doing.

I liked the old banner MUCH better, although I can see that it was possibly a bit busy and heavy-looking.

How about something that's a better play on 'Fretboard'? It occured to me that Fretboard has nine letters, which is the same as the traditional number of position markers on a guitar fretboard…

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6055
    ICBM said:

Oh well...
    I don't like it but I'll guess I'll get used to it. It seems overly fussy - different font colours, too much art (it would be much improved if you did away with the icon thingy on the left). Simple is beautiful.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    miserneil said:

My goodness, that old chestnut, seriously?

"Yngwie Malmsteen is shit!"

"I suppose you can shred faster, then?"

"Laura Cox is sooo ugly, wouldn't touch her with yours, mate!"

"So you're married to a supermodel?"

ICBM said:
    How about something that's a better play on 'Fretboard'? It occured to me that Fretboard has nine letters, which is the same as the traditional number of position markers on a guitar fretboard…

Wicked! :sunglasses:

So, Becker:

http://www.guitars.ru/05/ax/becker.jpg

Or Tufnel?

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/sZIAAOSwx-9WyRgA/s-l1600.jpg

Two of my favourite guitars ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    miserneil said:

I'll have a go. I'm not really a graphics person so it may need actually realising by someone who knows what they're doing.
    Honestly...and without wishing to sound too blunt about it...that would likely be a waste of your time. We've already got the materials printed for the show (stand candy, t-shirts, cards, flyers etc), so it's here to stay for the foreseeable future. Having that material out there and a totally different logo on the site is exactly what we're trying to avoid. The timing of the change is not an accident ;)

With that said, I'm (personally) not totally averse to @JezWynd's idea of using the box on the side as the icon only and removing it from the header. We'll probably have a chat about that behind the curtain.
    <space for hire>