THE GUITAR SHOW - comments time

What's Hot

Comments

• Very busy when I was there. There was an acoustic hall? I managed to resist the curry again this year as well as spending a load of money. The queue for curry did block off that end of the hall a bit. I managed to park on the street no problem. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jason said:
    valid point - I did here the acoustic floor was spasmodic with regards to footflow - At least twice, I had a customer, who was buying acoustic guitar strings, pass comment that they had barely seen any acoustic guitars on display this year - I asked him 'have you not been upstairs yet to the dedicated acoustic hall' - Reply was that they did not know it was there
    4 x 6ft x 2ft banners and everyone was told on entry!

Fairdeal said Sunday morning they took more money upstairs than they did downstairs, so it can't have been too bad

No biggy but I wasn't told on entry. Was no mention at all during my 10 min duration in the queue

Also it was hard to see anything on the way in with everyone hustling to get to the main hall 
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    I think the live stage needed seating, the visibility was pretty bad, struggled to see the guitar was being used never mind what amp and couldn't see what was going on at all for the meet the makers bit as the interviewees were all sat down.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Jason said:
    Was there a floor plan with who was where? 

If there wasn't, I'd like this. If there was then could you hand them out when you pay or hand your ticket in? I'd even pay a quid to have one so I could plan my walk round a bit better...
    did you not see Black Adder - 2nd series and the plan to sale around the world - The worlds finest cartographers got together and gave him a map - blank page 
    Heh, I know what you are saying - but quite seriously, every major exhibition I go to (big IT jobs in excel, Earl's Court, NEC) includes a handout with floor plan and list of exhibitors - really helps to plan a logical trip.
    Hello, I have a plan, may be I should get some big ones up around the place. You don't get them when you come in because its a cost I don't have the money for, the big shows at excel and nec make way way more money than I do. Whilst you would say that this was a success (and for me it was) its a show that exists in the margins, big IT shows are probably making millions in profit. I did it for Music Live but that used to make £250,000 profit for my employer, I'm somewhat short of this figure, but a whole lot happier :). Thanks for coming
    @Jason - don't get me wrong - in all my comments I'm not criticising at all. It's a great show, and just how busy it was on the Saturday really does prove that it's an out and out success. 

I reckon you could do a plan for free - for most of the big IT shows they attract a 'guide sponsor' - one of the big companies who sponsor the plan - with their branding on it, they pay for it, and distribute it. Costs the organiser nothing, and your punters get a plan. 

I wonder for some of the bigger names there how much they make not in sales on the day, but in future sales as people leave with an idea of what they want. IT shows sell absolutely nothing at all at the show - it's all about lead generation and future business. I'd be tempted to survey your show goers online afterwards if you can to get some figures as to how many had a potential purchase lined up as a result of the show. Real figures to give back to the big names to show them the value of the show to them. 

Of course - I know it's about quality of life for you as well. I'm glad you do the show - I had a fab time there. I'd happily help out at future shows - volunteering of course. 
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    Adamski said:
    I had fun! 

Plan of the hall would be fantastic and I think a must, there were a few times as it got busier that I got frustrated at not being able to find the stalls I was looking for. 
    Also the ticketing system is very antiquated. It was very lucky that I bought cash with me at the door as there didn't seem to be a way of paying by card (or not one that was obvious). This is 2017 - I went to a much smaller show recently that had tickets available on my phone's wallet app and scanned barcodes....
    i didn't enjoy being shepherded upstairs and made to walk around the acoustic section at 9:55am - if you've let me in the hall, then you're ready for me, it just came across a bit amateurish, rather than a well oiled machine. 
    I would also hope that the show could expand a little, even if there are not more exhibitors, just so there's more room around some of the stalls. Looking at the way it is, if it gets any more popular, there is no way New Bingley hall will sustain the numbers, both in parking and around the exhibition. 

on the plus side the interactions I had with everyone were good and the curry was banging! 
    We had a credit card machine, we took literally hundreds of transactions on it, not sure why you didn't get offered the choice???

I took the decision to push people upstairs early to get the new acoustic hall going, as it would have been empty for the first hour before people found it, I wanted to make sure it worked for them as it was a bit out of the way.

I can't expand, there is not a venue, I, you or the exhibitors are willing to pay for, the NEC would be perfect, but are you happy to pay £20+ to get in, £12 to park your car, £20 to eat, etc etc?

When I worked there, everyday onsite there was a queue of people (and I'm not making this up) who just wanted to shout at me all day long about how expensive everything was, it gets a bit wearing after a while, honestly 50 people a day telling you that you are a thief, a rip off merchant, a crook, it really sucks, and I didn't see a penny of that money and nor did my event.

Its not perfect, I know this, I wish the car park was better, I wish the venue was 20% bigger, but its not.

We had a few ideas on site, that with a bit of research may work, but you will have to leave it with me for now
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    Jason said:
    Adamski said:
    I had fun! 

Plan of the hall would be fantastic and I think a must, there were a few times as it got busier that I got frustrated at not being able to find the stalls I was looking for. 
    Also the ticketing system is very antiquated. It was very lucky that I bought cash with me at the door as there didn't seem to be a way of paying by card (or not one that was obvious). This is 2017 - I went to a much smaller show recently that had tickets available on my phone's wallet app and scanned barcodes....
    i didn't enjoy being shepherded upstairs and made to walk around the acoustic section at 9:55am - if you've let me in the hall, then you're ready for me, it just came across a bit amateurish, rather than a well oiled machine. 
    I would also hope that the show could expand a little, even if there are not more exhibitors, just so there's more room around some of the stalls. Looking at the way it is, if it gets any more popular, there is no way New Bingley hall will sustain the numbers, both in parking and around the exhibition. 

on the plus side the interactions I had with everyone were good and the curry was banging! 
    We had a credit card machine, we took literally hundreds of transactions on it, not sure why you didn't get offered the choice???

I took the decision to push people upstairs early to get the new acoustic hall going, as it would have been empty for the first hour before people found it, I wanted to make sure it worked for them as it was a bit out of the way.

I can't expand, there is not a venue, I, you or the exhibitors are willing to pay for, the NEC would be perfect, but are you happy to pay £20+ to get in, £12 to park your car, £20 to eat, etc etc?

When I worked there, everyday onsite there was a queue of people (and I'm not making this up) who just wanted to shout at me all day long about how expensive everything was, it gets a bit wearing after a while, honestly 50 people a day telling you that you are a thief, a rip off merchant, a crook, it really sucks, and I didn't see a penny of that money and nor did my event.

Its not perfect, I know this, I wish the car park was better, I wish the venue was 20% bigger, but its not.

We had a few ideas on site, that with a bit of research may work, but you will have to leave it with me for now
    Bit left field this, but could you do a summer show that was part inside and part marquee? Lots of extra space, not as much outlay as an NEC type venue. 

It would have a real festival feel to it. Southampton Boat Show does something similar. 

Once you have marquees and an outside space you can have outside catering type vans as well - maybe even an outside stage. 

I know it sounds like we are trying to fix something that isn't broken - it was just at times it felt very busy in there and it was very claustrophobic & difficult to get to some stuff to try it..
    tFB Trader
    the history of the show was that it came from the ashes of music live. Exhibitors wouldn't pay NEC prices anymore and parking was £10 per day.
    I also went to the Camping and Caravan show at the NEC this week , five halls , free parking, £12 entrance but the footfall is massive, the catering extortionate,etc,etc. 

There are other places around Birmingham but from previous conversations I'm pretty sure Jason has explored all of them. I quite fancied the Custard Factory which is quite dead at the weekend and would be good for a multi hall approach and they are used to music events. It's a short walk from the city centre and there are several cafes in it plus other food places nearby. You'd have to pay for car parking though. 
    Ahh the Camping and Caravan show, 80,000+ visitors who spend millions over the week.

The NEC has two ways of paying for parking

a) you charge everyone £12

b) you offer it free to visitors but ramp up the hall hire fee to cover it, this means the exhibition space costs more, so the exhibitors pay more to be there.

I knew Sam that used to run it, he was moaning one day that a company had pulled out (just the 1 company) that company's stand was more than the entire stand income I made from all of Music Live, the stand had cost £500,000!!!

Someone always pays, the venue makes sure of it, its sometimes not visitor, but they always get their money.

I've looked at the Custard Factory and to be honest, its really a bit shitty in places and flow would be terrible.

I've looked at every venue in the Birmingham area, TNBH, is the best on offer (even with its flaws)

The Ricoh would be perfect but now WASPS play one week and Cov City play the other there are about 5 weekends available in a (show) year and everyone wants them (you don't run shows in the summer, its financial suicide)
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Shows that reach a big audience will always be really busy.

At some shows I go to companies have a 'book a slot to chat/consult' which works really well - you get a 5 or 10 minute slot to get some dedicated time guaranteed. Really helps with people flow as well and makes things less cluttered at certain stands. 

If you were looking to expand, I'd look at a multi-hall option - Bass room, Acoustic Room, prolly even an Amps room. This also helps with footfall and flow around. 
    That works at a trade show but not a consumer show.

Multi room shows are horrible and flow is a nightmare, plus where do you put Yamaha (for example) electric guitar room, acoustic guitar room, amp room (with Line6), bass room, FX room,??

Its down to practicality that its all together, because you can repeat the Yamaha example over Headstock, Westside, Fender, they just don't have enough staff or want to pay for 4 stands

• Bit left field this, but could you do a summer show that was part inside and part marquee? Lots of extra space, not as much outlay as an NEC type venue. 

It would have a real festival feel to it. Southampton Boat Show does something similar. 

Once you have marquees and an outside space you can have outside catering type vans as well - maybe even an outside stage. 

I know it sounds like we are trying to fix something that isn't broken - it was just at times it felt very busy in there and it was very claustrophobic & difficult to get to some stuff to try it..
    This is a great idea, a few marquees for the traders would free up loads of space and shouldn't cost too much, like the idea of a festival feel!
    Jason said:
    Shows that reach a big audience will always be really busy.

At some shows I go to companies have a 'book a slot to chat/consult' which works really well - you get a 5 or 10 minute slot to get some dedicated time guaranteed. Really helps with people flow as well and makes things less cluttered at certain stands. 

If you were looking to expand, I'd look at a multi-hall option - Bass room, Acoustic Room, prolly even an Amps room. This also helps with footfall and flow around. 
    That works at a trade show but not a consumer show.

Multi room shows are horrible and flow is a nightmare, plus where do you put Yamaha (for example) electric guitar room, acoustic guitar room, amp room (with Line6), bass room, FX room,??

Its down to practicality that its all together, because you can repeat the Yamaha example over Headstock, Westside, Fender, they just don't have enough staff or want to pay for 4 stands
    Good points. Like I said - wasn't criticism at all, you clearly know your onions!

If not multi-room then zoning with the biggies like Yamaha in the middle? My biggest issue was with big crowds round the PMT/Fair Deal stands getting so busy that getting to the smaller ones around them for a good look was nigh on impossible. I honestly don't know how you deal with that sort of issue tho. 

Have you had steady growth over the last few years? My worry would be that next year you get another 10-15% increase in footfall and it start to get uncomfortable in the show at the peak times..?

And, your show is a lot better organised than a lot that I go to. 

Bit left field this, but could you do a summer show that was part inside and part marquee? Lots of extra space, not as much outlay as an NEC type venue. 

This is a great idea, a few marquees for the traders would free up loads of space and shouldn't cost too much, like the idea of a festival feel!
    I know it was my idea - but @Jason is right - a summer show is suicide. Maybe an early spring or (better) autumn show to pick up on the pre-christmas purchases if you do go for a festival feel..

Then again, the current show goers expect it in Feb now...
    tFB Trader
    Needs a bigger venue now.  Saturday was a nightmare for parking and i arrived for bang on 10am

Never seen it so busy which is great but looks now to have outgrown the venue
    Yep. Go multi hall and aim for a mini-NAMM. You have the footfall to attract some more manufacturers and you could get them to do a UK airing of their NAMM releases.. 

I would even be tempted to do a Friday as well and make it Trade Only - charge them for it and it would be a good industry meet up as well.

Honestly I don't, I wish I did, it was busy (at times very busy) but really this show and audience is so small, I did mini NAMM with Music LIve, it just doesn't work, plus NAMM is a trade show, and this is consumer, they are very different beasts. One of the mistakes my employers made and then the Music Industry Association made was to try and do Mini NAMM's. They require NEC / Excel/ Olympia type venues and the costs just don't add up.

The amount of exhibitors that told me they weren't doing Future's Olympia shows because of the costs

The industry can't afford it

A couple of years ago, I worked out there were approx 1500 music stores in the UK (this figure will unfortunately be a lot less now)

So lets say 1200

Take out the chains because they only send the group buyers, so we are probably down to 1100

Take out the half that can't be arsed / don't have the time / mom and pop beginner stores

550 potential visitors, that as a company your rep should be seeing anyway

There is no real point to have a trade show in the UK
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Jason said:
    Needs a bigger venue now.  Saturday was a nightmare for parking and i arrived for bang on 10am

Never seen it so busy which is great but looks now to have outgrown the venue
    Yep. Go multi hall and aim for a mini-NAMM. You have the footfall to attract some more manufacturers and you could get them to do a UK airing of their NAMM releases.. 

I would even be tempted to do a Friday as well and make it Trade Only - charge them for it and it would be a good industry meet up as well.

Honestly I don't, I wish I did, it was busy (at times very busy) but really this show and audience is so small, I did mini NAMM with Music LIve, it just doesn't work, plus NAMM is a trade show, and this is consumer, they are very different beasts. One of the mistakes my employers made and then the Music Industry Association made was to try and do Mini NAMM's. They require NEC / Excel/ Olympia type venues and the costs just don't add up.

The amount of exhibitors that told me they weren't doing Future's Olympia shows because of the costs

The industry can't afford it

A couple of years ago, I worked out there were approx 1500 music stores in the UK (this figure will unfortunately be a lot less now)

So lets say 1200

Take out the chains because they only send the group buyers, so we are probably down to 1100

Take out the half that can't be arsed / don't have the time / mom and pop beginner stores

550 potential visitors, that as a company your rep should be seeing anyway

There is no real point to have a trade show in the UK
    That's fair enough. And you've got figures to back that up. 

tFB Trader
    4string said:
    Went today for the first time in three years and the show has grown significantly. Surprised how loud it was on the floor, but loved the 'quiet' periods. The air horn was inspired. Bit tight down some of the aisles at peak times (12 to 1ish) and as others commented, banging curry. It would be a pity to move venues, but I can understand the temptation if you are that busy.
    I don't think NBH has the space for the show now - it's outgrown it. More bass was a great thing, but it would be really cool to get amps, guitars (manufacturers), retailers, accessories etc. into their own areas.

At the motorbike shows (like the one in the NEC) there's the manufacturers on their big fancy stands, and then an area where companies show of their latest leathers and helmets, and then a marketplace area to pick up the bargains.. it means the footfall is easier to deal with - the marketplace is always busy, but you're not jostling around to have a chat with that small boutique maker you'd like to commission a build from because there's a bunch of people trying to get to a bargain on the PMT stand.. 
    I went to the Bike show (November?? can't quite remember - didn't see anything I liked :( ) The big boys stands are subsidising the smaller stands, I can't quite see Fender et al doing that

But I am planning a redraw to see if we can ease some problems
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    Can we have 2 shows next year?

@jason - that's a reasonably serious suggestion.  If you can't take the show to a bigger hall to be able to fit everyone in, perhaps do 2 shows in the same place?

And a "learn to park" course for the numpty who left the hire van blocking everyone in in the car park.
    Guitar Fest ( mini guitar show that used to be run by PMT) used to have an electric and an acoustic day although that only lasted a couple of years. 

I think he parked okay but perhaps also a driving lesson for the numpty driving his BMW aggressively in through the Exit. 
    Guitar Fest got a massively reduced tenancy cost because it was actually a charity event that PMT fronted. Then the massively reduced costs stopped, and so did the event
    tFB Trader
    shuikit said:
    I think the live stage needed seating, the visibility was pretty bad, struggled to see the guitar was being used never mind what amp and couldn't see what was going on at all for the meet the makers bit as the interviewees were all sat down.

that was debated and because the stage was a bit more rock n roll this year I decided not to have seating, if I do a meet your maker type thing again, I'll think about it

How did that go? I never see any of the show
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    I could have killed a couple bacon rolls this morning... 6 muffins later and two cups of coffee and I had enough to get my brain thinking. I was not sure if asking the caterers for bacon rolls was an insult or not. :)

My view was the show was better than last year, quiet times were much appreciated.

A number of stands had "mini shows" on, these add to the atmosphere but as I had two right next to me where one had really bright funk scratchy guitar played allot of the time, I probably had only 30% of Sunday where there was not a loud act playing next to me I did feel that maybe those activities should be controlled a bit better/limited to slots/more focused, Sunday in particular I had several guys try my amps, including Fretboard members, and then leave as it was just too much to compete without getting silly loud ourselves.

Overall though appreciate the effort that goes into pulling something like this off, so well done Jason.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Jason said:
    4string said:
    Went today for the first time in three years and the show has grown significantly. Surprised how loud it was on the floor, but loved the 'quiet' periods. The air horn was inspired. Bit tight down some of the aisles at peak times (12 to 1ish) and as others commented, banging curry. It would be a pity to move venues, but I can understand the temptation if you are that busy.
    I don't think NBH has the space for the show now - it's outgrown it. More bass was a great thing, but it would be really cool to get amps, guitars (manufacturers), retailers, accessories etc. into their own areas.

