Songs for an acoustic duo

Hi all,

So a friend and I are setting up an acoustic duo. We're both solid intermediate players - he likes the banging rhythm and I like to live above the fifth fret, so we play well together. I have another career, but want to be able to just take out the acoustic, play a few gigs and have fun doing it, though I do enjoy some of the more technical stuff too.
So: what are all those songs acoustic guys need to know? Also I am a reasonable banjo player and would love to be able to incorporate that into a few songs too.

Recommendations welcome
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Pop, rock or folk?
  • 'Two of Us' by The Beatles
  • a  bit of all the above. we play everything from hotel california to Passenger to Irish depending on the mood.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    edited February 2017
    Anything where a well-known song can be stripped down to recognisable elements that can be played on a guitar. There are really no guitar instrumentals which the average punter will recognise, with the exception of some Shadows and Ventures tunes, so there's very little point in playing the rest.

This pair always inspire me .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• To be honest if I heard someone doing an acoustic instrumental version of Hotel California I'd probably walk out (I assume neither of you are singing). When I think of acoustic guitar instrumental with lead and rhythm I think of things like this

or this excuse the dodgy suits : >

• um for the record we are singing ;) we're not talking about doing a totally instrumental gig in a pub haha that would be suicide.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4169
    Also I am a reasonable banjo player and would love to be able to incorporate that into a few songs too.

Well then you already know one tune you won't get away without playing if you're toting a banjo and a guitar in a pub.....

•  :)oh god. :)
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    I'm in a couple of acoustic duos, and to be honest the only limiting factors are the range of your voices. You can take any recognisable song and strip it down and rework it, as ICBM says. If you have a more creative outlook, the world is your oyster.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Wish You Were Here - Floyd
    Gallows Pole - Zeppelin (banjo)
    Tangerine - Zeppelin

• a few nice ones in there thanks.
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    edited March 2017
    We've got an acoustic 4 piece band.  A few of the songs that might suit a 2 piece

Angie - Stones
    Candy - Paulo Nuttini
    Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley
    Landslide - Fleetwood Mac
    More Than Words - Extreme
    Muddy Water Blues - Paul Rogders
    While my Guitar Gently Weeps - Beatles
    Hotel California - Acoustic (from Hell Freezes Over)
    Nobody Knows You When Your Down and Out - Clapton
    Run - Snow Patrol