Pedal board cable clutter

What's Hot
my ocd mentality can't cope with the cables running between amp and pedal board.  In front, fx loop, channel switch and power.  It's only a 4/5 pedal board. 

Pedalsnake http://www.pedalsnake.com/ looks cool but is expensive and there isn't much chatter about it which makes me suspicious.  

What to do?
a) buy pedal snake approx £130 - job done
b) speak to my cognitive behaviour therapist
c) buy some Velcro / sellotape / mesh thing / cable tie / solution I haven't thought and just strap it all together. 

Cheers 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28128
    If you have £130 pf disposable income, (a).

Get it done and move on.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I used to use a Pedalsnake and a fine solution it was. The only downside, apart from the cost, was all the din plugs ended up being quite bulky and tricky to conceal out of sight (which your OCD might struggle to come to terms with).
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    The only experience I have with a Pedalsnake is someone asking me to repair his because several of the connectors had broken. OK, he was a typical guitarist whose idea of taking care of his cables was to shove the whole lot in a sports bag at the end of one gig and drag the resulting tangled mess out at the next one, but it just didn't seem well enough made to survive even gentler handling for very long. I wouldn't recommend one.

The *best* solution is a patch box on the pedalboard and a similar one (with captive cables if easier) at the amp end, connected by something like a 7-pin XLR cable. but the disadvantages are that it's expensive to build (probably more than a Pedalsnake), and you must have a spare cable as well, unless you carry enough normal cables to do an emergency bypass of it if the fancy cable gets damaged.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    The only experience I have with a Pedalsnake is someone asking me to repair his because several of the connectors had broken. OK, he was a typical guitarist whose idea of taking care of his cables was to shove the whole lot in a sports bag at the end of one gig and drag the resulting tangled mess out at the next one, but it just didn't seem well enough made to survive even gentler handling for very long. I wouldn't recommend one.

The *best* solution is a patch box on the pedalboard and a similar one (with captive cables if easier) at the amp end, connected by something like a 7-pin XLR cable. but the disadvantages are that it's expensive to build (probably more than a Pedalsnake), and you must have a spare cable as well, unless you carry enough normal cables to do an emergency bypass of it if the fancy cable gets damaged.
    Oooh, love that idea!!! Got me gassing for that now!!!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922