At the motorbike shows (like the one in the NEC) there's the manufacturers on their big fancy stands, and then an area where companies show of their latest leathers and helmets, and then a marketplace area to pick up the bargains.. it means the footfall is easier to deal with - the marketplace is always busy, but you're not jostling around to have a chat with that small boutique maker you'd like to commission a build from because there's a bunch of people trying to get to a bargain on the PMT stand.. 
    I went to the Bike show (November?? can't quite remember - didn't see anything I liked :( ) The big boys stands are subsidising the smaller stands, I can't quite see Fender et al doing that

But I am planning a redraw to see if we can ease some problems
    I think I've probably said far too much already @Jason - and I don't want to get you down after a great show either! (Because it was!) 

I totally get the lack of alternate venue issue - and I take all your points about the size/scale of the industry and what the manufacturers will actually do.. 

A redraw may well help a lot. But you know your show a lot better than we do ;)

In balance:

- Quiet times worked very well
    - Great to see a broad range represented 
    - Brilliant to see so many people coming through the doors in the first place
    - It's got that show 'buzz' that some shows never have

• Jason said:
    the history of the show was that it came from the ashes of music live. Exhibitors wouldn't pay NEC prices anymore and parking was £10 per day.
    I also went to the Camping and Caravan show at the NEC this week , five halls , free parking, £12 entrance but the footfall is massive, the catering extortionate,etc,etc. 

There are other places around Birmingham but from previous conversations I'm pretty sure Jason has explored all of them. I quite fancied the Custard Factory which is quite dead at the weekend and would be good for a multi hall approach and they are used to music events. It's a short walk from the city centre and there are several cafes in it plus other food places nearby. You'd have to pay for car parking though. 
    Ahh the Camping and Caravan show, 80,000+ visitors who spend millions over the week.

The NEC has two ways of paying for parking

a) you charge everyone £12

b) you offer it free to visitors but ramp up the hall hire fee to cover it, this means the exhibition space costs more, so the exhibitors pay more to be there.

I knew Sam that used to run it, he was moaning one day that a company had pulled out (just the 1 company) that company's stand was more than the entire stand income I made from all of Music Live, the stand had cost £500,000!!!

Someone always pays, the venue makes sure of it, its sometimes not visitor, but they always get their money.

I've looked at the Custard Factory and to be honest, its really a bit shitty in places and flow would be terrible.

I've looked at every venue in the Birmingham area, TNBH, is the best on offer (even with its flaws)

The Ricoh would be perfect but now WASPS play one week and Cov City play the other there are about 5 weekends available in a (show) year and everyone wants them (you don't run shows in the summer, its financial suicide)
    I'm on a 12000 strong Facebook group for motorhomers and it's been particularly busy this week, people from all over the UK heading to the NEC. Comments like 'I'm so excited just spent £50,000 on a new Autotrail at the NEC' really not uncommon.

Most of the football stadiums have conference facilities. The Hawthorns are quite good and it is easily accessible by road ( two minutes from M5 junction 1, free car park on non match days although not huge) and not terrible by public transport (Hawthorns rail and metro stations five minutes walk) but I guess they all have that weekend issue and probably none really offer anything better than NBH :flushed: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • brownovichbrownovich Frets: 417
    edited February 2017
    On the whole I had a great day, really enjoyed the atmosphere and most importantly the gear! I always enjoy shows as it provides the chance to try so much stuff without having to put up with the "are you gonna buy that?" glare of a retailer! Somehow managed to avoid blowing much cash but was sorely tempted!

I'd echo the feedback of others, it was obviously very busy at peak times, i didnt think it was too busy to the point of it not working, (its a show, you want it to be busy) but if it grows again next year it might well be too busy to be bearable. The car park being full before the venue opens isn't good and is probably a sign that logistically the venue has been outgrown. But hell, we parked up soon enough and it was fine.

@Adamski and I kinda assumed cards weren't accepted on the door as we couldn't see a card machine anywhere on the front table. Not a biggie & should have just asked, I still tend to think in a 2005 mindset of "will they take card?" I forget its 2017 & everywhere does! :-)

Without harping on about the noise as I'm sure others will mention it, I just wanted to say it seemed to be only a few of the exhibitors flouting the rules, (to me it looked like mainly boutique amp guys) and they were doing it time after time after time. Total disregard for everyone else. Hows about a "3 strikes and we unplug your bloody amps" rule? Everyone else seemed to respect the noise rules though. 

Aside from that it was great and i'll be back next year. Curry was awesome too!

The only other thing i'd change is that @Adamski and I arrived in Birmingham quite early on Friday, so in order to get out of our hotel for a few hours we went to the cinema see "The Great Wall" starring Matt Damon. Fucking terrible movie, so if you could stop Matt Damon making anymore films it'd be greatly appreciated.