Does a " Made in China" sticker bring a potential amp purchase to a screeching halt ?

What's Hot
TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
I want a new amp head, I simply will not buy one that is made in China. That rules out a big chunk of the market but I'm resolute in that I simply will not buy an amp made there. Hrrummph.

What about you, screeching halt or it doesn't matter ?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Marktigere1Marktigere1 Frets: 101
    As my JCA22H sounds so good, no!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I want a new amp head, I simply will not buy one that is made in China. That rules out a big chunk of the market but I'm resolute in that I simply will not buy an amp made there. Hrrummph.
    Why not? Politics, or mistrust of the build quality?

For me, doesn't matter as long as it's built well, which most are.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    edited March 2017
    I'd buy one made in China. I may already have, for all I know..

Edit:
    Yup, already have.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    edited March 2017
    ICBM said:
    Why not? Politics, or mistrust of the build quality?

For me, doesn't matter as long as it's built well, which most are.
     ICBM, I owned a cornford hellcat head that nearly brought tears of joy to my eyes when I opened it up for a look inside. Made in the UK gawd bless em. I've seen under the lid of Chinese amps and oh my god. The cheapest componentry looking like it has been thrown in and I just would not spend my money on a Chinese amp because I couldn't trust them.im sure you have looked inside amps and thought those guys care.I saw under the hood of a soldano slo100 and darned nearly got a boner.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    To be fair, literally everything is made in China, look at Apple stuff.... Dies it put people off them? Nope, it's nothing to do with where it's made these day it should be all to do with the quality of the item, 
    China makes good stuff and shite stuff 
    The USA makes good stuff and shite stuff 
    The UK makes good stuff and shite stuff 
    Germany makes good stuff and boring stuff :) 

In 2017 is makes literally no difference, remember when Japanese guitar were called jap crap... 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Not when you consider where all the valves, components, tolex etc comes from. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Is it just amps?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    Peavey consumers weren't exactly dancing in the streets when manufacturing was outsourced to China. I'd take a Peavey classic 50 made in the USA in a heartbeat, no interest in a Chinese one.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    Chinese manufacturing is some of the most advanced in the world,  I suspect  a USA made amp is only a bunch of Chinese made parts put together in the States so I can't see the issue. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    At the guitar show one of the guys stated that the best Valves at the moment are made in China ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • DasTurnipDasTurnip Frets: 22
    Interesting you should say that. I have an old USA made Peavey Classic 30 combo and the quality is absolutely appalling.
    It started blowing power tubes so I got my mate (electrical technician and has built amps himself) to have a look at it. If I remember rightly he said there was a fault with the transformer. He also said it was such a poor product it wasn't even worth fixing, hence it's still sitting here unused 6 years later. If anyone wants it for spares though let me know! :)
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I wouldn't buy from China, no way.

Sent from my iphone

13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    This sounds like trolling to me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Marktigere1Marktigere1 Frets: 101
    Also, my JCA22H has not gone wrong in 2 years so again, no!
  • Tuscan777Tuscan777 Frets: 125
    I too had a Cornford, built in the UK. Blew up twice in as many months from new.

However, I don't actually own any amps built in China. It's all UK or US for me, but this wasn't a consideration when buying if I'm honest.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    I had a mesa boogie mark 4 and rectoverb which both had issues, my first jvm had a problem (but only one, otherwise its was fine)... so you never can tell. 
  • Peavey consumers weren't exactly dancing in the streets when manufacturing was outsourced to China. I'd take a Peavey classic 50 made in the USA in a heartbeat, no interest in a Chinese one.

Fairly certain it's actually exactly the same inside. 

I have a handwired UK built amp and it's wonderful. I used to have a solid state amp that was made in the USA, and it was pretty great too. I also had a UK built Laney that was really great. 

And a Vox Valvetronix, made in China, digital modelling, NEVER went wrong and made me more money on music than all of the above combined. :)
  • DasTurnipDasTurnip Frets: 22
    Also I recently got a look inside a handwired Chinese Blackstar Artisan and it was immaculate. The idea that everything from China is terribly made seems quite outdated, there's good and bad.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2014
    @Telejester is Donald Trump and I claim my five pounds.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    No. He's Donald Hrrummph.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom