Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Cobra Beer...I feel cheated!

What's Hot

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13933
    edited February 2017
    Would you complain if they'd increased the price and kept the bottles the same size?
    Yes, I complain at everything, all the time, it's obligatory as I am 50 in just over a week.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16630
    HAL9000 said:
    Get Kingfisher beer instead. Much better.
    Preference is a wonderful thing.   

Cobra has won more awards.  I drank a lot of kingfisher when I was in India though. I don't think it's better or worse.  

But i don't normally go for lagers, which was highlighted as a weakness for me when it comes to judging beer.  We drank a lot of bud as a reference beer, which is not my idea of fun.  I was basically told to get over myself... I may well think it tastes like piss, but it is apparently the perfect example of its style.  I would much rather have Cobra or kingfisher over that.  King Cobra is lots of fun too, although I was disappointed when it dropped from 9 to 7.5%

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72211
    WezV said:

We drank a lot of bud as a reference beer, which is not my idea of fun.  I was basically told to get over myself... I may well think it tastes like piss, but it is apparently the perfect example of its style.
    "Bud" isn't even a proper beer, it's made using rice. And you're right.

Unless you mean Budweiser Budvar, from who they stole the name - that very much is a proper lager.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited February 2017
    ICBM said:
    WezV said:

We drank a lot of bud as a reference beer, which is not my idea of fun.  I was basically told to get over myself... I may well think it tastes like piss, but it is apparently the perfect example of its style.

Unless you mean Budweiser Budvar, from who they stole the name - that very much is a proper lager.
    i currently do a training session twice a week making sure every one in our office knows the difference between the two.  ( as well as other brands which can cause confusion) It can make a big difference to service responsibilities if the wrong one goes on our records  

Rice is fine unless you are into German purity laws, in the strictest sense those don't allow yeast either.

Cobra also has rice in it, so does Asahi, fairly sure kingfisher will have too.   Asahi really is an amazing lager, quite complex and the rice keeps it light without hiding flavour or losing too much alcohol.   Rice a a common adjunct in many lagers, as is a little wheat for better head retention. 
  • 57Deluxe said:
    This is now across-the board practice is officially termed Shrinkflation
    I get a bit of this when it's really cold.  Or at least I like to blame the cold.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    I've never found any UK brewed lager/pilsner to be that good.  Cobra is brewed in Burton by Molson Coors - the same company responsible for Carling.

You have to look at the imported stuff for decent beer.... Keo is number one by a long shot.  Pilsner Urquell is second and Tsing Tao is third.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2017
    RobDavies said:
    I've never found any UK brewed lager/pilsner to be that good.  Cobra is brewed in Burton by Molson Coors - the same company responsible for Carling
    Yeah, we brew it it partnership with Cobra.  its not a secret

we brew other premium lagers too.  Don't make the daft mistake of assuming they get brewed to the same recipe or price point as Carling. 

Like my point about Bud earlier, Carling is a good example of a certain style.  Whether you like it or not it sells well.  We have a lot more actual pilsner styles in our portfolio, both brewed by us, some just supplied, some brewed in other parts of our worldwide brewery network.  

I used to be snobbish about beer, these days i realise every type has its place whether i like it or not.   A bit like bakeries - somebody needs to make the sliced white.  It may not be as fancy as your artisanal loaf, but which one would you chose for a fish finger sandwich?  Urquell is a great example.  lovely beer, but heavier than the type of lager most UK drinkers want.

Personally, tonight i am drinking a chipotle infused smoked beer brewed and bottled by me a few weeks ago. 

edit:  I had a day at work recently drinking beer.  it was blind tasting and identifying things like style, country of origin, ABV etc.  not everyone who works here gets to do it.  It helped challenge a lot of my preconceptions.

