Bass practice amps

What's Hot
MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
Does anyone have any recommendations for a small (smaller the better) bass practice amp?

I'm playing more bass at home now, and although I have a 300w head + 1x15 cab at my disposal, I value my relationship with my housemates/landlord. I have a little Orange Micro Crush 3w guitar amp that I use for 6-string jamming at home, but this doesn't like my active Spector bass very much. 

I was thinking of something like maybe the Blackstar Fly Bass, but was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions? Headphones socket would be nice but not essential, and it doesn't need to be a fancy tone monster - just as long as the speakers don't fart out. Only need it for practicing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I was going to say the Line 6 Lowdown 110 if you could find one, but that's going to be way too big having read the rest of your post.

Roland Cubes are also good for small amps, but again may be too big unless you're looking at the Micro Cube Bass, which I haven't ever tried.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Peavey microbass is great and I've heard good things about the cube too. FWIW I spend hours just practicing unplugged,
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    One of the Phil Jones mini amps might fit the bill - proper good sound from a tiny package that can go loud if needed..
  • Thanks for the suggestions guys :-)

Just to clarify - i have a gigging rig that I'm happy with; it just doesn't do well for home practice (or practice in a mate's living room). Also not got a huge budget :-P

Will definitely check out the Peavey and the Cube though. Line6 would be fine but I think even the Lowdowns 1x10 are too big for what I need.
  • I have an Ampeg BA108, Only an 8" speaker but it's not what I'd call compact. Great sound from it, and a very useable EQ.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    edited February 2017

Orange Crush Bass series sound surprisingly good too.

The 25 is fine for home practice.

Has headphones socket + aux in for iPod etc.
  • The Weary household has a Fender Rumble 40 which was purchased off here somewhat cheaper than than the new prices. It's loud enough for low level jam stuff and quite versatile. I'd certainly check out the smaller ones ( the 15 and 25) for a small practice amp.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    Markbass Micromark? Small, but, impressive for its size. 
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Eden nemesis 
    great cheap and portable
  • I don't think you'd be disappointed if you bought an Ampeg BA, Fender Rumble, or Orange Crush. The smallest model of each comes in at just over £100, which are ideal bedroom/house/practice setups. The ones higher up in the ranges don't seem to useful to me - too loud and bulky for the house (I barely have my 25W Ampeg above 2) but not loud enough for useful gigging.
  • I love my Orange Crush 35B, really nice sounding amp.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    The Micro Cube RX sounds very good and has some useful features, but although it's very loud and full-sounding for something that can run on AA batteries, it's not really *that* loud... if you see what I mean :). And it's also pretty expensive, at over £200. I have one on loan at the moment (although my daughter seems to have adopted it ;) ) which I will probably buy if the owner wants to sell it, but I'm not sure if I would at the new price.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Due to noise restraints in the house I use my iPad and GarageBand. Cheap, if you've got an iPad already and tone wise it's good for practising. 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    What's the Blackstar bass fly like?