Compensated Nut

sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
edited February 2017 in Guitar
I'm not sure if it's just me but now I have rhe MM Majesty, I'm finding it's compensated nut arrangement very odd indeed, I'm used to hearing the tuning inaccuracies of a standard nut and have foundt myself a few times double checking that I'm playing the right notes. Obviously it's an adjustment issue and my ears will adapt but it's odd how relative and perceived pitch works or not. It does make me wonder if a true tempered guitar actually sounds "comfortable" or not 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3447
    Watch this,

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • I have the same Compensated nut on my MM 25th Anniversary.
    I know what you mean. In isolation it can sound more in tune than my regular Blade guitar. But as you've said, it can be strange hearing it especially in a mix. I've had another band member screaming 'Tune that F*&^%$£ Guitar!' at me, only to find it correct on the tuner.
    I took it to Jaden Rose who gave it a great set-up and checked the nut and intonation. It's just a different set of compromises than we are used to. I have considered getting a regular nut put on there.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited February 2017
    That is one BIG tuner! o ....oh nevermind. The GIANT thumb spoiled it. Not as impressed now! :lol:
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    robgilmo said:
    Watch this,

that's one way, although worth noting the offset will vary depending on your guitar set-up and playing  style.  The good bit is anyone can try it and figure out what tuning  offsets work for you.

The other way is to actually compensate the nut which can vary from a reduced nut to first fret distance (ala PRS), a slight angle on the nut, or an individual offset for each string.  Its kinda fixed in place but can be balanced with the bridge compensation.  lots of info on that here, but things like the earvana nut are as god a place to start as any.

The buzz feiten system basically uses a combination of those things along with bridge compensation offsets

Finally you can actually compensate the frets themselves, which takes you down the curvy fret/true temperament system.  That system is about as close as it gets for standard set-ups

or you can just accept the standard guitar with its tuning imperfections. not a good enough answer for some, but most are okay with it.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    Interesting vid to be sure, but it seemed geared towards capod players and acoustics.  For electrics that are not played with a capod, would this 'alternate' tuning approach still be appropriate (subject to tweaks for individual guitars as mentioned by @WezV )?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    tuning is overrated.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11593
    tFB Trader
    I'm a real fan of what the Earvana nut does both to the chords being more in tune and also the extra harmonic shimmer that the guitar has as a result.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!