Bit of advice on buying a 1959 Les Paul Double Cut Junior?

What's Hot
Hi All,

I have been offered a 1959 double cut Les Paul junior in TV Yellow with all original parts but it has had a professional paint refin and has been reaged by a good painter who is also the current owner.  It has had it's original serial number restamped and has had no breaks as far as I know.  None original case and the owner is looking for £3k.  Does that seem reasonable?  I ideally want an affordable junior so a players guitar/ refin is the only way I can hope to own a vintage one. 

Is this a good price do you think?   My mate borrowed it for a few months and it sounded and played very nicely so I almost know I love it.  Just curious about the price?

Any advice would be appreciated 

Thanks 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    I'd say that's a touch high for a refin. A '59 Junior in good original condition will generally go for £4k to £5k. TV models will go for more, of course, but I'd suggest that a non-original TV finish renders this point moot.

It really depends on how much a refin devalues the guitar for you. For me, a refin on a vintage guitar devalues it a lot. You may feel differently, though, especially if you know that the guitar plays well and sounds good.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    edited February 2017
    Is it the one you sent me some photos of a while back? If so, £3k is possibly a bit steep - depends on how good the refin is..
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    saxosim said:
    Hi All,

I have been offered a 1959 double cut Les Paul junior in TV Yellow with all original parts but it has had a professional paint refin and has been reaged by a good painter who is also the current owner.  It has had it's original serial number restamped and has had no breaks as far as I know.  None original case and the owner is looking for £3k.  Does that seem reasonable?  I ideally want an affordable junior so a players guitar/ refin is the only way I can hope to own a vintage one. 

Is this a good price do you think?   My mate borrowed it for a few months and it sounded and played very nicely so I almost know I love it.  Just curious about the price?

Any advice would be appreciated 

Thanks 
    My first question in this instance would be WHY was it refinished? Was it to hide a heel/headstock break? Or something less sinister?

Is the original silkscreen still intact to point out if it is a TV Model or a Junior? As @Brize says the TV Models are worth more even with a refin but if it's a Junior that's been done in TV then i'd say that's priced on the high side. Is it JC's?

Is everything else original? The BIG points for me would be original P90, original pots (if possible) and original bridge. The rest matters less so (to me).

If it's the guitar i'm thinking of, without playing it, i'd be offering £2.5k. If its a stunning sounding/playing guitar, you may feel it's worth a bit more.

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7024
    tFB Trader
    I know from experience that if it used to be a junior (i.e. cherry) then the red stain would bleed through a TV yellow refinish!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks guys that's all useful advice I appreciate it.  Going to leave it.

Bridgehouse thanks that was a 59 special I was looking at, this one has just become available.

Think I would rather have a special too thinking about it so will keep saving I think.  I am starting to learn now not to jump in feet first.

Thanks 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    saxosim said:
    Thanks guys that's all useful advice I appreciate it.  Going to leave it.

Bridgehouse thanks that was a 59 special I was looking at, this one has just become available.

Think I would rather have a special too thinking about it so will keep saving I think.  I am starting to learn now not to jump in feet first.

Thanks 
    Ah yes - the Special you sent me pics of was prolly worth the 3k or so - not sure about a refinned junior tho mate.

Save yer pennies I reckon
  • Thanks mate going to keep saving.   My wife also reminded me we have the house to sort too :(
  • Yes would love that special