Are these guitars good for a beginner?

What's Hot

Comments

• You're right rlw. I was thinking about going to check those shops and they seem good and with a big selection of guitars. I'll probably check Wunjo first as it's nearer for me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    BambiCats said:
    Thank you for the advice Maynehead. I have I looked at it and looks really good. Although it's a bit more expensive than I would like, I prefer spending a bit more to get a good guitar than getting a really bad one for cheap. 
    You really cannot go wrong with a Yamaha Pacifica..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 611

Agree with Moss...if it is comfortable, sounds good in your ears & you visually like it then that is all you need to worry about

Yami pacifica is a good shout....altho I've never held one but they have good reputation as does any Yami instrument

There is a fender squire near you on gumtree that looks decent at £70...anyone familiar with the quality of these or are they just cheap shite...that Cort the guy has looks cute too...never seen a Cort but know people who rate them highly  

https://www.gumtree.com/sellerads/1218860791?page=1

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11743
    Both Squier and Epiphone make superb guitars for the money starting at around £120.  You can get superb practise amps for about £100.

As others have said go to a reputable dealer and give some a try, a good store will give you great advice and not try to unnecessarily upsell you.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Yeah the Yamaha Pacifica seems good however the ones that I have seen have basswood or agathis body which are woods I have not heard good things about

Thank you for the advice Moss. It's not that I that I worry too much about wood but I have read that basswood is really soft and chips easily and I don't want a guitar that gets ruined straight away
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27989
    BambiCats said:

I've got a another question. I seen that people consider basswood a really bad wood for guitar so if I find a guitar that I like a feel comfortable with would you recommend to get it even if it's basswood? Or should I look for something else? Thank you in advance!
    Nowt wrong with basswood; it's used in some low cost guitars and some very expensive ones.

If you like the guitar then don't worry too much about such details; get on with playing. Also consider lessons; with a good teacher you'll progress faster and have more fun.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    At this price point basswood will make no difference. You need it to be straight, intonate, be well fretted and have hardware that does its job.

Far more important than body wood.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    BambiCats said:
    Thank you for the reply bazxkr. Like I said I'll have a look at some shops this weekend and try different guitars, so I'm sure I'll find something I like and I feel comfortable with.

I've got a another question. I seen that people consider basswood a really bad wood for guitar so if I find a guitar that I like a feel comfortable with would you recommend to get it even if it's basswood? Or should I look for something else? Thank you in advance!

Also thank you very much for your advice with the tremolo
    Again all down to preference...I have several guitars that have basswood body...it is a light wood and soft so can damage easy but it is also cheaper than most woods...sonically I can't tell the difference between different bodies anyway...my ears were shot to pcs by Marshall Major amps thundering out in the 1970s...but apparently every kind of wood and neck wood will slightly alter the tone. But don't be put off a guitar because it is basswood. You are at the budget end of the game TBH so you will have a limited option on decent guitars....many6 at the bottom ends will be dogs

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    edited February 2017
    You can get some very expensive "tone wood" guitars that feel "dead", and cheaper basswood bodied ones that absolutely sing.

How it sounds and plays to YOU is more important than how posh the wood is to SOMEONE ELSE...   
  • Thanks everyone, I'll stop getting put off by basswood guitar and I know that at my budget basswood will prevail, although I have seen some cheap guitars with mahogany or ash bodies. I definitely go have a look at some shops so I can try some guitars and see whichever ones feel the best for me. The Yamaha looks good so I'll look more into that one as well.

I'll also get a guitar teacher as I want to learn more quickly
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    All you need is a telecaster my friend. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunk said:
    Lol I have seen telecasters but strats look better for me ;)
    edited February 2017

BambiCats said:
    Thanks everyone, I'll stop getting put off by basswood guitar and I know that at my budget basswood will prevail, although I have seen some cheap guitars with mahogany or ash bodies. I definitely go have a look at some shops so I can try some guitars and see whichever ones feel the best for me. The Yamaha looks good so I'll look more into that one as well.

If you have a teacher in mind he/she will have good recommendations & may even go with you to get one. He/she may even have something available to buy or know students moving stuff on

See how PC I was there guys with the teacher sexing haha

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    BambiCats said:
    Thanks everyone, I'll stop getting put off by basswood guitar and I know that at my budget basswood will prevail, although I have seen some cheap guitars with mahogany or ash bodies. I definitely go have a look at some shops so I can try some guitars and see whichever ones feel the best for me. The Yamaha looks good so I'll look more into that one as well.

As others have said, basswood is used for high end guitars too.

However, I though Pacificas (112 series at least) had Alder bodies?
  • Maynehead said:
    BambiCats said:

As others have said, basswood is used for high end guitars too.

However, I though Pacificas (112 series at least) had Alder bodies?
    I have looked at the cheaper ones which is why they may have had basswood bodies
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    BambiCats said:
    blueskunk said:
    Lol I have seen telecasters but strats look better for me ;)
    Yep, strats too :) excellent choice. Good luck on the hunt. 
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    BambiCats said:
    I'm in South London, Lambeth.
    Unfortunately I don't know anyone that could go with me.

I would like to start on a stratocaster as I like the look more. However I'm not sure yet which combination of pick ups I should get. I want to mainly play metal and rock and many people say that humbuckers are good for metal, however I still would like to try to play on single coils. I have seen combinations of 1 humbucker 2 single coils or 2 humbuckers 1 single coil and I don't know what to get. Or maybe I should just stick with two humbuckers but I feel like with 3 pickups I have more versatility and I look more for the sound I want (even though I could do that by getting more guitars in the future which I definitely will)
    Of course, Iron Maiden manage quite well with a strat, of course :)
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    Yamaha Pacifica 120H. Strat-like shape but with a pair of humbuckers rather than single coils. However, there is a coil-tap control so you can use the pickups as single coils or humbuckers.

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/el_guitars/pacifica/pac_100.html
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    We've got a great shop here in Bedford called The Music Centre.

I've got an American Pro Strat and a Deville and i'm in Bedford, in between the train station and the shop.
    I'm retired and free most of the time so if you happen to find yourself at Bedford train station, i can take you to meet Ross and you can talk to him if you want one brand new. He's a Fender dealer up to USA models so he's got a very good range of guitars to look at and he's a great bloke i've known for around 10 years. I've bought most of my guitars from him in those years and highly recommend him. Bruce is the owner if you speak to him, he's a gentleman and also highly experienced, still working as a roadie for some big bands and probably loads of other stuff he hasn't mentioned.

They stay *very* close to online prices and they've managed to stay very successfully in business for a long time in this town so they must be doing something right.

Anytime if you go that way, good luck.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    You really can't go wrong with a Pacifica, bloody awesome guitars. At any one point there will be hundreds on gumtree from £50. 

Spend the rest of your budget on a good amp (I cannot recommend the Yamaha THR10 series enough - don't be afraid to buy used) and a setup and you'll be rocking.