A really stupid question

What's Hot
Please bear with me as this is a really stupid question and I will probably regret asking this by tomorrow.  At what experience level is it acceptable to term yourself as a guitarist? This came up in conversation with my neighbour tonight.  They referred to me as a guitarist, I said "no way am I good enough to be called that" so he asked me what the criteria was and I had to admit I could not tell him! 

Told you you it was a really stupid question! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4910
    Good question, that, @Blackjack ;- I've been playing on and off for over 50years, and I certainly don't call myself one!  I'm just a bloke who plays guitar...

On a more serious note, I guess anyone who does it for a living would be entitled to it, or possibly someone who has studied and taken graded exams.

• Somebody can call themselves a driver if they've managed to get through their test unaided.

Equally, somebody can be called a guitarist if they can get through a song unaided.

Everything else is just different flavours.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6874
    If our world leaders can call themselves professionals and get away with it, then by that standard I am a guitarist. 

A fucking bad one. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • The night I came home from my first paying gig my Dad told me I was now a guitarist.  I've been called a lot of other things but didn't get money for any of those.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Haha no i totally understand what you mean. 

Digitalscream is correct really. 

I don't like referring to myself as a guitarist, 1,because i'm crap and very inconsistent, and 2, because I cant make any of my own music up! Just don't have the knowledge of the guitar/music (scales, chords, keys etc) or the creativity. 

Id like to become a guitarist though! 

But for now I'm a guy that plays a bit of guitar haha. 
  • skunkwerx said:

I don't like referring to myself as a guitarist, 1,because i'm crap and very inconsistent, and 2, because I cant make any of my own music up! Just don't have the knowledge of the guitar/music (scales, chords, keys etc) or the creativity. 

That's kinda how I term myself! 
    A gal that makes a poor attempt at playing a bit of guitar. I too yearn to be a guitarist
  • See, I view it slightly differently. I'm a guitarist, but I'd really rather be a musician; I don't see myself as such, because what musical ability I do have is so tightly-bound to the guitar that the two are inextricable, and I'm severely limited as a result.
    <space for hire>
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782

Being called a guitarist I can accept... I play the guitar.

However, someone tried to call me a musician the other day. I then spent the next couple of minutes denying that I was anywhere near good enough to be called a musician!

People call us musicians, guitarists, all the wrong things...  

We just wanna hear how sexy we look with our best axe slung over the shoulder! Lol. 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3443
    Yup, I look awesomely sexy sat here on my kitchen chair picking my nose.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Blackjack said:
    skunkwerx said:

That's kinda how I term myself! 
    A gal that makes a poor attempt at playing a bit of guitar. I too yearn to be a guitarist
    Bet all of us who say these things are actually a lot better than we give ourselves credit for though, you know! 

But for me, no matter how bad I play or how little I learn, if I feel good playing or jamming along to some 'tallica or zoning out playing random cool sounding chords and messing about with it, then I enjoy it. N If im enjoying it, I can always 'improve' another day!