Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ten a day? (Fruit and veg that is - not ciggies!)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    10 ?

FFS

Can I just eat what I want if I promise to top myself at 75?
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 800g of veg a day. that is a lot. Does a pint of cider count (apple) or a bottle of wine (grapes)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    It's not so much that Fruit and Veg are bland as that we have become accoustomed to super intense tastes from sugar, salt and fat. I have made a concerted effort in recent years to eat better but allow the odd takeaway once or twice a month. Healthy veg is great but prepare it yourself so you get what you like. I avoid sugar drinks like cola etc. My recent conversion is to fizzy water of all things. I love cake and biscuits but they feature less and less in the houshold diet these days. I've eaten salad brought in from home every day this week. Apart from Sausages with the stire fry veg Wednesday it's been a pretty good week. I have Porridge with 2-4 fruit and yogurt each breakfast so I'm getting lots of variety, it's just that I read this week the size of the portions required and wonderred if I could eat that much!

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9549
    ESBlonde said:
     ...I read this week the size of the portions required and wonderred if I could eat that much!
    Yup - makes me wonder if it's all a story put out by the fruit and veg marketing boys.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • I'd struggle to eat 10 portions a day, even with the best will in the world. I make my own curry sauce which at least means the veggies I'm eating taste nice but beyond that I'm out of ideas.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    The missus has been dieting and our evening meal consumption has been mountains of vegetables.

The fall out has been quite spectacular - we have the windows open, even tho it's winter
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited February 2017
    if you have ibs this totally isn't advisable. it will turn you inside out. too much fibre & irritating enzymes. just take a decent quality multi vit-min & eat what your system can handle.
    i generally eat some kind of steamed vegetable with each meal but i don't fixate. & some things like kidney beans & pulses are kind of inbetween carb & veg anyway. unless it's meat, everything is vegetable-ish. nuts, oats, lentils, etc.

i also think virtues of the fruit the brits eat is overrated. a ton of sugar & water & quality of vits, mins & trace elements hugely dependent on how it was grown & ripened & how it was stored. & pesticides & preservatives to be factored in.
    like bananas come here totally hard & green & are ethylene gas ripened, not sun ripened, which is why they can often taste of fluff & dust.

the taste & intrinsic nutritional qualities of a tomato in rome in august will be amazing.
    in hull in january a different experience. like chewing on a trainer.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I can't really recall much, but didn't someone in the Government or NHS say that eating 5 a day isn't feasible for most people?
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    The missus has been dieting and our evening meal consumption has been mountains of vegetables.

The fall out has been quite spectacular - we have the windows open, even tho it's winter

So you're to blame for all this wind! :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Ravenous said:

Quite possibly...

There's certainly some high pressure centred around bridge house at the moment..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    Ravenous said:

Quite possibly...

There's certainly some high pressure centred around bridge house at the moment..
    A guitarist with GAS, now there's a rarity.