French language music

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Check out 'Mass Hysteria', especially the album Contra-addiction.
    Proper rock band.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers all, just sorting out a long YouTube queue :smile: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Stress is a swiss guy from the romandie region so his records are in french

• Not at all the style you are looking for, but Saïan Supa Crew

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4974

French heavy metal
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073

• I really like listening to music in foreign language. 

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited February 2017
    I don't know how accessible they are to find on Youtube Spotify et al (I'll look later when I'm not at work) but there is/was an Austrian band called Les Hommes Sauvages who sing/sang in French, German (well, Austrian) and English, and whose singer I got to know quite well when I lived in Vienna (not in the biblical sense). In particular their album "Trafic" is wonderful with some great French language songs. They describe themselves as "music noir" so a bit arty but nice guitar work and some good rocking bits in there as well. You're very welcome to borrow the CD if you like if you're in Brum town any time soon
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    edited February 2017
    Sacha Distel was a great jazz guitar player as well as singer.

FWIW I prefer the older Torchlight/Chanson singers to mainstream French pop or more recent Chanson offerings.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Cheers all on more updates :blush: I've been out this afternoon so I'll have to do more links as the weekend progresses. 

@thecolourbox I am fairly rarely in Brum city centre anymore but I shall try to bear that in mind if I am, ta. 
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    hey @EricTheWeary knowing you like your reggae & ska, here's a couple of things i remember from mixtapes friends gave me when i lived in marseille (large black/arab population & culture) circa 2000.
    names worth following up.
    pierpoljak 2 mixes, standard & dubby.

gainsbourg aux armes etcetera, seminal & broke reggae into french mainstream.

& mc solar big back then for a hiphip/reggae crossover.

hope useful to you.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • vale said:
    hey @EricTheWeary knowing you like your reggae & ska, here's a couple of things i remember from mixtapes friends gave me when i lived in marseille (large black/arab population & culture) circa 2000.
    names worth following up.
    pierpoljak 2 mixes, standard & dubby.

gainsbourg aux armes etcetera, seminal & broke reggae into french mainstream.

& mc solar big back then for a hiphip/reggae crossover.

hope useful to you.
    Cheers, added to my YouTube list :grin: Reggae seems to be a big thing in parts of France, on our trips we've seen teenagers hanging out on street corners listening to reggae and reggae bands playing in bars in tiny villages. Alpha Blondy ( who I mentioned in my OP) is, I think, French speaking Senegalese and plays stadiums in France but hardly known here. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    For some reason I can no longer remember, I own this album.  Can't imagine how I even heard of it, but it has something about it.

• There's always Sash's seminal hit "encore end fois"
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • One of my albums of 2016 - Lazuli, "Nos Ames Saoules". They're on Spotify. 
    Philly_Q said:
    For some reason I can no longer remember, I own this album.  Can't imagine how I even heard of it, but it has something about it.

@Philly_Q autour de lucie are cool. je reviens is one of theirs i really liked from the time i was big into french (late90s early2000s). so i remember them well.
    there's a french producer called 'dominique A' & a lot of what he touches has that lush whispered vocals, slack&echoey snare, shimmery guitars feel too it. he may have been involved with them somehow. even if not, he is worth watching out for if you like that sort of sound. it's very late 90s french indie.
    there's another guy called yann teirsen (famous for doing the soundtrack to amelie) & he produces a few french indie artists too. more baroque & textured & keyboard-driven that dominique A.
    here's another you might like if you like lucie. superlush. & the video is a heart breaker.

@EricTheWeary
    hey eric, i remembered another with a reggae/ska offbeat feel you might like. the lead singer has a bit of a troubled past so band broke up after he went to prison, but this was massive in europe, probs around the same time as the manu chao stuff you like.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    @vale  Thanks for the recommendations!  :)  

I may investigate, but buying Autour de Lucie was very out of character for me, I'm basically a hard rock/old school metal person.  It's a bit of a mystery to me why I bought that album, I guess I must have read a glowing review or heard a track somehow and liked it.
  • I still haven't heard everything yet but I had Pierpoljak on streaming whilst I was making the tea. Don't know if it's helping my pronunciation yet, I still sound like a Harry Enfield character when I'm doing my French course. 
  • dtrdtr Frets: 1037
    Philly_Q said:
    @vale  Thanks for the recommendations!  :)  

I may investigate, but buying Autour de Lucie was very out of character for me, I'm basically a hard rock/old school metal person.  It's a bit of a mystery to me why I bought that album, I guess I must have read a glowing review or heard a track somehow and liked it.
    as to "very out of character for me". don't believe it. more likely is that you're a far bigger & broad-minded character than you allow yourself credit for.

'je reviens' was their big single that got played on heavy rotation on the black session (the french peel/evening session equiv). i was into broadcast & stereolab at the time & they were shut out here (apart from peel) by the medias fixation with oasis&blur. so they all skipped the channel & did black sessions. some great stuff in the france-inter archives as a result.

unfortunately hard french rock i know nothing of. so can't help there. & what i have heard made my hair uncurl. johnny fucking haliday *shudders*.