Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Prized possessions

What's Hot
beed84beed84 Frets: 2408
edited February 2017 in Off Topic
Besides the guitars you love and cherish, especially the ones you'll never get rid of, name one other prized possession you own that you'll keep forever.  Mine is my Omega watch. Always wanted one during my early twenties and after having one for a year or so now, the novelty still hasn't worn off. It pleases me everyday. What's yours?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    more like 3 for me, ,y late dads wedding ring, rotary watch and bible.
  • My panda bear that my granny gave me when I was born. Very threadbare and rather flattened as I slept with it every night when I was a kid.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I have two.

The first is the clock on our mantlepiece. Owned by my Great Uncle - restored by my Dad and given to me by my parents for my 18th Birthday:

And then a ring given to me by my parents for my 40th birthday. The ring itself was made new, but the Ruby belonged to my grandfather, and was taken out of his signet ring. It's a bit of a big rock...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6901
    edited February 2017
    I've thought about this and I don't think I have anything. I don't wear jewellery or watches, I'm not interested in flash cars or motorbikes.

This will sound corny but physical things mean nothing to me. My family means everything - and as long as I've got them I'm happy.

I did have, and subsequently lost a close family member's engagement ring. I was mortified at the time but after a while soon realised that it's just an inanimate object and is no substitute for my memories of that person.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't have anything like that. 
  • Rolex which I bought when I was 23, Montblanc fountain pen and old 335....
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    edited February 2017
    The only thing I'd be disappointed to lose would be a coin the wife gave me, it's worth face value of about 30p but it's lives in my wallet and I panic a bit if I think I've lost it. Anything else is either worthless or replaceable. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• My late dad's Rolleiflex 2.8GX TLR camera, which I keep in a nice glass cabinet.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Watches here too....dads old omega seamaster Geneve auto which I recently had overhauled , plus my own newer seamaster, and moms old jewelery box.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9661
    edited February 2017
    Just one thing really....

A photo of my Dad in his war years in front of a Lancaster bomber with a whole load of flight and ground crew. Not even an original photo so no intrinsic value whatsoever but means a lot to me.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/03/23/article-2119392-006839D000000258-682_966x600.jpg

(Dad is standing immediately behind the man kneeling on the far right)
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6058
    An old hard back book, 'Porson's Flying Service' about a young lad who starts his own flying business just after WW1. The book was given to my father by his parents as a Christmas present in 1937. It sparked a love of aviation that saw him go on to have a successful career as a pilot. When he finally retired from the airlines as a captain of 747's he bought an old airfield of his own, just like his hero in the book. He inscribed an outline of his flying career on the flyleaf. It's a good book.
  • Aluminium body swiss army knife my grandad gave me, not prized but I have nothing else with sentimental value (at least until my parents go)
  • My Inuksuk, sent to me by a friend from Canada. Handmade from reclaimed glass. They say that when you can view one, you know you are not alone. Comforts me when I need it, and is priceless.

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3443
    My kids, I have all the Santa's letters that went up the chimney every year, never did get what I asked For! 
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22773
    I have a couple of 1964 coins which I always carry around in my jeans pocket.

A couple of old books which I love - Erling the Bold by R M Ballantyne, which belonged to my mum (and maybe my grandfather before that) and The Thirteen Clocks by James Thurber, which belonged to my dad.

And a few random ornaments which I've had since I was a kid - a kangaroo money box, some old Corgi cars and things.  I'm quite sentimental about anything I've owned for a long time. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    My Great Uncles Smiths watch similar to https://www.smithswatches.com/collections/smiths-deluxe/products/deluxe-made-in-england-solid-9ct-gold-gents-wristwatch-box-paper-mint for 45 years service on the railways. The enscription is on the back.

Also my silver St.Christopher's medal which I have had since I was 2 years old (33 now). It's been on a few various chains, but the medal is the same. 

• SporkySporky Frets: 28114
    Everything I have is replaceable.

That said, I'd have been very, very sad if the tree that went over yesterday had taken the workshop out. Fortunately it went the other way and just trashed the neighbours' gardens.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • I don't think I have one. My red strat would come high (self build, and so damn good), or my 1934 rolleiflex, or maybe my Canon ae1-p which was my first proper camera. 

When there is more on it I'd probably grab my backup hard drive, which has my photos and lr catalogue and operating system image or whatever its called on it. Easier to carry than my (Admittedly small) alienware computer. 

I love my cameras though. My digital kit is really there to just get results - I'm more attached to the film stuff. 
  • A small grey glass pebble. about 11 years ago my youngest step son  was going on a school trip to York, and they were allowed to take £1 spending money. i gave him his £1 in the morning and i put an extra £1 in his jeans pocket and told him not to tell the teachers, but he didnt have to spend it if he didnt want it. Anyway i go to pick him up for school and ask him how his day was and he hands me this small glass pebble, i asked him what it was and his response was " i used my pound and bought you this coz i love you" that pebble has lived in my pocket ever since apart from one day. My wife was rushed into hospital on a Saturday night pregnant, i had to leave her there and go home to sort the dog, got up on the Sunday morning, walked down the hill to get the bus to the Hospital, went to pay for the bus and realised my pebble wasnt there. Spent the the day in the hospital, we lost the baby, a horrible horrble day. Left the hospital in the evening, got the bus home and was walking up the hill to the house, head down, lost in my own thoughts and there on the kerb, 13 hours after it had fallen through a hole in my jeans pocket was a small grey glass pebble. Its now broken in half and chipped and bits missing but its in my pocket. 
    0reaction image LOL 22reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nothing at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom