The amp merry-go-round

What's Hot
So, it's that time again. Amp indecision. I picked up a Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 late last year and have had a lot of fun using it. I've played a lot of heavy rock and metal and found it to be without fault, despite the slightly difficult dialling in. I really aimed for a catch-all amp (and had coveted a Mesa Boogie for too long) that would be great for everything, although I really don't think such a thing exists.

I've since returned to playing with my band, which is much more a blues/jazz rock vibe, and have struggled to really get where I want with it, other than leads on channel two (or one with overdrive, distortion and boost kicked in on my T-Rex Soulmate). I can't quite work out how to describe what's wrong with the cleaner sounds, perhaps a little brittle, maybe over-compressed? I'm using it with a Zilla Fatbaby (oversized 1 x 12) fitted with a Neo Creamback. 

Since getting a Blackstar Fly 3 for home use, which does it all at nice volumes, I've come to the conclusion that my metal band fantasies will remain just that and I need an amp focussed on a softer sound, with the ability to kick up to saturated leads.

My question is, am I just failing to dial in the clean channel? Or should I move it along and try something else? Really not sure.q

This is the band I play with. All leads recorded using either an Egnater Rebel MKii or BluGuitar AMP1. Some sounds I really like, some I wish I had re-recorded! Might be worth listening to, to get an of idea of the types of sounds would work.

Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I know what you mean in regards to the clean channel.  I've had a 5:25, 5:50 and F50, and on all the clean was just....clinical and sterile.

Would you be looking to run your drives through the clean channel, or have a separate channel for drive?  If the former, I'd suggest a Victory or - if you can find one - a Cornford.  Something like the Hurricane or MK50 would suit. Even their Roadhouse series would be a good call.  The MK50 gives you a switchable overdrive too. Not technically a second channel - it's just an added drive stage - but has a wide range of gain.

Another question would be price range.  I'd suggest Friedman and Hamstead too, but all depends on your budget.
  • Hi, @richalderandash I think that's a close description. I'm more and more thinking drives through the clean channel makes sense. A second boosted channel would be useful too. 

Budget-wise I'm not looking to throws lot more at it. As the Mark V:25 market seems to have died since I bought it, that's a big stumbling block!

My band, Red For Dissent
  • That's got to be annoying. And the exchange / part ex market is always so underpriced.  

Maybe the Blues Deluxe is worth a look. An incredibly underrated amp, and packs a punch. Particularly the Tweed editions.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I find the clean channel on my V:25 pretty tasty really. Is it just the 'clean' mode you don't like or are you finding 'fat' is not cutting it either?
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3723
    edited February 2017
    That's got to be annoying. And the exchange / part ex market is always so underpriced.  

Maybe the Blues Deluxe is worth a look. An incredibly underrated amp, and packs a punch. Particularly the Tweed editions.
    The Blues Deluxe has always been an amp I've toyed with but I became fixated on head and cab, mostly so I could leave a cab at home/cab at rehearsal.  I am now inclined to just leave whatever I've got with the band anyway.

simonk said:
    I find the clean channel on my V:25 pretty tasty really. Is it just the 'clean' mode you don't like or are you finding 'fat' is not cutting it either?
    It's 'Fat' I've used most.  It really most likely is down to me being shite with amps and gear generally.  I've had so many amps with the EQ run at pretty much at 12 o'clock across the board but this isn't one of those.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I've got myself off the amp merry-go-round with a Helix, does every style I could ever need, and does it exceptionally well. 
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3723
    edited February 2017
    John_A said:
    I've got myself off the amp merry-go-round with a Helix, does every style I could ever need, and does it exceptionally well. 
    They do look good, as do Kemper and Axe FX.  I think sometimes I'm waiting for a magic amp that will perfectly set itself up and sound just like the sound in my ears (which maybe I should decipher...). Spending some serious time with somebody else turning dials for me would likely help. And truly digesting the manual!

My band, Red For Dissent
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    There are a couple of good suggested settings threads for the MkV:25 on the Boogie Board - might be worth a peruse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    John_A said:
    They do look good, as do Kemper and Axe FX.  I think sometimes I'm waiting for a magic amp that will perfectly set itself up and sound just like the sound in my ears (which maybe I should decipher...). Spending some serious time with somebody else turning dials for me would likely help. And truly digesting the manual!
    Having taken the plunge, I don't think I'll ever go back to 'proper' amps, any of those three options would be a good choice.