Could you survive with one guitar...

What's Hot

Comments

• valevale Frets: 1052
    yes, easily. one solid electric with a fuzz box. i knd of already do anyway. i could go the rest of my life with it if i had to and i wouldn't feel dramatically restricted.
    my bass is just a lower version of the first four strings on my guitar, so effectively a double. & my other guitar is a project plaything to experiment with changing pickups and things so my main is never out of action. easy.
    i think everyone could & maybe everyone should try for a year. they might learn something about themselves & what they are trying to do.
    i strongly suspect thoughts that you couldn't survive with one are just confusing need with want.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    It'd be a bit like asking which of my limbs I could live the easiest without.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Easily, My American Pro Strat.......

http://i.imgur.com/12jSvSz.jpg?1
  • JadedJaded Frets: 127
    If it was one electric and one acoustic then I think I could do it pretty easily. Either my Jazzmaster or if it doesn't have to be one I currently own then a Strat and I'd be pretty set. 

If it's just one guitar total then I'd probably just go with my Martin. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Until recently, I only had one electric and that was a HSS customised Strat. For me, it covered all bases. However, apart from the slight misery of not owning more pieces and something top end, I didn't like not having a backup.

Probably a HSH guitar with a coil-tap and good trem system might possibly up it on my one and add-in a piezo system. That get's close to an ultimate guitar for me and would serve my needs.

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12312
    What do you mean could you survive with only one? some of us do!

A Telecaster is the correct answer and is my only guitar. (Apart from an Esquire build thats on the go)
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • I could easily survive with no guitars. But where would the fun be in that. 

Apart from sentimental reasons I could easily go to 2 or 3, but 1 would be tough. It's nice having a Fender type and a Gibson type.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I have just one, my PRS Mira X, it doesn't do all the sounds in the world but it does a few really well. It's light, comfortable and enjoyable to play. I've trained myself to only own one guitar at a time, I don't need multiple and I don't need versatility.
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    If I wasn't gigging, yes. But I am, so no.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I think if necessary I could get by with my main modded Squier JM Jazzmaster. If I really had to.

But I have never had just one guitar since about 1982. It would be very difficult!
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    edited February 2017
    My HSS Strat with S-1 switching.
    It's not a competition.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    I only have one guitar, my Lowden O22C, that I'm actually trying to sell at the moment. 

Once I sell it, I'll buy an electric, probably a Strat, although I'm not totally sure what type of Strat yet.

I've almost always been a 1 guitar at a time person. I owned a CS Strat and an R8 at the same time for a while to cover both bases. I didn't really need to though so I sold the R8 to fund an amp purchase.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• I don't think I could. When I think of the recordings I've done, I don't use different guitars just because I can, I use them because they bring a distinctive tonal quality to the proceedings.

My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • If I was forced to choose just one, it would be a toss-up between two ;)

Either my LP double cut junior, wired up 50s style.  You can pretty much get any electric sound from crystal clean to crunchy overdriven to jazzy smooth just with different twists of the single volume knob and single tone knob through the single P90.

The other option is the complete opposite end of the scale - my HUGELY modded and ridiculously 
    bling Indie Les Paul.  It can do pretty much anything from humbucker to split to acoustic emulated piezo or any mix of the lot.  Bloody heavy, though...

• I could narrow it down to my Takamine dreadnought (gigging guitar) and one electric.

Assuming a clean slate (no sentimental guitars) I would pick a high-end Ibanez RG or S and probably tinker with the wiring a bit. :) They are great for everything except Strat-Neck-Pickup-Blues and there's enough of that in the world already.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    I think I'd be ok with a Prs cu22 with a hardtail. Wouldn't want a tremolo to fuss with if I've only got the one guitar. 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    Yeah I could but not sure I'd want to. 
    Ill always keep my first guitar as its very sentimental to me but it's not playable as it seriously needs a refret. 

so apart from the one mentioned above I only have two electrics, both PRS S2's. Ones a standard 24 in satin the other is a Vela. 
    I wouldn't be upset if I had to choose either of them. In fact my wife asked me if I was feeling ok just yesterday as I haven't mentioned, bought or sold a guitar since September. So I must be happy with them.  
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    edited February 2017
    No I don't think I could do it, I have 14 set out in racks at the side of the PC & I enjoy playing each & everyone in rotation on a regular basis whether it be a 12 string,bass, strat,tele, LP.

Although having said that there has been a few occasions where I've said to myself why do I need all these!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    edited February 2017
    Yeah I'm kind of down to the one electric guitar - I do have my old strat copy as well as my SG but it never gets used. Could easily get rid of it but there's no need or benefit to doing so - it's worth so little that selling is pointless and I suppose it will make a usable backup when I'm gigging again. Suppose if I was feeling charitable I could donate it somewhere?

I get all the tones I need out of the sg now I've got the pickups sorted. 

Acoustic hardly ever gets played and my bass is only used for recording which I do very little of at the minute.