633 Amps

What's Hot

Comments

• sweepy said:
    I’ve used a 633 at Jam Nights and was underwhelmed tbh, there are much better amps out there for the money 
    Wow really? Well for those prices I really didn't expect that. Way out of my pocket range anyway. Some are over 3k. May as well go for a two rock rig for that kind of money :(
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepy said:
    I’ve used a 633 at Jam Nights and was underwhelmed tbh, there are much better amps out there for the money 
    Wow really? Well for those prices I really didn't expect that. Way out of my pocket range anyway. Some are over 3k. May as well go for a two rock rig for that kind of money :(
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4181
    The one I spec’d out of curiosity came to nearly £3.2k for a 1x12 combo !
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepy said:
    The one I spec’d out of curiosity came to nearly £3.2k for a 1x12 combo !
    Stupid money if you ask me. I wonder how he's doing in shifting them at those prices 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2574
    tFB Trader
    sweepy said:
    I think take any online review like that with a pinch of salt, not wanting to diss sweepy, but there may have been something wrong with that amp, or more likely not the sort of amp for a guy names sweepy, (spend a couple of days on an amp stand at a guitar show and you will soon realize there is no one amp fits all our there)

The amps are generally well regarded and may just be the trick you are after, I know for fact that he is selling them and that he really does care about the details. Certainly speak to Cliff if you want information, he is a really nice guy and easy to talk to.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4181
    Oh I have no doubt that he is a nice chap to speak to etc but I have used the 633 on numerous occasions, it really didn’t do it for me, to drop £3k or so on an amp with a limited resale value is a big deal for most musicians and for that money I’d have a Two Rock or Bad Cat any day, but as you say it’s only my take on them and other opinions may differ etc etc and there are a lot of highly regarded amps that really are hopeless
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I wouldn't think at a show demoing one would give one much insight if its the amp for you either anyway. Can't hear a damn thing at those places :(
  • One cool addition to these amps is the cab sim output. Very handy indeed but as mentioned a hell of a price to pay for such a feature .(
    tFB Trader
    I wouldn't think at a show demoing one would give one much insight if its the amp for you either anyway. Can't hear a damn thing at those places :(
    Only thing I would say is if you can hear the amp at a busy show then you know it will cut through a band mix, if you cant then best avoid it for anything other than home use. I have not played or tried the 633 amps so have no idea what they sound like.

I don't know which model you were looking at, but if the 633 is out of reach but you are still leaning towards the two rock/dumble thing then you may want to check out Cyril at  Ryan amps in Ireland, Rob at RD (who you already know), Dan at DWJ in Liverpool and I am sure there are others that I am forgetting.
  • I wouldn't think at a show demoing one would give one much insight if its the amp for you either anyway. Can't hear a damn thing at those places :(
    Only thing I would say is if you can hear the amp at a busy show then you know it will cut through a band mix, if you cant then best avoid it for anything other than home use. I have not played or tried the 633 amps so have no idea what they sound like.

I don't know which model you were looking at, but if the 633 is out of reach but you are still leaning towards the two rock/dumble thing then you may want to check out Cyril at  Ryan amps in Ireland, Rob at RD (who you already know), Dan at DWJ in Liverpool and I am sure there are others that I am forgetting.
    Actually I'm looking at Marshall flavoured amps for a different flavour to my RD Dualist. I sometimes go out with 2 amps so the contrast would be nice :). Rift is a warm favourite at the moment :)
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    Actually I'm looking at Marshall flavoured amps for a different flavour to my RD Dualist. I sometimes go out with 2 amps so the contrast would be nice . Rift is a warm favourite at the moment
    I am sure Rift could build you something right up your street.

Since you are still shopping around for M style amps also check out the three Martins... MJW, Stoneham, and Gartone

I have been playing this setup this last week, a JTM45 clone in a 1 x 12 cab, now with a G12H Creamback, it is divine!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Actually I'm looking at Marshall flavoured amps for a different flavour to my RD Dualist. I sometimes go out with 2 amps so the contrast would be nice :). Rift is a warm favourite at the moment :)
    I am sure Rift could build you something right up your street.

Since you are still shopping around for M style amps also check out the three Martins... MJW, Stoneham, and Gartone

I have been playing this setup this last week, a JTM45 clone in a 1 x 12 cab, now with a G12H Creamback, it is divine!

