THE GUITAR SHOW - comments time

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14180
in Guitar tFB Trader
So, many FB members made it to the show in Brum - I'm sure Jason won't mind me asking this, but what comments do you have that we might me able to use for next year - Good or bad comments from this years show - any ideas for next year - As an overview let's not discuss the noise - I'm sure we'd all like to have less noise and I'm sure Jason will have comments etc
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Was there a floor plan with who was where? 

If there wasn't, I'd like this. If there was then could you hand them out when you pay or hand your ticket in? I'd even pay a quid to have one so I could plan my walk round a bit better...
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27431
    Can we have 2 shows next year?

@jason - that's a reasonably serious suggestion.  If you can't take the show to a bigger hall to be able to fit everyone in, perhaps do 2 shows in the same place?

And a "learn to park" course for the numpty who left the hire van blocking everyone in in the car park.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14180
    tFB Trader

If there wasn't, I'd like this. If there was then could you hand them out when you pay or hand your ticket in? I'd even pay a quid to have one so I could plan my walk round a bit better...
    did you not see Black Adder - 2nd series and the plan to sale around the world - The worlds finest cartographers got together and gave him a map - blank page 

did you not see Black Adder - 2nd series and the plan to sale around the world - The worlds finest cartographers got together and gave him a map - blank page 
    Heh, I know what you are saying - but quite seriously, every major exhibition I go to (big IT jobs in excel, Earl's Court, NEC) includes a handout with floor plan and list of exhibitors - really helps to plan a logical trip.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14180
    tFB Trader

Heh, I know what you are saying - but quite seriously, every major exhibition I go to (big IT jobs in excel, Earl's Court, NEC) includes a handout with floor plan and list of exhibitors - really helps to plan a logical trip.
    valid point - I did here the acoustic floor was spasmodic with regards to footflow - At least twice, I had a customer, who was buying acoustic guitar strings, pass comment that they had barely seen any acoustic guitars on display this year - I asked him 'have you not been upstairs yet to the dedicated acoustic hall' - Reply was that they did not know it was there
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    It was just too busy, saw a lovely Williams gold top I would have loved to try, but it just wasn't practical 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • One issue this year was parking, something to consider as the show seems to be growing in popularity. Seeing more small, quality guitar makers was nice. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    I had fun! 

Plan of the hall would be fantastic and I think a must, there were a few times as it got busier that I got frustrated at not being able to find the stalls I was looking for. 
    Also the ticketing system is very antiquated. It was very lucky that I bought cash with me at the door as there didn't seem to be a way of paying by card (or not one that was obvious). This is 2017 - I went to a much smaller show recently that had tickets available on my phone's wallet app and scanned barcodes....
    i didn't enjoy being shepherded upstairs and made to walk around the acoustic section at 9:55am - if you've let me in the hall, then you're ready for me, it just came across a bit amateurish, rather than a well oiled machine. 
    I would also hope that the show could expand a little, even if there are not more exhibitors, just so there's more room around some of the stalls. Looking at the way it is, if it gets any more popular, there is no way New Bingley hall will sustain the numbers, both in parking and around the exhibition. 

on the plus side the interactions I had with everyone were good and the curry was banging! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Shows that reach a big audience will always be really busy.

At some shows I go to companies have a 'book a slot to chat/consult' which works really well - you get a 5 or 10 minute slot to get some dedicated time guaranteed. Really helps with people flow as well and makes things less cluttered at certain stands. 

If you were looking to expand, I'd look at a multi-hall option - Bass room, Acoustic Room, prolly even an Amps room. This also helps with footfall and flow around. 
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited February 2017
    Needs a bigger venue now.  Saturday was a nightmare for parking and i arrived for bang on 10am

Never seen it so busy which is great but looks now to have outgrown the venue
  • Was there a floor plan with who was where? 

valid point - I did here the acoustic floor was spasmodic with regards to footflow - At least twice, I had a customer, who was buying acoustic guitar strings, pass comment that they had barely seen any acoustic guitars on display this year - I asked him 'have you not been upstairs yet to the dedicated acoustic hall' - Reply was that they did not know it was there
    I didn't know there was an acoustic hall upstairs until I got home and read it on here

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Needs a bigger venue now.  Saturday was a nightmare for parking and i arrived for bang on 10am

Never seen it so busy which is great but looks now to have outgrown the venue
    Yep. Go multi hall and aim for a mini-NAMM. You have the footfall to attract some more manufacturers and you could get them to do a UK airing of their NAMM releases.. 

I would even be tempted to do a Friday as well and make it Trade Only - charge them for it and it would be a good industry meet up as well.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 4string4string Frets: 33
    tFB Trader
    Went today for the first time in three years and the show has grown significantly. Surprised how loud it was on the floor, but loved the 'quiet' periods. The air horn was inspired. Bit tight down some of the aisles at peak times (12 to 1ish) and as others commented, banging curry. It would be a pity to move venues, but I can understand the temptation if you are that busy.
    Chief Bottle Washer @ Oil City Pickups.
    4string said:
    Went today for the first time in three years and the show has grown significantly. Surprised how loud it was on the floor, but loved the 'quiet' periods. The air horn was inspired. Bit tight down some of the aisles at peak times (12 to 1ish) and as others commented, banging curry. It would be a pity to move venues, but I can understand the temptation if you are that busy.
    I don't think NBH has the space for the show now - it's outgrown it. More bass was a great thing, but it would be really cool to get amps, guitars (manufacturers), retailers, accessories etc. into their own areas.

At the motorbike shows (like the one in the NEC) there's the manufacturers on their big fancy stands, and then an area where companies show of their latest leathers and helmets, and then a marketplace area to pick up the bargains.. it means the footfall is easier to deal with - the marketplace is always busy, but you're not jostling around to have a chat with that small boutique maker you'd like to commission a build from because there's a bunch of people trying to get to a bargain on the PMT stand.. 
  • Adamski said:
    I had fun! 

Plan of the hall would be fantastic and I think a must, there were a few times as it got busier that I got frustrated at not being able to find the stalls I was looking for. 
    Also the ticketing system is very antiquated. It was very lucky that I bought cash with me at the door as there didn't seem to be a way of paying by card (or not one that was obvious). This is 2017 - I went to a much smaller show recently that had tickets available on my phone's wallet app and scanned barcodes....
    i didn't enjoy being shepherded upstairs and made to walk around the acoustic section at 9:55am - if you've let me in the hall, then you're ready for me, it just came across a bit amateurish, rather than a well oiled machine. 
    I would also hope that the show could expand a little, even if there are not more exhibitors, just so there's more room around some of the stalls. Looking at the way it is, if it gets any more popular, there is no way New Bingley hall will sustain the numbers, both in parking and around the exhibition. 

on the plus side the interactions I had with everyone were good and the curry was banging! 
    I paid by card, wasn't a problem.

The live room continues to be an issue ( although I appreciate it nearly always is at these things). Upstairs was too small, the new marquee version has too much sound leaking into it from the main hall. No obvious answer if you continue at the same venue ( which otherwise I like and free parking either in front of the hall or on street is no mean feat - I know it isn't perfect but all things considered it's good) but ideally it would be better. 

It is stonkingly busy and cramped at peak times but almost empty at others so I suspect on average the figures don't make sense to move it somewhere that's bigger and more expensive. I guess that's between Jason and his accountant. 

Oh, the quiet times continue to be a good idea. 

Oh (again) as they don't do posh coffee and are about the only place in Britain that don't maybe a coffee waggon out the front from 9:30am for the early arrivers and the people on the stalls? It would also reduce the queue at the catering which was stupidly long at peak times.  Very little else around there (I doubt if many people found the community cafe up the road) so I think that would be a service and a money spinner. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 4string said:
    I don't think NBH has the space for the show now - it's outgrown it. More bass was a great thing, but it would be really cool to get amps, guitars (manufacturers), retailers, accessories etc. into their own areas.

At the motorbike shows (like the one in the NEC) there's the manufacturers on their big fancy stands, and then an area where companies show of their latest leathers and helmets, and then a marketplace area to pick up the bargains.. it means the footfall is easier to deal with - the marketplace is always busy, but you're not jostling around to have a chat with that small boutique maker you'd like to commission a build from because there's a bunch of people trying to get to a bargain on the PMT stand.. 
    the history of the show was that it came from the ashes of music live. Exhibitors wouldn't pay NEC prices anymore and parking was £10 per day.
    I also went to the Camping and Caravan show at the NEC this week , five halls , free parking, £12 entrance but the footfall is massive, the catering extortionate,etc,etc. 

There are other places around Birmingham but from previous conversations I'm pretty sure Jason has explored all of them. I quite fancied the Custard Factory which is quite dead at the weekend and would be good for a multi hall approach and they are used to music events. It's a short walk from the city centre and there are several cafes in it plus other food places nearby. You'd have to pay for car parking though. 
  • TTony said:
    Can we have 2 shows next year?

@jason - that's a reasonably serious suggestion.  If you can't take the show to a bigger hall to be able to fit everyone in, perhaps do 2 shows in the same place?

And a "learn to park" course for the numpty who left the hire van blocking everyone in in the car park.
    Guitar Fest ( mini guitar show that used to be run by PMT) used to have an electric and an acoustic day although that only lasted a couple of years. 

I think he parked okay but perhaps also a driving lesson for the numpty driving his BMW aggressively in through the Exit. 
    4string said:

the history of the show was that it came from the ashes of music live. Exhibitors wouldn't pay NEC prices anymore and parking was £10 per day.
    I also went to the Camping and Caravan show at the NEC this week , five halls , free parking, £12 entrance but the footfall is massive, the catering extortionate,etc,etc. 

There are other places around Birmingham but from previous conversations I'm pretty sure Jason has explored all of them. I quite fancied the Custard Factory which is quite dead at the weekend and would be good for a multi hall approach and they are used to music events. It's a short walk from the city centre and there are several cafes in it plus other food places nearby. You'd have to pay for car parking though. 
    The real money isn't ticket prices. It's advertising. 

If you go to an exhibition at Excel in London you get bombarded with massive ads on the way in. Sponsorship everywhere. Free brochure with a sponsor plastered all over it. Screens with 4 or 5 companies advertising their latest and greatest. 

Vehicle manufacturers, IT companies, cosmetics companies etc. etc. have figured this out years ago - and they know that trade shows are great ways of whipping up a bit of hype and getting interest. I remember going to a show the year the original iPhone was launched, and there were rumours there was going to be one on display (in a cabinet - not out to actually touch!) well before the release date. 

The queue for the apple stand - and the crowds around it were truly phenomenal. The biggest winner was HP who had their stand next to Apple and had a bunch of slick laptops out - there were hordes of people playing with them whist waiting to get a glimpse of the fabled iPhone..

There's no reason you couldn't get this sort of gig going with music companies. Guitars are a consumer market now - not a professional tool. How many of the footfall at the show buy as a hobby compared to those that make money from it? 100:1? 1000:1?

I say get the manufacturers to pull their socks up now that you have the footfall and have proven just how good it can be for them.
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader

Hello, I have a plan, may be I should get some big ones up around the place. You don't get them when you come in because its a cost I don't have the money for, the big shows at excel and nec make way way more money than I do. Whilst you would say that this was a success (and for me it was) its a show that exists in the margins, big IT shows are probably making millions in profit. I did it for Music Live but that used to make £250,000 profit for my employer, I'm somewhat short of this figure, but a whole lot happier :). Thanks for coming
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    4 x 6ft x 2ft banners and everyone was told on entry!

Fairdeal said Sunday morning they took more money upstairs than they did downstairs, so it can't have been too bad
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast