Artic Monkeys...12 years on

What's Hot
cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2553
They were mega-hyped at the time but after numerous albums and fantastic songwriting I've come to the conclusion they're one of our best bands of the past 20 years. It's a delight listening to them IMO. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Yeah, Alex Turner is one talented sod!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Agreed
  • They've done some fantastic stuff and he's a clever lyricist.
    In the 6 years or so my band's previous line-up was together, we were asked to learn dozens of songs but we all agreed Do I Wanna Know was our favourite. Thank God that was before my time fronting the band - I watch clips of Turner singing it and playing the riff at the same time and I have to pick my jaw off the floor.

• Ps FWIW Cornerstone is my favourite AM song

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2927
    They're one of those bands I feel like I shouldn't like, but I do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I used to work with a guy who'd taught some of them. He said they were perpetually "the second best band in college" whatever that means. I'd love to have heard the best one :)

Great lyrics and themes - I like how they are not ashamed of where they're from either. I consider "I bet you look good..." to be a new song... is it really 12 years old? :astonished: I
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Great lyrics and themes - I like how they are not ashamed of where they're from either.
    Yep. The View From The Afternoon is a note-perfect depiction of a noughties northern night out.

I've been less interested in their subsequent stuff, but what I've heard of it sounds like a band who have put out consistently good stuff and not settled in to a rut. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Bidley said:
    I have to admit i'm the opposite. I like snippets of their catalogue but never quite "got" it. Maybe it's cos I'm from the south? I honestly don't know.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Do I wanna know is awesome, the rest of it doesn't do anything for me. The lyrics are a bit shallow really, Alex puts me off the band as a whole. 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2927
    Bidley said:
    I have to admit i'm the opposite. I like snippets of their catalogue but never quite "got" it. Maybe it's cos I'm from the south? I honestly don't know.
    I'm a carrot-crunching inbred, so I can't really empathise either!
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Agree with the OP, one of the best British bands of the last 20 years.

There are less successful and more experimental bands many people will like more, but for Guitar based music to thrive it needs to be represented at the top of the charts.

I'm no fan of the 1975 or Bastille (well, one or two decent tracks I admit) but having blokes with guitars scoring big hits increases the chances of more and better guitar based alternative rock getting the recognition it deserves.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • They are undoubtedly a success story and from what I've heard they are consistently decent and have managed that rare feat of always sounding like them but never sounding too samey.

I think of them though as a modern day George Formby, not necessarily in a bad way. Imagine if you will "With my little stick of blackpool rock" performed by them...sounds good right? Or similarly you could perform "I Bet you look goood on the dancefloor" or Flourescent Adolescent quite happily on a uke or banjolele and they'd sound very similar to old George. 
    I'm neither north nor south so I don't gush over them singing like a northerner nor misunderstand their roots, so maybe that's why i'm only lukewarm, neither being a fan nor disliking them
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    The hits from the first album I thought were great but I'm not too familiar with anything else. I did watch some of their set from Glastonbury that included the cringe-worthy Fonz bit. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5157
    They always put a smile on my face  :)
  • A good band but one I never seem to listen to.  They can definitely write a good tune
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I've only heard a few of their tracks but I've liked what I've heard. I also enjoyed their performance at the opening ceremony of the London Olympics.
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    For me their first two albums stand out - great tunes with witty intelligent lyrics.

After Alex Turner created The Last Shadow Puppets with that bloke from The Rascals the Monkey's sound seemed to suffer. I find their later stuff a bit meh.
    We are all Chameleons...
  • I never understood all the talk of them being "over hyped". who was hyping them? because I never got exposed to any of it. I think 'hype' is a ridiculous reason not to like a band anyway. If they're good they're good, if they're not they're not.

1st album was great, but I lost interest pretty quickly after that.
  • Ps FWIW Cornerstone is my favourite AM song
    Cornerstone is f*cking astounding - an absolutely incredible piece of songwriting. And to have written it at such an age. The lyrics/concept are dark......

And I bet you look good on the dance floor - it go to be the teenage kicks of its generation. 

It'll be interesting to see where they go - hopefully a bit more musical diversity. 
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Great band. Too many good songs but "that's where your wrong" has to be one the best pure pop tunes ever written. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom