SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Universal Audio Apollo Twin Solo interface (with or without plugins)

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
edited November 2018 in Studio & Rec £
Selling my UA Apollo Twin (Thunderbolt)  - not the one that just came out at NAMM, the existing model, in perfect condition. 

It will transfer along with the bundled plugins, plus the ones that I have purchased and registered to it since owning it. 
The ones that are additional are these
http://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/plug-in-bundles/analog-classics-pro-bundle.html
and
http://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/equalizers/brainworx-bx-digital3.html

making the full list registered to the device this:

15 Plug-ins associated with System 1

1176 Classic Limiter CollectionCompressorManual
1176LN Legacy Classic Limiting AmplifierCompressorManual
1176SE Legacy Classic Limiting AmplifierCompressorManual
Brainworx bx_digital V3 EQ CollectionSpecialManual
Precision Mix Rack CollectionCh. StripManual
Pultec EQP-1A LegacyEQManual
Pultec Passive EQ CollectionEQManual
Pultec Pro EQ LegacyEQManual
Raw Plug-In for UAD-2GuitarManual
RealVerb Pro Custom Room ModelerReverbManual
Softube Amp Room Half-Stack Plug-In for UAD-2GuitarManual
Softube Bass Amp Room 8x10 Plug-In for UAD-2GuitarManual
Teletronix® LA-2A Legacy Classic Leveling AmplifierCompressorManual
Teletronix® LA-2A Leveler CollectionCompressorManual
UA 610-B Tube Preamp and EQ Plug-In for UAD-2EQManual

Total price (inc the additional plugins) : £600 (open to offers) - or £375 for just the hardware in the default plugins.

Shout with any questions
Tim
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    Open to offers 
    Red ones are better. 
  • how many instances of the UA plug-ins can you get away with on a session at the same time? I'm concerned that the Solo DSP will only let me use a few plug-ins at a time.
    how many instances of the UA plug-ins can you get away with on a session at the same time? I'm concerned that the Solo DSP will only let me use a few plug-ins at a time.
    Hi Simon,

it depends on the plugins and how you plan on using it - what a Solo won't do (and for that matter a Duo wouldn't be the best option) is power a big multitrack mix with different plugs on each track without freezing/printing the track.

Obviously with 2 main channels of input you're still going to be able to *track* well on both channels simultaneously even using something super-hungry like the Neve 1073 channel strip on both input channels - plus it'll be latency free and input impedance matched to the real deal. 

If you're mostly tracking one track at a time (or will only need to be doing intensive processing on one tracking  track at a time it gets to be even less of a strain. I would have a channel strip, couple of comps (LA2 and 1176) , and Pultec eq to give a bloody *beautiful* guitar or vocal chain (I don't own it but did the 2 week demo on Manley Voxbox  - oh my!, same for the 1073, and I really like the UA610B too) 

The resource demands are captured in the UAD instance chart  - linky here : https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/215262223-UAD-2-Instance-Chart ;

If I hadn't settled on the overall vibe yet I'd record a bare track too, so if I printed a track to free up DSP, I could (if needed) go back and process that vocal (for example) again.

The UA console application lets you save as many presets as you need (including the plug settings) so you can easily see what you had for a previous session, and replicate or amend easily. 

Is Solo a limitation, and will you always dream of more DSP? Hell yes - just spend some time on the UA forum and see how folk are always hankering for more (even when they have Octos and other stuff lol) - If I wasn't trying to free up cash I was going to go the addon Octo route.

Until recently with the updated Apollos Twins it was Solo or Duo or nothing before you had to go up to an Apollo 8 (and the commensurate cost) for more power when tracking. 

Sorry that's a bit of a ramble - hope it helps

Tim 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Most helpful Tim - thanks. I've looked at the instance chart on the UA website. So are you limited to the same extent with the number of UA plug-ins able to be used within the DAW as opposed to plug-ins applied by the Apollo when tracking?
    Yes, but most people seem to find that a Solo is as limiting as a Duo (or vice versa) so when you're in the DAW you're best adding something like a Thunderbolt Octo if you need more horsepower. 

They have obviously recently released the MkII Apollo Duos with a Quad option, but ££££

Tim
    Red ones are better. 
    Necro-bump

Also to add I'll split this if anyone wants - £375 for just the hardware (and the default plugins that come with it), or open to offers for the lot inc the additional plugins that are registered to the unit (which for clarity are the pro versions of the Pultecs, the non-legacy versions of the 1176s and La2as, and bx_digital eq. 

Located in Swindon - free delivery locally, insured postage at cost.
    Red ones are better. 
  • Just checking my understanding here - is the DSP 'limitation' down to the fact the plugin/effect is 'applied' on the Apollo itself?  So, vocals into Apollo with plugin/effect into, say, Logic - track recorded.  But then on playback is Logic playing back a recorded track with the effect, or is it routed back through the Apollo for effect to be applied upon playback, using DSP?  If the latter, then once the track is committed proper to Logic (is that what you mean by 'printing'?) then the DSP is freed up?
    Yep I think you’re hearing what I’m (badly!) saying - but to try and clarify further in case - 

forget Apollo and just think Logic - if you mix with a bunch of plugins on a track it is using CPU power to be continually rendering the audio from the plugins. 
    Once you’re happy with a track you can render it to audio and remove the plugin from the track - it’s then just an audio file - you can no longer tweak plugin settings, but you’re also no longer using CPU power to process the plugin.

For the UAD plugins, the hardware’s DSP chips do the processing, not your CPU, but the principle is the same. 

Red ones are better. 
  • Just a thought - have you got another UAD device?

Universal Audio won’t let you keep plugins without owning hardware- or at least they didn’t back in June when I sold mine.  
  • Apologies for the tardy response, work and other commitments went nuts there for a while.  Could I trouble you for a list of the default plugins?  Is the 1073 on that list?  Thanks.
    OnTheHunt said:
    Apologies for the tardy response, work and other commitments went nuts there for a while.  Could I trouble you for a list of the default plugins?  Is the 1073 on that list?  Thanks.
    Hi, no the 1073 isn't one of the defaults unfortunately 
    Red ones are better.