Yamaha THR-10 vs Blackstar Core ID-10 ... decisions, decisions!

What's Hot
Steve922Steve922 Frets: 38
edited February 2017 in Amps

Its been about three months since buying my Yamaha strat and Blackstar Fly 3 practice amp. I fancy upgrading to a more versatile amp (more effects to play with) and these two amps seem to be 'in' at the moment as top buys.

So how can I choose?  As far as I know, the Yamaha has a fair bit more to play with but also costs a fair bit more! Like £255 to £100.  Money is not really an issue but I abhor wasting it!

The Yamaha has one feature which really appeals to me and that is the 5-button memory feature. I'm assuming that after spending 10 minutes getting just the sound I want for this song, I can sink the settings in memory to recall later. Right?     OTOH, the Blackstar seems way better Value-for-money, especially as I'm a beginner and not too particular about my sounds.

TBH, I don't really need anything better than my Fly 3 ; I just fancy it. I'm thinking I've got a bit of GAS that needs attending to?  STilll - I want something!

Any opinions to help me decide?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Boss Katana 100w 1x12 or the 50w 1x12 if you don't need so many fx at once 
  • markjmarkj Frets: 910
    Personally I hated the Yamaha that I bought around 3 weeks ago. I loved the clean settings but anything with drive sounded tinny and fizzy. Luckily for me the shop took the amp back and gave me a full refund.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Just to muddy the issue, would you consider spending an extra £100 & get a Boss eband js-10? It has some amps & fx taken from their flagship product & you can store 100 variations of them, a tuner plus the ability to play backing tracks you can alter the speed & pitch on. It comes with 350 backing loops & you can load your own, & a mate can also plug in so you can both jam along together. I'd say it's designed for a beginner like yourself, but when you see the likes of John Petrucci saying he uses several in various rooms to practice with then fair to say that anyone can benefit from it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    I have an ID Core 10 in Cornwall.  Whenever I get down there and use it, I'm always surprised by how good it is and how much more it sounds like a guitar amp than the THR10C - which I sold.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Another +1 for the Blackstar. Better than THR's IMO.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 681
    I had a Core 10, put it up against my sons THR and we both preferred the Blackstar. He kept the THR because the onboard controls are far better, and I upgraded to a TVP for exactly the same reason.
  • Or buy the Vox VT20+ on here.  Great practice amp with presets and giggable at a push.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    uncledick said:
    Or buy the Vox VT20+ on here.  Great practice amp with presets and giggable at a push.
    Absolutey agree with that too.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I'm a big fan of my THR10C and use it at home more than anything else I've got. They're not for everyone though it seems. The Vox Mini5 Rhythm often gets name checked in these discussions, so that may be worth chucking into the hat too.
  • Steve922Steve922 Frets: 38
    edited February 2017

ARRGGHHHH!!!!!!  So much good stuff! So many choices! I'm really attracted to the Boss eband js-10 mentioned above (thanks drippycat); that looks really good! Lots of setting to play with! And that Vox Mini (thanks simonk) just might be better value than them all!   At least I can discount the Boss Katana and VOX (thanks anyway, sweepy & unckedick) on the grounds that my room is very small!

I'm now worried that by spend another 20% I can get something better still and suddenly I'm up at £500 which, not exactly out of budget but probably way out of my playing level!  Where does it all end?

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Wasn't impressed with the ID core I tried in PMT. dull and lifeless

i think the THR is great for cleans and light break up. Not for high gain though
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    mellowsun said:
    Wasn't impressed with the ID core I tried in PMT. dull and lifeless

i think the THR is great for cleans and light break up. Not for high gain though
    You need the Yamaha THR10X ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12257
    I have a THR10x, not fizzy at all, does cleans to high gain and pretty much everything in between. I would like to try the Katana though.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2014
    edited February 2017
    Another vote for THR over the ID Core - had both and much preferred the yamaha. The background hiss alone on the blackstar was awful. But, as this thread demonstrates- the only way to be sure is to try them out because (thankfully) we all like different stuff. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    I have an ID:Core 10, so after a year of ownership I can say: -

Good
    - Exceptional value for money, you will not get better for < £100
    - Nice selection of tones and effects, especially if you plug it into your PC and tweak with Insider, but also fine on its own.
    - Its a good size, mine is sitting on top of my desktop pc.
    - The current v2 model is presumably a bit better, so that's good.
    - Good basic recording ability through USB, can track straight into audacity for quick and dirty recording.

Bad
    - Stupid issue with hiss, that they frankly should have fixed in v2 and apparently have not, that seems to be a circuit board design problem.  This isn't THAT bad.
    - I guess, probably there are reasons why this is £100 and a THR is £250...

People love and swear by their THRs but they cost 2.5 times as much, so they need to be somewhat better.

If you have a £250 budget, that brings dozens of amps into your price range, you start getting up to little valve combos, or an organge micro terror and a little cab.  Whatever you plug in, turn on and do a quick strum and you are like "YERSSS!".

Go into a decent store and say you want a nice practice amp and you have a £250 budget and you have a fun afternoon lined up! :)

We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467

People love and swear by their THRs but they cost 2.5 times as much, so they need to be somewhat better.

True enough. They change hands second hand for around the £160 mark though - bargainous at that price.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    From my experience the Blackstar is both cheaper and better sounding than the Yamaha. 

I'd consider the Katana if size isn't an issue.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    simonk said:

True enough. They change hands second hand for around the £160 mark though - bargainous at that price.
    Still sixty of your British pounds more than a spanking new Core 10, but second hand of course has to be a consideration.

Not sure what a second hand Core 10 might go for of course (which is a fair comparison), I'd imagine about £75 or so, which is a ludicrously small amount of money for something so capable.

We should love this age of cheap electronics while it lasts. :)
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 597
    I haven't played the Blackstar but my THR is the best home practice solution I've used. It is so convenient so gets a lot of use. What I think it excels at is extremely low volume practice (where I can still hear my guitar strings unamplified) It means I can practice late at night without headphones which I much prefer to headphones practice.
    I've had some decent solid state amps but they just didn't sound right when turned down to whisper volume. My valve amps are not at their best at this level either so the combination of sounds and convenience of the THR means it gets used almost every day. 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
     Beexter said:
    I haven't played the Blackstar but my THR is the best home practice solution I've used. It is so convenient so gets a lot of use. What I think it excels at is extremely low volume practice (where I can still hear my guitar strings unamplified) It means I can practice late at night without headphones which I much prefer to headphones practice.
    I've had some decent solid state amps but they just didn't sound right when turned down to whisper volume. My valve amps are not at their best at this level either so the combination of sounds and convenience of the THR means it gets used almost every day. 
    +1.

Obviously pros & cons for each of alternatives. I've got a THR10C, and love it. The Blackstar wasn't on my menu, and the Yamaha is a very very good solid piece of kit. A good quality second hand would be a great buy, but you won't get the guarantee when buying new.

Ask yourself, what's important. Draw up a list of criteria, then get yourself to a Yamaha/Blackstar/Fender dealer and work your way through the options. You might come away surprised, but satisfied you've done the due diligence bit.