Never heard of stoneham but they sound good. Gartone are great too but I'd have to have a master volume or some kind of power scaling for an amp that size 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5143
    edited September 2018
    I think Kirk Fletcher had a 633 on the latest TPS I’ll dig a link out

https://youtu.be/WspUxDSoDu0
  • tone1 said:
    I think Kirk Fletcher had a 633 on the latest TPS I’ll dig a link out

https://youtu.be/WspUxDSoDu0
    He did indeed. That's how I got to hear about them :)
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630

I was "bottle washer" in the Blackstar lab  during Cliff's time at Blackstar and I can confirm that he was a good bloke to work for.

ICBM. Cliff was responsible for the (post Five) HT range and you will be gratified to learn that he shared your contempt for the Rocket 50! He did the best he could with the design!

Dave.

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    Kirk Fletcher was using one in last week's That Pedal Show
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72258
    ecc83 said:

ICBM. Cliff was responsible for the (post Five) HT range and you will be gratified to learn that he shared your contempt for the Rocket 50! He did the best he could with the design!

It is a truly terrible speaker! I'm sure there must be *some* use for it, other than just the cheapest possible 50W speaker - perhaps there is an amp with too much bottom-end, midrange punch and volume that could do with 'taming'? ;)

I hope he didn't like the Seventy/80 either...

I think it's a real shame Blackstar were so unwilling to use different speakers - the times I've tried the later HT series amps through much better ones I've been quite impressed - I still find them a bit too dark and tight-sounding and with too much gain, but they sound a whole lot better through something like a Classic Lead 80 or a G12T-75, which is not that expensive. I also do think the 'post 5' HTs sound much better than the original HT-5.

It's nice to see both varieties of Creambacks and a Gold in his own amps - much higher quality speakers (admittedly expensive, especially the Gold) but it does show a better approach and some more thought has gone into it. The speaker is the single most important component in the signal path in many ways.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630

"speaker is the single most important component in the signal path in many ways. "

Agreed IC and it is also probably the most expensive (after cabinet?) I know we have been round this garden path before but the market that Bs are in is VERY competitive (and you have to contend with rip off artists like Behringer!)*

Yes, the Rocket is (almost) universally detested but not ALL the speakers you dislike are so by other people. The possibility must be considered that, like your "ear" is not attuned to those of the Blackstar design team in terms of electronics, you are similarly "out of step" with their speaker preferences?

I know you will say others agree with you but some of that is surely "hero worship"?!!

Blackstar are now I think in their 11th year? They have come through two recessions and a LOT of stick from the "clattering classes" in forums (we love to knock our Home successes!) but they are still there and doing well AFAIK. They must be doing something right by a lot of people's lights?

*BTW the "Buggers" HT-5 clone is advertised as a " Five watt Class A" amplifier" How they get 5W from a 12BH7 in class A I would LOVE to know!

Dave.

• First came across 633 amps at Ade Hardman's guitars in Peterborough. Played a Vanquish Legend through a prototype 633. Incredible sound. Bought the Guitar, but at that time 633 amps were in the pre production stage.

Went to see Cliff Brown in January this year. Tried most of his amps in his workshop / studio in Northampton. Finally decided on a Ruby with a 1 x 12 uprated Celestion speaker cabinet. Picked it up a couple of weeks ago.

Oh boy, what a sound! Never heard anything as good as this.

Sure, they are expensive; but if you want The Best, then you have to pay for it, I'm afraid. I won't tell you what it cost, but it was a lot! Despite the cost, I am absolutely delighted with the set up, and can recommend to anyone.

Cliff will design and modify to your request, as he did for me. Great bloke, great amps. You only have one life - go on, you know you want to.....................

• coltheox said:

First came across 633 amps at Ade Hardman's guitars in Peterborough. Played a Vanquish Legend through a prototype 633. Incredible sound. Bought the Guitar, but at that time 633 amps were in the pre production stage.

Went to see Cliff Brown in January this year. Tried most of his amps in his workshop / studio in Northampton. Finally decided on a Ruby with a 1 x 12 uprated Celestion speaker cabinet. Picked it up a couple of weeks ago.

Oh boy, what a sound! Never heard anything as good as this.

Sure, they are expensive; but if you want The Best, then you have to pay for it, I'm afraid. I won't tell you what it cost, but it was a lot! Despite the cost, I am absolutely delighted with the set up, and can recommend to anyone.

Cliff will design and modify to your request, as he did for me. Great bloke, great amps. You only have one life - go on, you know you want to.....................

Totally agree with that. Life's too short. Even shorter for me if the Mrs found out I spent that much on an amp lol
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom