Budget Fuzz - PURCHASED

What's Hot
nick_snick_s Frets: 138
edited March 2017 in FX
So, I am in the market so to speak for a fuzz pedal, and am looking at a budget of sub £80.

What pedals have you all used that fit that budget, and give good tone?  Tonally, I'm looking for something akin to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3QmrFsMw1w
- Shine On You Crazy Diamond -
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    edited February 2017
    Some type of green muff/and or fuzz face and a cranked twin.Plus lots of reverb. I can't really make suggestions as to what to buy although north effects or Frederic make reasonably priced clones
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paging @juansolo
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited February 2017
    Paging @juansolo
    Hello sir, may I interest you in a 1976 Jumbo Tonbender / B&M Fuzz Unit clone? A fiver change from your budget delivered.

@menamestom having a jam into a Princeton. Quick and dirty recording with an iphone with a mic plugged into it.

The B&M side is just a little more scooped. A good example of it would be Edwyn Collins' Girl Like You.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641
    edited February 2017

Great pedal.  Mine has been stolen by the other guitarist in our band and he loves it, so i've said order your bloody own.  I'm having it back next week s

I find it a lot more usable than most fuzzes I've had, it doesn't need much tweaking and works well with other pedals.  Also, the footswitch feels so much better than the 3DPDT's, a much softer click and you don't get that feeling 'only 200 clicks left for this pedal'.

Edit:- although it does the nasty fuzz sound, I use mine stacked with a timmy clone (juansolo enchanter) to give more of a Black Crowes type fuzzy blues vibe).  In the clip here about 2:05.  Excuse the playing, it was the first time we'd played the song.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• Heres christian from the black angels talking about his pedals. It's from a couple of years after Passover was released his pedals start about 1.30
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Rat.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    Kyle from The Black Angels bought two Green Russian muffs from me and a Unpleasant Companion FY-2 -alike. The buzzy intro to this song sounds more like an FY-2 type fuzz.
  • nick_snick_s Frets: 138
    Thanks gents :)

@juansolo - you know how curiosity killed the cat?  Well, it may kill my planned budget :D  I liked the tone of that pedal, one thing lead to another and boom, I found your page with yet more fuzz.  I find myself drawn to the 71 Triangle.  Then I spotted some kick ass images on some of your pedals...you can see where this is going :D  We need to talk moolah, lead times etc my friend :)
    Order placed with juansolo for the 71 :)  It's a nice little promotion present to myself :D  I'll be sure to give it a thorough work out when it arrives!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Sounds like a Fuzzrite
    Well gents, I've only had a quick half an hour with the Triangle 71 from @juansolo but suffice to say it is great!

Initial test last night, I ran with: Graham Coxon Tele > Triangle 71 > TC HOF (set for a light spring reverb) > Blackstar S1 45 (bright clean, gain 12 o'clock, volume 12 o'clock, bass 12 o'clock treble and mids 2 o'clock).

There is a huge amount of fuzz on offer in the pedal, even with the fuzz down low and the volume up, you get a touch of very light fuzz, right round to full on fuzz with the fuzz maxed.  I like the tones on offer from the tone pot on the pedal, a wide sweep is available.  Mids is a very useful knob, even on low it is chock full, fattening up as you increase the level.

I've got some time booked in the rehearsal studio next week, I'll be giving it some proper welly then, hopefully I'll get a better idea of how it sounds LOUD!

John, it's a great pedal my friend so far, I may just have to hit you up for some more pedals in the not too distant future :)
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Cheers dude, glad you like it.
    Got a chance to use it in anger last night, and what a fantastic tone it gives.  We tried out a new rehearsal room and I made the fatal mistake of not bringing my amp (should have done but dodgy back = not wanting to hump around a 2x12) so ended up using one of theirs, a hideous Line 6 Spider 3 head/cab.  

For dirt tones, the 71 Triangle gave beautiful fuzzy goodness.  I dragged out my Tele and my 60th Anni Strat, and it loves both.  Proper fat tones, it even managed to tame the ice pick tendencies of the Strat bridge pup (69/72 set).

Can't wait to bring out the Blackstar and run it through that at volume, it will sound stellar.