Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ten a day? (Fruit and veg that is - not ciggies!)

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9655
edited February 2017 in Off Topic
Well, this morning I've had raspberries, pineapple, and a couple of satsumas, and I guess I'll probably have a portion or two of veg with my evening meal. So, that's only four or five. Ten does seem like rather a lot.

If the health benefits of ten are anything like the claims being made then I'm all up for giving it a go, but ten portions (I assume of ten different veg) does sound quite a feat.

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16079
    Thought you meant 10 fags !..........quite the opposite 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9655
    Title edited.
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

"This is a song about vegetables, they keep you regular, they're good for ya..." (Zappa... can't remember the song name right now.)

• I think most countries had a higher recommendation than our 5 anyway. I suspect I'll manage about 2 today :flushed: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I think I'd burst if I ate that much.
    It'd have to be mainly veg for me as fruit has so much natural sugar which I feel rushing to my face!
  • richhrichh Frets: 450
    These days you have to make a conscious effort not to eat total crap. If you go into virtually any food shop, the aisle end points and so on are all sugar filled, fast food, fizzy drinks, etc.  If you are tired and stressed it is hard to avoid that temptation TBH.  Especially as they are so cheap, on multipacks and special offers.  Its great that relatively cheap food and drink is available, but again it steers people towards consuming sugary foods.

I noticed a post on the forum recently where somebody had bought stuff from Holland and Barrett, and then realised it wasn't really very healthy.  I'm sure we all like a bit of choccy and crisps occassionally, but the scale of the intrusion of sweets, crisps and cola is so extreme that it feels like the David Icke Lizard People are conspiring to poison the human race!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I think most countries had a higher recommendation than our 5 anyway. I suspect I'll manage about 2 today :flushed: 
    Must be true as I heard it on QI: The 5 a day was just an arbitrary figure to get people eating more good stuff, and they thought 5 was achievable. Other countries gave out different advice based on what they thought their population could stomach.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited February 2017
    French Fancies are on offer for a quid at the moment.

It's not that I don't like fruits and veg, it's more the fact that it's tasteless and totally uninspiring here, from Tomatoes to Bananas to Strawberries, even the birds won't touch it.  I remeber living in Philadelphia for a while, you'd pick the tomatoes on the vine and the next day they'd be a whole new crop. Greece was nice for salads,  Finger banana's on the Nile are outstanding.  I'd love to visit Italy one day.

I suppose watercress and rocket is OK, but there is a total lack of decent tomatoes in this country. 

Potatoes, swedes and turnips don't do it for me personally and it's just about impossible to grow Coriander and Basil.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16079
    Decent Tomatoes ? ......grow your own Sambo .....couple of growbags and some Tomorite -you'll be amazed if you get the right species 
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    edited February 2017
    I love veggies, ten is a lot though. today I've had tomatoes/broccoli/carrots/swede/cabbage/potatoes/mushrooms.
  • I eat more Fruit than Veg, but then I get lectured off my Dentist for that, you can't win.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • As a general rule I think 10 units of alcohol in a day is too much - even for @Sambostar.

I'm surprised this is being promoted as healthy....
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9655
    As a general rule I think 10 units of alcohol in a day is too much - even for @Sambostar.

I'm surprised this is being promoted as healthy....
    But if you include...

Peach schnapps 
    Cherry brandy
    Sloe gin

...then clearly you're getting more fruit in you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Smoothie maker / nutri ninja thing.

Easy Peasy,............Lemon Squeezy ! 
    (That's fifteen thousand times funnier in a Glaswegian accent !)
    Today i've had 4 fruit and 2 veg in a 1 litre smoothie and then 3 veg for dinner tonight.
    I also eat fresh pineapple and cherries instead of chocolate or biscuits but the smoothies are just so easy.
    :)
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    ^ @Wazmeister ;

Thanks for the tip mate, changed my life !
  • starwarsnosebleedstarwarsnosebleed Frets: 2357
    edited February 2017
    Ive been using a Nutri-bullet smoothie maker for around 2 years.
    Before that i barely ate fruit at all. Now i have at least 1 fruit smoohie a day, and they actually taste great.

Usually a banana, with some blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and maybe a bit of spinach. Bleddy lovely!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited February 2017
    Yes

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • I try to pack as much veg into my evening meals as possible (I often just graze during the day due to work). Last night I made beef chilli, and chucked in broccoli, a green pepper, handful of mushrooms, a small onion and a block of frozen spinach (my secret weapon). Combined with whatever was in the sauce too (tomatoes, red peppers, beans), that to was probably not far off 6. Had a banana too, so that's 7, and could probably have caught up on the others if I ate a proper breakfast and lunch.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11286
    According to someone on the radio yesterday, one portion is 80g.

Ten a day is therefore about 1¾lbs of fruit and veg. That's quite a bit.
  • Ravenous said:

"This is a song about vegetables, they keep you regular, they're good for ya..." (Zappa... can't remember the song name right now.)

littlegreenman < My tunes here...