JTM45 Vs 1987X

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
As title really, what are the main differences between the Marshall JTM45 and the 1987X? Obviously there is the wattage difference but I'm unsure of others, does the 1987X have more gain on tap? They both look very similar but is that where the similarities end? Thank you in advance for any help on the matter!
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    @zepp76 yes, they are not the same amp. I know you've been looking for a 45 for a few months and if that's the amp you're after I'd stick at looking for one of those. 

The 1987x from what I'm told is monsterously loud. You can drive the JTM45 into break up and still not be ruining everyone's hearing, you won't do that with the 1987x.

From what I can see they don't really sound the same either. The 1987x is more rock based. More gain, thinner sounding, it doesn't have the warmth or sag of the JTM45. It looks brilliant but if you want a JTM45 it's not that amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    shaunm said:
    @zepp76 yes, they are not the same amp. I know you've been looking for a 45 for a few months and if that's the amp you're after I'd stick at looking for one of those. 

The 1987x from what I'm told is monsterously loud. You can drive the JTM45 into break up and still not be ruining everyone's hearing, you won't do that with the 1987x.

From what I can see they don't really sound the same either. The 1987x is more rock based. More gain, thinner sounding, it doesn't have the warmth or sag of the JTM45. It looks brilliant but if you want a JTM45 it's not that amp.

+1 - the JTM45 is based on the Fender Bassman circuit hence its earlier break-up & sag.  If that's the feel & tone you want, then a JTM45 is what you need.  But on the subject of Bassman's, have you tried any? Might also give you the type of tone, break-up & feel you like.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Thanks for the replies chaps, I'm definitely not straying from wanting a JTM45 I was just wondering the difference as they look so similar.

I'm being as patient as possible but nothing has popped up at the right price yet, well, there was one on eBay but the seller didn't want to courier it and wanted me to pay outside of eBay, something I was unhappy to do.

I've already found the cab, that's coming Tuesday so I hope I find an amp soon!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Basically the 1987 is perceptively about twice as loud as the JTM45, much brighter, and tighter/harder-sounding.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    Basically the 1987 is perceptively about twice as loud as the JTM45, much brighter, and tighter/harder-sounding.
    Twice as loud? Crikey that's some serious volume!
    zepp76 said:

Yes. Perhaps twice is an exaggeration, but it sounds a *lot* more than just the extra 2dB you'd expect from the power difference alone. It's because the 1987 is so much more aggressively-voiced and has much less sag, so it really bites.

Essentially the JTM45 is just about quiet enough to push the power stage into overdrive and get away with it at a small gig, especially with less-efficient speakers. The 1987 isn't, without attenuation.

And if you think that's loud then a Super Lead is much more again. 100W is "only 3dB more" than 50W, but it doesn't sound like it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have an old 100w super lead that gets cranked every 3 years or so ..... i really need a JTM 45

As for the OP, why not build a head kit with good transformers? 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    Have you tried a jtm?     In your first thread asking about them you mentioned using an attenuator so if you like the sound of the 1987 then it could have the volume dropped the same way.    It depends how you plan to gig it I suspect.    
    edited February 2017
    After listening to the 1987x I can safely say it is definitely not what I'm after, too much gain. It lacks the warmness of the JTM, the cleans to me are great and it sounds ace when lightly driven (the JTM). I've got other amps that will do the high gain thing when needed. I just love every thing I've heard of the JTM and am like an excited school boy at the thought of getting one. Nothing else will do, no clones no kits!
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    ICBM said:
    zepp76 said:

Yes. Perhaps twice is an exaggeration, but it sounds a *lot* more than just the extra 2dB you'd expect from the power difference alone. It's because the 1987 is so much more aggressively-voiced and has much less sag, so it really bites.

Essentially the JTM45 is just about quiet enough to push the power stage into overdrive and get away with it at a small gig, especially with less-efficient speakers. The 1987 isn't, without attenuation.

And if you think that's loud then a Super Lead is much more again. 100W is "only 3dB more" than 50W, but it doesn't sound like it...
    Then there is the Major ....
    Cabicular said:

Then there is the Major ....
    Although interestingly, that's not that much - or any, really - louder when fully cranked, because it's a less aggressive sound than the Super Lead. It does go louder at the bottom end and for clean to semi-clean though - it's a better bass amp than guitar amp in a lot of ways. Of course there's also the possibility that it's just hammering the speakers so hard that they're compressing much more than they do with the Super Lead, too...