I was happy that I managed to name 5.  4, 5, 7,10,11 in the row below... but that wasn't actually what they were after.  I did terribly on the first 3

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3435
    Considering Cobra is a chav drink just one step away from Stella wife beater , fill the empty bottles up with your own piss then wait till the middle of the night and go smash them all over tescos front doors, That'll learn them!
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • WezV said:
    ICBM said:
    WezV said:

i currently do a training session twice a week making sure every one in our office knows the difference between the two.  ( as well as other brands which can cause confusion) It can make a big difference to service responsibilities if the wrong one goes on our records  

Rice is fine unless you are into German purity laws, in the strictest sense those don't allow yeast either.

Cobra also has rice in it, so does Asahi, fairly sure kingfisher will have too.   Asahi really is an amazing lager, quite complex and the rice keeps it light without hiding flavour or losing too much alcohol.   Rice a a common adjunct in many lagers, as is a little wheat for better head retention. 
    You sound a hoot!
  • robgilmo said:
    Considering Cobra is a chav drink just one step away from Stella wife beater , fill the empty bottles up with your own piss then wait till the middle of the night and go smash them all over tescos front doors, That'll learn them!
    Why not find out where its made first, most probably got fuck all to do with tescos.
  • robgilmo said:
    Is Chav still a thing post Brexit amd Trump? 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    funkyfraz said:
    WezV said:
    ICBM said:
    WezV said:

You sound a hoot!
    Apologies for bringing actual knowledge to the thread.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3435
    edited February 2017
    robgilmo said:
    Why not find out where its made first, most probably got fuck all to do with tescos.
    Burton upon Trent? Damn them!
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • I refuse to drink anything that claims to be something it's not. As far as I'm concerned anything brewed under license is the beer equivalent of a Chibson.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I refuse to drink anything that claims to be something it's not. As far as I'm concerned anything brewed under license is the beer equivalent of a Chibson.
    Cobra isn't brewed under license, it's brewed by the brand owner.  Not like say Non import Grolsch which we also brew.  

its an Indian beer in the same way your takeaway is Indian food..... or do you insist that is imported too?

Importing of a product that's 95% water is a totally different subject I could bore you with.  The decision to do it or not doesn't always come down to cost

• WezV said:
    I refuse to drink anything that claims to be something it's not. As far as I'm concerned anything brewed under license is the beer equivalent of a Chibson.
    Cobra isn't brewed under license, it's brewed by the brand owner.  Not like say Non import Grolsch which we also brew.  

its an Indian beer in the same way your takeaway is Indian food..... or do you insist that is imported too?

Importing of a product that's 95% water is a totally different subject I could bore you with.  The decision to do it or not doesn't always come down to cost

I wasn't specifically talking about Cobra, I was under the impression that was always a UK beer.

But there's a list a mile long of beers that used to be drinkable but now taste shit - Rolling rock, Kronenbourg, Grolsch, Amstel, Tiger etc etc. As beer makes a big thing of its locale as part of its USP, attempting to keep that while saying its actually brewed somewhere completely different is a bit rich.
    They should always tell you where they are brewed on the label.

Some brewers have been in trouble recently for not being totally honest... a lawsuit in the US caused some hasty rebrand decisions across the board
  • I've come to the conclusion that a lot of beers are not aimed at me (also applies to Apple products, PRS etc.) but they serve a purpose. I'm a bit of an import snob with lagers generally but some UK stuff is still good. I think it was a good branding decision for the big boys to bin their own brands (Skol, McEwans lager Harp etc.) for the mystique of the holiday romance beers. I do very much miss Tennents Extra though :)

Carling won't win any prizes but it is the equivalent of @wezv s white sliced loaf. As I've said before since they chilled it down a bit more it's improved no end. My drummist loves it more than any other beer too :astonished: 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    Would you complain if they'd increased the price and kept the bottles the same size?
    Yes, I complain at everything, all the time, it's obligatory as I am 50 in just over a week.

Yes - This is common not cos we get older but because we see things in greater clarity from a long standpoint and not through the narrow and limited lens of blind(!) optimistic youth... We've seen trickery before and are wise to it and aghast that still corporations and politicians get away with it time and again to our continual and compound detriment!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>