How is this even possible ... ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Is it really that surprising that decades old analogue circuits can be built in small enclosures on the cheap? 

These little Chinese pedals are great in my experience. My only real doubt with them is over the quality of the switches but then again I also say that about TC Electronic so... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    Despite joking about the switches, the most common problems with all these mini-pedals seem to be with the toggle switch and the pots - neither are properly chassis-mounted, and if you're unlucky with your foot position on such a tiny pedal, it's very easy to break them. It's always close to uneconomical to repair them too, given the new price.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    I'd also be interested to know how they've got the BBD and clock in there if it's a true CE2 clone... and where they're getting them from, and how they're managing to sell it for £20 if they're in there (highly unlikely).
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    juansolo said:
    I'd also be interested to know how they've got the BBD and clock in there if it's a true CE2 clone... and where they're getting them from, and how they're managing to sell it for £20 if they're in there (highly unlikely).
    I was skeptical until I opened it up ... but there are a full sized BBD and Clock in there. OK not the original 3007 and 3101 but rather a MN3207 and a new Coolaudio V3102, they sound like they're doing exactly the same job to me :)

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VJIves said:
    There's a boost, a trem, a looper, an OD, a distortion...could have an entire tiny pedalboard. 
    I quite fancy the tremolo, assuming it doesn't fall apart I could replace my existing one with it, sell that and pocket about £50 difference! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    juansolo said:
    I was skeptical until I opened it up ... but there are a full sized BBD and Clock in there. OK not the original 3007 and 3101 but rather a MN3207 and a new Coolaudio V3102, they sound like they're doing exactly the same job to me :)

That is genuinely impressive then. I can't understand how they can actually make any money from that...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    edited February 2017
    I've got the donner copy of a suhr riot in a drawer somewhere - it does sound pretty close, pretty suhr I spent about £15 on it or thereabouts.   They are very good value and I should get a chorus, delay and boost to match at some point.  
    It really is an amazing time for buying gear.   
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    I like that the PCB even says 'ensemble' on it
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    edited February 2017 tFB Trader
    VJIves said:
    I like that the PCB even says 'ensemble' on it
    Yeah, the slightly larger version of this in a 1590a enclosure uses the exact same PCB and parts as the Mooer Ensemble King ... literally the same PCB it's even silkscreened as an Ensemble King ... interesting reading here:  http://www.angst.org.uk/?p=184
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12886
    I picked up one of these last week (although mine is branded ammoon). 

I rather like the sound but being a bit of a loser I'd rather have something in Boss format - prefer the switching and just generally feel rather robust. 

Thing is- the ce-2 doesn't have a level control. So that narrows it down to the CE5 and the CH1, I think. Opinions on these two? If anyone has compared the boss versions to these mini things too that would be great. 
  • I can't speak highly enough of the Mooer, it sounds ace and is a fantastic clone, but I'm really taken with my CE-2, it's a beautiful sound. I'm sure you could get one cheap if you settle for a non-Japanese model.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12886
    The ce-2 is lovely but I'm convinced I need a level control. 

I just "accidentally" bought a ce-5 so will try that first I guess. 
  • @UnclePsychosis I was too, I've been OCD about that level control for months now, trying to find the perfect chorus...but I've recently just thought "stuff it" (but more harshly than that) and tried the CE-2 on it's own without any mixing of the dry signal with external hardware and it sounds best without trying to mix at all. With dirt, it sounds incredible. I also run it in front of the amp (after dirt boxes) now, where as I used to run it in the FX loop, sounds much better, to my ears.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922