SOLO of the Month #24 - Voting (Until 4th March)

Howdy fretboarders!

Welcome to the voting thread for Solo of the Month #24

Voting closes on the 4th March at 11.50 pm.

Feel free to vote and comment in this thread.

Same deal as the main Fretboard Challenge, vote for your top 3 entries!

1st choice gets 5 points

2nd choice gets 3 points

3rd choice gets 1 point

You can find all the entries on this playlist

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm-24-2017-02

Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    edited March 2017
    yet another stupidly difficult choice to make.

5 points @stratman3142 I loved this. Off the wall in places, great ending. Just interesting to listen too.
    3 points @Rowby1 Usual high standard. Great ending. Punch at the start. Didn't win as I didn't like the tone against the track as much as stratman's
    1 point @ChrisRG I love wah. Had some really nice bits in it. I want more wah solos in SOTM!
  • 5 points @Teetonetal : I felt this slotted in (or floated over) the track the best. Nice slide. Brings to mind Beck's Bolero
    3 points @Rowby1 : It was a very close call. Great playing as usual. I just felt this dominated the backing a bit too much.
    1 points @ChrisRG : Nice tasty wah licks.

It's not a competition.
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    @mudslide73    5 points;

@imalrightjack   3 points;

@Teetonetal       1 point;

The first two started out with similar notes which must have struck a chord with me  :)
    What scale was that? Some kind of E maj scale? Mixolydian?

Were some others in E minor pentatonic?

• ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    Great playing again this month

5 points @stratman3142 - This stood out for me as the best fit for the track.  A bit quirky and well played
    3 points @Teetonetal - Great playing as usual.  Nice to hear a different take on the track with the slide.
    1 point @Rowby1 - Really good playing.  Kept up with the pace of the backing.

• markvmarkv Frets: 459
    Enjoyed these. Quite a challenge to keep interest going across the whole piece.

5 points @imalrightjack - smooth, in time and fittest the best imho. Nice tone, didn't overwhelm the backing.
    3 points @mudslide73 - another great tone
    1 point @ChrisRG - nice to hear a bit of wah!
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    5 points @stratman3142 ; - Some real crazy stuff but it all really works. Stellar playing as always and daring to be different. 
    3 points @ChrisRG - Sounds like Truth era Beck in places. Lovely stuff over the changes near the end. Lovely wah sound. 
    1 point @imalrightjack - Loads of good ideas and variation. As mentioned above super smooth and in time too.

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    5 - @imalrightjack - great bends and general feel for the track.
    3 - @Teetonetal - I'm a sucker for a slide!
    1 - @modellista - I actually think something went a bit wrong note choice right towards the end (maybe it's just me) but the rest of it was most in tune with what my ears liked. 

Well done all, I'm gonna a have a go next month and try something out of my comfort zone.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Such a quirky, busy backing track this month.  I thought those that worked best allowed the details of the track to show through whilst enhancing it with the solo.  Therefore...

5 points: @stratman3142 - a solo as esoteric as the backing, with a variety of tones and melodic themes
    3 points: @imalrightjack - just takes the top spot of the Satriani-esque efforts - plays well with the backing and some memorable phrases
    1 point: @Teetonetal - perhaps the easiest listening of the bunch, and nicely executed, couldn't place it any higher because the backing track gets lost towards the end

When I first heard the track I thought it would be tough to accompany it, as always a great collection of interpretations of a tricky month.
    Deijavoo said:
    1 - @modellista - I actually think something went a bit wrong note choice right towards the end (maybe it's just me) but the rest of it was most in tune with what my ears liked. 

My thoughts entirely.  I knew the end was a bit, well, wrong, but didn't have time to think up a better solution.  Didn't do the opening melody justice.  Must leave more time next month!
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3723
    edited March 2017
    5 - @Rowby1 - kind of similar to the first approach I took but better executed.  Lots of fun.
    3 - @ChrisRG - full marks for phrasing, allowing the track room to breathe around the playing.
    1 - @modellista - enjoyed the sweet bends and neck pick-up tone.

Like @modellista, I wasn't convinced I could work with the track.  It's unlike anything I've ever tried to play over.  I just sat down and did it in one session and, gladly, was the first to submit.  If I'd heard some of the others, I'm not sure I'd have tried.

Interesting reference to Satriani - he's somebody I've never listened to.

Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent

Interesting reference to Satriani - he's somebody I've never listened to.

I think it was a combination of the tone and some bits like the slides in 0:06 to 0:09 for example straight away reminded me of Satch.  How have you managed to avoid him all these years?! :-)

• imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3723
    edited March 2017
    @modellista I hated his appearance as an impressionable teen and it put me off! I'm not really into instrumental shred at all, much as I appreciate the ridiculous ability required. Its unattainability intimidates me!
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    Mine was a total Joe homage and I'm proud of that :) maybe I should have used the pick edge for the tapped section at the end too :) 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5834
    Wow, this was tough, but here goes.

5 Points @ChrisRG  Loved the Wah and the playing style, it fitted very well with the funkiness of the backing.

3 Points @stratman3142 Played excellently and the note choices were wonderful.

1 Point @Rowby1 Lovely tone and some nifty playing in there.

I'll have to give a thumbs up to @Teetonetal as well, I loved that and was hard to leave out. All entries are very high standard.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1258
    Third time I've voted in this and it's not getting easier to make a decision! Very close to call these but here goes before I change my mind again and run out of time to vote.

5 points @Teetonetal ;

3 points @imalrightjack ;

1 point @modellista ;

Good work by everyone though, some great tone and playing on display!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    And my vote is in ..

5 points .. @mudslide73 ;

3 points .. @stratman3142

3 point .. @Rowby1

Very high standard and it took ages for me to make up my mind.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • voting closed
    Old Is Gold