Confused..... power to Fulltone '69 Fuzz

What's Hot
simonbeckwithsimonbeckwith Frets: 215
finally found a lovely sounding fuzz pedal that is perfect for what i want (Fulltone '69 Fuzz). I knew it needed a reverse polarity adaptor due to the nature of the fuzz so purchased a Diago adaptor as i am running a Diago Powerstation.

With the adaptor plugged straight in to the Diago Power Station the pedal powers up fine. If i run the rest of my pedals and add the rev.pol adaptor into the mix for the output to the fuzz, the fuzz wont power up and it cuts power to the rest of my pedals. If i unplug the patch cables it seems to power up the board but as soon as they are plugged back in it powers down the board again.

i am running 8 pedals in total

tce polytune mini
boss oc2
fulltone 69 fuzz
mxr phase 45
source audio eq
bearfoot red rooster booster
way huge echopuss
tce hof

im positive i have enough power to power the board from the powerstation.

seems like it is something to do with adding the adaptor in to the mix with everything else plugged in.

as i said, the fuzz works perfectly when i run it by itself

any ideas other than buying another power supply?

i can video the issue if needs be??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    A grounding issue I expect... can you just use a battery? The pedal will likely have a very low draw so a battery should last ages assuming you disconnect the input.
  • simonbeckwithsimonbeckwith Frets: 215
    edited March 2017
    Thats what im doing at present, not the end of the world but annoying
  • Hey mate,

I think it's because the '69 is reverse polarity you need to use an isolated power supply if you intend to run other pedals.

From a quick google the diago doesn't look like it's isolated!

So you'd either need to run just the 69 on its own, or on it's power supply, or use a battery or get an isolated power supply.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    It's because the pedal ground polarity is reversed, not just the connector. It's positive-ground, so you can't run it on the same non-isolated power chain as negative-ground pedals no matter what cable you use - it shorts out the power supply if you do.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Perfect - that makes total sense, cheers all! Best start saving for a bog boy power supply!!
  • danodano Frets: 1592
    Use a battery, it will last for years on a fuzz like that
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Back from the dead thread...........

I have a Trex Fuel tank classic - is there an adaptor i can buy that will work with the Fultone 69?
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    The orange cable is reverse polarity, but iirc, the only isolated inputs on the Classic are 12v, so not sure if it will work.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Maybe a battery only for this one. I would rather not but if the pedal won't work with the Trex then it's needs must