Empty board soon to be Helix-ed

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
I've had a productive week. As well as buying a Martin I've sold half my pedals. I've lost the timefactor (again..), whammy, meteore, univibe AND polytune, with a couple of homemade fuzzes and a modded DS1 still on the block. Plus I now have a redundant PP2+ and Pedaltrain Jr.

To replace all that will be a Helix, at which point we'll we'll see how I get on with the onboard drives and start shifting some of those too...

I guess my only question is whether to buy a new board to put the helix on with a drive or 2, or just leave it for now until I know what I want to run alongside it. 

What does everyone else do?

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'd wait and see. My preference if using a digital pre is to use it for everything, then you get total recall and the smallest footprint. But there are loops for adding things so you can still integrate pedals too if you want
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Oh dear, we lose another one. I mean enjoy the Helix.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    Even though it's got the loops, I get the impression that most Helix users use the onboard drives.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    ^ I do, you would have to be particularly attached to a specific sound to bother as the on board ones are really good and cover a lot of ground
  • That's what I thought. I will keep a handful whether I use them with the helix or not (Rats,  liquid sunshine and Hotcake) but I can imagine I'll use the onboard for the most part. Might make a mini board with just those I don't use.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    https://flic.kr/p/SpKx9f
    Here is my board on a temple duo 24
    its pretty light and useful
    to be honest I could replace the Elektron with a Tumnus or live without it entirely 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    edited February 2017
    Mobile won't let me add a picture.

I use a home made board and lots of pedals in the loops.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    I'd wait and see. My preference if using a digital pre is to use it for everything, then you get total recall and the smallest footprint. But there are loops for adding things so you can still integrate pedals too if you want
    This. Why go for a multi FX, and then start adding outboard pedals? It might take a bit of effort to configure it, but you should be able to get most drive pedal sound.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Roland said:
    I'd wait and see. My preference if using a digital pre is to use it for everything, then you get total recall and the smallest footprint. But there are loops for adding things so you can still integrate pedals too if you want
    This. Why go for a multi FX, and then start adding outboard pedals? It might take a bit of effort to configure it, but you should be able to get most drive pedal sound.
    I have a Helix. I keep looking at pedals and going 'oooooh!'

Then I remember I have a Helix, and think 'er, why bother.. I'll try and recreate the sound there first..'
  • It's purely because I already have several drives that I love and have had for years and don't ever intend to sell. Entirely possible I'll find that the Helix does all I actually need between its Rat, OCD and Klon models.
    It's purely because I already have several drives that I love and have had for years and don't ever intend to sell. Entirely possible I'll find that the Helix does all I actually need between its Rat, OCD and Klon models.
    What about a flight case for the Helix, and then a small 'child' board for the drives that you can power separately and keep in a separate bag? Helix when you know it's all you'll need, and extra board if you think you'll need it?
  • It's purely because I already have several drives that I love and have had for years and don't ever intend to sell. Entirely possible I'll find that the Helix does all I actually need between its Rat, OCD and Klon models.
    What about a flight case for the Helix, and then a small 'child' board for the drives that you can power separately and keep in a separate bag? Helix when you know it's all you'll need, and extra board if you think you'll need it?
    Nah, sod that - that would also be even more faff to setup with loops and stuff every time I wanted to use it. I'm not even gigging atm! I'll go no-board for a while and see how often I actually plug stuff into loops and take it from there. 
    It's purely because I already have several drives that I love and have had for years and don't ever intend to sell. Entirely possible I'll find that the Helix does all I actually need between its Rat, OCD and Klon models.
    Nah, sod that - that would also be even more faff to setup with loops and stuff every time I wanted to use it. I'm not even gigging atm! I'll go no-board for a while and see how often I actually plug stuff into loops and take it from there. 
    Personally, I think that's the right answer...