Does a " Made in China" sticker bring a potential amp purchase to a screeching halt ?

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    edited March 2017
    ICBM said:
    I want a new amp head, I simply will not buy one that is made in China. That rules out a big chunk of the market but I'm resolute in that I simply will not buy an amp made there. Hrrummph.
    Why not? Politics, or mistrust of the build quality?

What about you, screeching halt or it doesn't matter ?
    For me, doesn't matter as long as it's built well, which most are.
     ICBM, I owned a cornford hellcat head that nearly brought tears of joy to my eyes when I opened it up for a look inside. Made in the UK gawd bless em. I've seen under the lid of Chinese amps and oh my god. The cheapest componentry looking like it has been thrown in and I just would not spend my money on a Chinese amp because I couldn't trust them.im sure you have looked inside amps and thought those guys care.I saw under the hood of a soldano slo100 and darned nearly got a boner.
    So...because you saw one shitty amp made in China, you're assuming that they're all exactly the same?

That's a bit silly.

Take a look inside the chassis of a Jet City amp to educate yourself. The old ones are all designed by Mike Soldano and made to his specs; the newer ones are more designed in-house, but still made in the same factory and have the same build quality as the others. I've had a lot of Jet City amps over the last 6 or 7 years, and they've always been rock-solid...more to the point, I always get a "wow, I didn't expect it to be that well-made" comment from amp techs servicing them.

They're made in China.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Don't really care where it's from as long as it's well made. I've had plenty of problems with handwired British amps...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72248
    Telejester said:

ICBM, I owned a cornford hellcat head that nearly brought tears of joy to my eyes when I opened it up for a look inside. Made in the UK gawd bless em. I've seen under the lid of Chinese amps and oh my god. The cheapest componentry looking like it has been thrown in and I just would not spend my money on a Chinese amp because I couldn't trust them.im sure you have looked inside amps and thought those guys care.I saw under the hood of a soldano slo100 and darned nearly got a boner.
    As digitalscream said, Jet City are essentially a Soldano spin-off made in China. You'll do well to find a British-made PCB amp as good, and I've seen problems with quite a few hand wired ones too... but never a Jet City yet.

It's also noticeable that the new Vietnamese-made Marshall DSLs are more reliable than the previous UK-made series. Likewise with Fender and the Hotrods which are now made in Mexico instead of the US, which may not please Trump :).

It's nothing to do with where they're made - all to do with the design and quality management. You can have a great amp made anywhere in the world and a crap one likewise.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    My US Mesa Lonestar Special failed expensively about 6 months out of warranty - yet to the untrained eye, it looks very well built.

Country of origin wouldn't concern me in the least with an amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Telejester said:

As digitalscream said, Jet City are essentially a Soldano spin-off made in China. You'll do well to find a British-made PCB amp as good, and I've seen problems with quite a few hand wired ones too... but never a Jet City yet.

It's also noticeable that the new Vietnamese-made Marshall DSLs are more reliable than the previous UK-made series. Likewise with Fender and the Hotrods which are now made in Mexico instead of the US, which may not please Trump :).

It's nothing to do with where they're made - all to do with the design and quality management. You can have a great amp made anywhere in the world and a crap one likewise.

Rocker 30 ;)
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    My Laney Lionheart L20H is made in China and is serving me well, I'd have no problem in buying another Chinese made amp.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11745
    Danny1969 said:
    Chinese manufacturing is some of the most advanced in the world,  I suspect  a USA made amp is only a bunch of Chinese made parts put together in the States so I can't see the issue. 
    F**ks sake dude, don't tell everyone half the guitar industry is based on people not knowing that! :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeacherphilTeacherphil Frets: 128
    Vox AC30 CC1 and VHT Special 6 both made in China and sound amazing to me.
    Rocker 30 ;)
    The build quality of the Jet Citys might actually be slightly higher than the Rocker 30, although it's very close. The Orange uses crimp connectors in a few places where the JC has soldered ones, and the JC uses larger resistors. Otherwise the PCB, pot etc quality is about the same in both. Not that those things make the Rocker unreliable anyway, in fact I've never seen a dead one either. 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    edited March 2017
    but those Jet City's look really naff don't they?

I like to hear with my eyes

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10397
    What about Engl amps, made by German craftsmen !! I don't think I've seen a valve amp as poorly put together as the Savage 120
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24195
    The Chinese Hartke amps I used to use were bomb proof. I'd be happy to have them again.

• ICBM said:
    I want a new amp head, I simply will not buy one that is made in China. That rules out a big chunk of the market but I'm resolute in that I simply will not buy an amp made there. Hrrummph.
    Why not? Politics, or mistrust of the build quality?

What about you, screeching halt or it doesn't matter ?
    For me, doesn't matter as long as it's built well, which most are.
      I've seen under the lid of Chinese amps 
    Which ones?
  • Danny1969 said:
    What about Engl amps, made by German craftsmen !! I don't think I've seen a valve amp as poorly put together as the Savage 120

Funny, I saw the inside of an Engl thunder 50 head and it looked fairly flimsy and loads of wires all over the place. 
    Danny1969 said:
    I was working on a Powerball this week… give me a Chinese Bugera any day.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    For amps, no problem. An amp is just a collection of (probably Chinese) parts bolted together anyway. There's no craftsmanship involved.

Guitars however I would definitely care a lot more. A couple of low frets or a misshapened neck can make all the difference between a great guitar and a terrible one.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    Danny1969 said:
    Oh god, you've reminded me. I had a Framus Cobra which literally fell apart as I took the front panel off.
    <space for hire>
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24195
    ICBM said:
    Danny1969 said:

A mate has the Plexi tribute bugera (Infinitum?) and uses it for bass. Sounds amazing.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    ICBM said:
    Danny1969 said:

A mate has the Plexi tribute bugera (Infinitum?) and uses it for bass. Sounds amazing.
    I had a V22 that did me proud for a couple of years without problems. I gave it to my nephew and it's still going strong, great amps.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I bloody love my Jet City. Won't bother with another guitar amp. It's more than enough amp for my playing ability - and the fact it's made in China makes not one jot of difference.