Elixir Optiweb

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Popped a set of these on. They're ever so slightly slippery: not nano-like, it's barely noticeable.

Seem to have slightly less tension than my usual D'Addario 10-46... not quite as solid.

They sound fine.

I normally get about 4 gigs out of my regular strings before the plains get ganky and I either change those or the whole set, so it's how well the Optiweb plains resist my horrendous acidity vs. price that will decide for me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I must be the only one in the world who likes the slipperiness of normal Elixir strings - I have them on all my guitars.

Although...I got a set of NYXLs at the show, which are going on my main guitar when the Red Lace Sensor I just bought turns up...
    +1 for elixirs. The slipperier the better!
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    This is interesting.. i may have to try some elixirs then. I like slippery because I suffer from horrendous mystery drag/stickyness. 

Currently using ernie ball cobalts. Wanted to try the steel trebles on them. The bass strings of the cobalts seem rougher when new, but that could just be me!
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • cyterytcyteryt Frets: 28
    I just tried Optiwebs on my 1967 ES 335 and I am blown away. I was using nanowebs for several years and these new strings are dope! Very metalish, clean, sparkly, live sounding. It´s really fun to play them! I have Nanowebs on my other guitars currently as I wanted to try these and I am definetely switching to optiwebs. They are really awesome natural sounding. Highly recommended
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2582
    Key for me will be whether they last as long as the nanowebs.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • cyterytcyteryt Frets: 28
    I am pretty sure they will as its their key feature
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2582
    Probably but you never know they might just have compromised a bit to get a "better" feel.  I have a few packets of nanowebs left from my last string purchase - by the time I need to buy more strings there should be a bit of feedback on how long the optiwebs stay fresh.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    I won't be trying them, elixirs make me have an allergic reaction. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Are the next set they make going to be ribbed for her pleasure??
    You're missing the point - the most important thing they do is prevent your fingers from catching tropical diseases from rosewood.

Some 'sensitive' players are happy to take the risk and use uncoated strings - a very risky strategy in my view....
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    Bought myself a set of nanowebs and then next time I'll try these.
    I've not tried elixirs for 10+ years. I just seem to remember being pissed off by all the coating flaking off over where I pick.
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1391
    Actually, my other half glanced over my shoulder as I was ordering multi-packs of Elixirs from Strings Direct and asked

"what you ordering condoms for?"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    You're missing the point - the most important thing they do is prevent your fingers from catching tropical diseases from rosewood.

Some 'sensitive' players are happy to take the risk and use uncoated strings - a very risky strategy in my view....
    turn em inside out. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    KKJale said:
    Popped a set of these on. They're ever so slightly slippery: not nano-like, it's barely noticeable.

Seem to have slightly less tension than my usual D'Addario 10-46... not quite as solid.

They sound fine.

I normally get about 4 gigs out of my regular strings before the plains get ganky and I either change those or the whole set, so it's how well the Optiweb plains resist my horrendous acidity vs. price that will decide for me. 
    Update: I've now done 11 shows with these on a Tele and they're still smooth and pretty useable, and I would say there's two or three more gigs to go before they really need changing.

That means that at £12 via eBay they're just about to skip gaily past the break-even point, making them definitely worthwhile (with the added advantage of far less time wasting changing strings).

I'm impressed. These are going to be a genuine option for me from now on, especially in summer. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom