What would be a good quality upgrade to a wilkinson VS-50 Trem

eldarvanyareldarvanyar Frets: 32
edited February 2017 in Making & Modding
I have a Yamaha Pacifica 611 VFM  

It 
 comes with a Wilkinson VS-50 Trem, which is the one on the right. Its a vintage type with 6 screws. 

What would be a premium upgrade to a  Wilkinson Gotoh  VS-50 Trem?

An alternative my be an ABM 5050s which is an all steel one I think  

Or would I be able to replace it with something like a Wilkinson VS-100 Trem (which is a pivot or fulcrum type I think) 

Or is it not worth doing because its  Pacifica? 

'Less is more' or is it 'more is less?'

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yours is a VS50-6, you can't switch to a VS-100 without Drilling posts into the guitar.

I also think you have to be careful with the bridge you choose as the Wilkinsons saddles are quite far back compared to other bridges.

Is there any reason for wanting to upgrade? Wilkinson are pretty high quality.
  • I have never had a Trem with the 6 screws before having used Kahler and Floyd Rose trems in the past. 
    I wonderd if something like a VS-100 would be an upgrade to the VS50-6 or if going to all that trouble to put something significantly better on it. 

'Less is more' or is it 'more is less?'

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    If the screw spacing matches I would go for something of the traditional Fender design and made all from steel, like that ABM.

I've never liked the Wilkinsons, to me they sound thin. I know some people will disagree...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein